What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

How to fit a C Tek Trickle charger

bottlecollector

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how do I fit or can I fit a C Tek trickle charger to my RCZ. As the battery is hidden away and only one battery terminal is visible. I cannot see how you can attach the trickle charger. Any answer needs to be in simple terms as I am no good with electrics. Thank you in anticipation

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Positive to the battery, negative I think goes to a metal stud towards the front of the engine bay near the slam panel.
From memory of the RCZ.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the battery terminal you can get to is the positive the negative you can’t get to without removing the battery box, so you can use the connection on the slam panel which you also use when using jump leads

2retro

Reaction score
Doesn't necessarily have to be that particular earth point - any decent earth point in the engine bay will do. You will know you're good to go or not because the charger light will only come on when the connections are good. 👍

bottlecollector

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but I had seen that in the owners manual and have just had a look again at my car and there is only one terminal visible (not like it says in the manual, I cannot see two) this is nearest to the car front. I assume the one visible is the + terminal and the - is hidden towards the back of the battery. So I assume I connect the positive to terminal showing and the negative to a earth point on the car. Sorry but I ain't good with electrics and mechanical issues

bottlecollector

Reaction score
Just new to this forum thing so had not seen earlier replies. Thanks for bearing with me. Could I use one of the engine lifting brackets as the earth or should I just use the metal stud shown in manual. Thanks again

2retro

Reaction score
Yes, positive battery terminal is the one you can see (should see a + on the little plastic cover on it if you look closely). You can try the other lead anywhere handy really. If it's a good earth the charger will light up and start working. I use the little silver pipe at the front of the engine block. 👍

tianorth

Reaction score
This is the earth pole on the car they are referring to.
This is where the black lead (- negative lead) would connect to.

Before turning the charger on, make sure the car has shut down, eg all the computers have gone to sleep state.
Usually takes about 3-5 minutes after ignition off or unlocking etc.
If unsure connect charger, but wait 10 minutes before switching on, would ne my advice.

Attachments

• 20161112_224826.jpg
    20161112_224826.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

boatdriver

Reaction score
In the past, I have used a small solar panel plugged onto the cigarette lighter socket. The solar panel on top of the dash and trickle charged the battery quite well.

bottlecollector

Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain but how long is the main lead you get from the charger to the mains plug and if not very long can I use an ordinary extension cable to the mains. Also should I leave the bonnet open fully when it is on or can I close it a bit. I ask because the car is garaged and car usually fully covered. Thanks once again

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
I have both my cars on trickle charge and I have the charger in the engine space to the left hand side of the engine and put the extention lead up into the engine bay so the bonnet is shut down and have a safety trip out lead... It works well for me...
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

2retro

Reaction score
Yeah, you can use a regular extension lead. I wrap mine up in a plastic bag a shove it behind the front wheel, close the bonnet and lock the car since it's outside on the drive.

bottlecollector

Reaction score
I have both my cars on trickle charge and I have the charger in the engine space to the left hand side of the engine and put the extention lead up into the engine bay so the bonnet is shut down and have a safety trip out lead... It works well for me...
Les n Co
Hi what do you mean by a Safety Trip out Lead

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Like this _20200505_215604.JPGno risk of over charge _20200505_215856.JPGhope this helps you out...
Les n Co

bottlecollector

Reaction score
Hi, I eventually have bought a CTek charger and Tripout and have tried it with the bonnet open and the - lead to the small silver pipe as mentioned in a earlier question of mine and it works good but do not want to leave bonnet open all the time. Now I want to know is that by routing the main power lead under the car and into the engine compartment is it ok to close the bonnet fully without me worrying about any of the connecting leads causing a short or something and then can I lock the car using the key (Not the fob, as have always just used the key when in my garage every night) and then switching on at the mains. If anyone can understand my rabbiting on and give me a answer it would be much appreciated. Those replies to my earlier post (In March) were really useful and it seems a good piece of kit. Thankyou

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you please send some photos of your charger I am ready to put mine back on charge this weekend so have had the electrician round and put my a out door twin sockets I will post photos later this weekend

bottlecollector

Reaction score
The charger I bought is a CTEK MXS 5.0 . About £70 on EBay. See the other replies I got after posting my original question as to how to fit one to my RCZ All the advice was spot on. Seems to be working ok, time will tell. The only thing I have done in not to fully close the Bonnet as the car is in a garage overnight. Sorry no good at putting photo,s on here