What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

How to: Change map light bulbs

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Hello again. :greetings-wavingblue:

Welcome to another of Abz's how tos. Today I will talk you through changing the bulbs in your map light.

All you will need is a smallish flat head screwdriver and the replacement bulbs (See below for my recommendation).

Step one:
The only thing you need to remove is the clear cover, not the whole unit, like some older Peugeots require. All you need to do it lever it off with the screwdriver. The best place is on either the left or right as there is a little recess in the lense to get your screwdriver in.

Step two:
You will need to remove the bulbs. As I have quite fat fingers, it was quite difficult for me, so I used the screwdriver to get them out.

These are the bulbs that should be in there.

I recommend these bulbs as a suitable replacement.
http://shop.rczperformance.com/product.sc?productId=22

Or

http://www.topled.fr/Leds_auto_moto/Pla ... index.html

Put your new bulbs in and put the lense back on. And thats it :)

The bulbs I recommended have smds on both sides and one at the top. The ones I have are only one sided, so I have only put them in the side ones.

Reaction score
great post Abz, now can you show us how to change the glove box light I did everything else but this one's a little bugger. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I have just tried to do this and the lens is being very stubborn.
It feels like if I use anymore force to remove it - it's going to snap.
Did you experience the same ?

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
O Lusitanian said:
I have just tried to do this and the lens is being very stubborn.
It feels like if I use anymore force to remove it - it's going to snap.
Did you experience the same ?

The plastic cover is a little difficult to remove but take your time and maybe use a couple of thin flathead screwdrivers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I have already busted both boot lens' !
I will try to be careful but otherwise I could be in the market for some Lens Covers :roll:

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
O Lusitanian said:
Thanks, I have already busted both boot lens' !
I will try to be careful but otherwise I could be in the market for some Lens Covers :roll:

So you are not talking about the Map light light cover?

If not and you are talking about the standard lenses found in the boot (x2), door courtesy (x2), foot well (x2), and glove box (x1)...these are easy to remove. One end of the lens is used to remove them. Just make sure you get the correct end and that is easy to tell when using a small flathead screwdriver as when you slide it under the lip of the lens at the end and start to pry it out, if it really doesn't want to come out try the other end. One end will make it easy to remove. Also as prying push the lens towards the other end to give more clearance to pop it out.

All of the lenses mentioned above are interchangeable.

We also sell now RCZ Logo Projection Door Courtesy Lights (http://shop.rczperformance.com/product.sc?productId=246&categoryId=190)

A

Anonymous

I have found that some have been easy and some stubborn.
The 2 in the boot were the hardest.
The footwell were EASY (no damage there)
The one in the Glove Box is easy to pop off the lens but really fiddly to remove from the hole.
Getting this one back was really hard as you also have to relocate the on / off sprung loaded switch.
I eventually managed to jiggle the light casing back in the hole and just helped the switch (like on a fridge)
back through the hole.
I am in the process of trying to remove the 3 bulbs in the cockpit (map and reading) the lens eventually just popped off.
I use 2 eating knives to ease all around and then when I gave a little pressure in the middle of the long side nearest the window it just pinged off.
Now to try and get the bulbs out !
My fingers are far to big to get in there I am going to try and make a lasso out of some string and pull them out.
I take it that there is no need to remove the entire housing ?
Well here's hoping.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
O Lusitanian said:
I have found that some have been easy and some stubborn.
The 2 in the boot were the hardest.
The footwell were EASY (no damage there)
The one in the Glove Box is easy to pop off the lens but really fiddly to remove from the hole.
Getting this one back was really hard as you also have to relocate the on / off sprung loaded switch.
I eventually managed to jiggle the light casing back in the hole and just helped the switch (like on a fridge)
back through the hole.
I am in the process of trying to remove the 3 bulbs in the cockpit (map and reading) the lens eventually just popped off.
I use 2 eating knives to ease all around and then when I gave a little pressure in the middle of the long side nearest the window it just pinged off.
Now to try and get the bulbs out !
My fingers are far to big to get in there I am going to try and make a lasso out of some string and pull them out.
I take it that there is no need to remove the entire housing ?
Well here's hoping.

Been there done that :)

No reason to remove the entire housing, maybe use a pair of pliers to grab the bulbs.

A

Anonymous

Well that went better than expected !
Lasso was hopeless but all 3 came out no problem once encouraged with a screwdriver.

Woodso

Reaction score
I bought 10 blue LED's for £5.86 which arrived yesterday so I spent an hour replacing the bulbs in every interior light, including the footwell's, glove box and the boot. only bulb's not replaced are the map lights.

A

Anonymous

Woodso said:
I bought 10 blue LED's for £5.86 which arrived yesterday so I spent an hour replacing the bulbs in every interior light, including the footwell's, glove box and the boot. only bulb's not replaced are the map lights.

This looks great! Looking to do this to mine also with the help of Abz’s how to!

Which bulbs did you use? Do you possibly have the link please ?! We’re they all compatible with no dash warning sign etc?

Thank you! :)

Woodso

Reaction score
Link to Amazon as below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandview-10-P ... A419158031

No compatibility issue just a straight replacement of the existing bulb's, just make sure that you get a good connection in the holder.

You spend most of your time taking the light unit's apart, then putting them back together once the bulbs are replaced. Removing the light units themselves from their various positions around the car is very easy except for the one in the Glove Box, as the notch to get a screwdriver in faces the back of box but I have a hook tool which I just used to yank it out.

For some reason the picture's have uploaded upside down, sorry guy's.

Jumper

Reaction score
Abzynthe said:
Hello again. :greetings-wavingblue:

Welcome to another of Abz's how tos. Today I will talk you through changing the bulbs in your map light.

All you will need is a smallish flat head screwdriver and the replacement bulbs (See below for my recommendation).

Step one:
The only thing you need to remove is the clear cover, not the whole unit, like some older Peugeots require. All you need to do it lever it off with the screwdriver. The best place is on either the left or right as there is a little recess in the lense to get your screwdriver in.

Step two:
You will need to remove the bulbs. As I have quite fat fingers, it was quite difficult for me, so I used the screwdriver to get them out.

These are the bulbs that should be in there.

I recommend these bulbs as a suitable replacement.
http://shop.rczperformance.com/product.sc?productId=22

Or

http://www.topled.fr/Leds_auto_moto/Pla ... index.html

Put your new bulbs in and put the lense back on. And thats it :)

The bulbs I recommended have smds on both sides and one at the top. The ones I have are only one sided, so I have only put them in the side ones.

Big thanks for this guide. Done it today.