What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Has anyone manged to get their RCZ in a single garage?

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I took out a GT 2.0 HDi yesterday for a final test drive, just to check that I am certain that it's the diesel that I really want. My local dealer allowed myself and the wife to have the car to ourselves for about forty minutes, so I took the oppurtunity to take it home to see if it would fit in my garage. Not a hope in hell! This is a very wide car. I live in a modern four bedroom detached house with a single garage and there is no way this car will fit through the garage door.

Unfortunately I am still five weeks away from ordering mine, which also means that I am going to get hit with an additional £650 for the 2.5% VAT rise. :x

I have never struggled so much when trying to choose which colour I want! :crazy:

I have finally narrowed it down to Nera Black, Shark Grey or possibly Charcoal. The only problem is that I cannot find a local dealer with either a Shark Grey or Charcoal for me to look at. Oh well, it's still going to be a long old wait for me. :eusa-whistle:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Hi Hart

I had exactly the same worry as you as to whether it would fit into our single garage. We marked out the garage with the dimensions of the car, before I took delivery, which showed that we had bout 2mm to play with at the sides, coming in through the door.

When I took delivery, we had cleared the garage of pretty much everything so that there was nothing to get in the way / fall onto the car. When I got it home, my husband helped to guide me into the garage. I had to fold the mirrors in to get through the door, but had to open them again once I'd got past them, so that I could see the rear of the car, because it was difficult to tell how much room I had to play with. In all eventually, there was plenty (well I say plenty) of room to be able to get in and out of the drivers side and just enough room to be able to get the whole car in and get the door closed.

I live in an older house, but the garage is only small, smaller still at the door opening, then it gets a little wider.

Did you even try to get the car in the garage? Mind you, I remember my dealer telling me that another customer took delivery of their RCZ, got it home, put it into the garage and scratched it all down one side. Had to return the car to the garage within 2 hours to be repaired !

Just be very careful.

Hope you manage to single out the colour you prefer eventually. Whatever colour you go with, it will look stunning regardless. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi RCZ1,

My wife was guiding me in and the front parking sensors were blaring away like mad. My wife chickened out and said it was not going to fit. I have measured the garage opening and i should have 10mm either side, but i think it's going to be impracticle to try and get in it every night on my own. It does not help that my driveway slopes upwards and this makes it very difficult to see the front of the car in relation to the garage doorway. I certainly don't want to run the risk of scratching it.

I have the same problem as yourself, a narrow doorway which then opens out by at least another half a meter on both sides. I have noticed that most of the new cars for sale today have become wider than before. I guess the house builders need to start taking this into account, but i doubt very much that they will.

Oh well back to looking at the photograph's of other peoples RCZ's. ;)

Steve

RCZ1

Reaction score
Hart said:
Hi RCZ1,

My wife was guiding me in and the front parking sensors were blaring away like mad. My wife chickened out and said it was not going to fit. I have measured the garage opening and i should have 10mm either side, but i think it's going to be impracticle to try and get in it every night on my own. It does not help that my driveway slopes upwards and this makes it very difficult to see the front of the car in relation to the garage doorway. I certainly don't want to run the risk of scratching it.

I have the same problem as yourself, a narrow doorway which then opens out by at least another half a meter on both sides. I have noticed that most of the new cars for sale today have become wider than before. I guess the house builders need to start taking this into account, but i doubt very much that they will.

Oh well back to looking at the photograph's of other peoples RCZ's. ;)

Steve

Well I don't have front sensors so I didn't have the sound to scare me off. However, when I came to reverse it out of the garage the next day, the rear sensors were going all the time, but I got it in so I knew it would come out again :thumbup: What about if your wife drives it in and you guide her - just do it very slowly.

A

Anonymous

Hart said:

:eusa-whistle:

Yes.

Reverse it in every day.

Trick is to have someone watch you reverse in the first time. They can guide and re-assure you.
The Sensors go mad, rear first and then front as you pass the door stantions.
You just have to trust the person guiding you and keep going.

Once in, use an item on your garage wall as a "marker". I use the plug socket.
This tells you when you are in at the front and back of the garage in the optimum spot i.e. you are square in the middle of your garage.

I keep the mirrors out as you will usually have a couple of mm each side as you pass the door stantions.
Keep it straight and steady - and be prepared to stop if you haven't lined it up properly.
Alternatively, pop the mirrors up and there's ample space - just keep the steering wheel straight.

Finally, don't get over confident and try and increase the speed of egress from the garage - you will, one day, one fateful day, scrape your wing mirror.
(Haven't done it in this car - yet !!).

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid of your Garages People, they are here to keep your vehicle warm, dry and vandal-free.

:beer:

A

Anonymous

Oh, by the way, the Diesel is the one you want - and you want it in Dolphin Blue.

Struggle over !!

A

Anonymous

I have a garage that is just under 8 feet wide so the only cars that would fit in would have to be convertibles to allow climbing out over the top :lol: . However, my car fits in very carefully through the 8' garden gates although most times I chicken out and tuck the mirrors in until I'm past the posts and then open them up again. My neighbour's gable wall is rough cast and I'm constantly terrified I'm going to scrape against it. :crazy:

A

Anonymous

Gorwell said:
Oh, by the way, the Diesel is the one you want - and you want it in Dolphin Blue.

Struggle over !!

Hi Gorwell,

I originally looked at the Dolphin Blue. That's a colour thats still at the back of my mind. :crazy:

The biggest problem I have with my garage is the fact that my driveway is on a steep upwards slope. I can't see a damn thing going forwards and reverse is even worse. I think when I finally get my RCZ I will risk getting it into the garage, but I will get my brother over to guide me in the first time. My wife just loses her nerve. ;)

A

Anonymous

Felt confident one frosty evening after washing the car and managed to get the car in the garage, just to be sure had to fold the mirrors in when passing the door frame, I think with the mirrors out it would've been about a cm short on each side. Then painted a marker on the wall to line up with the edge of wing mirror.

A

Anonymous

hi hart
just a quick photo of the car in the garage ive got exactly the same 4 bed detached single garage my method is drive up to the door parking sensors on / pull up to the posts fold the mirrors in and switch the sensors off( they can be a bit unnerving they lock on } once through the posts fold mirrors back out so as to see rear coming through door keep the near side mirror as close to the wall as poss ( put carpet on wall} then ive put a marker on the wall were to pull up to then slide the seat well back so as to make getting out easier { door wont open wide} and thats it my other half watched me in twice but now ime solo and as long as you take your time its fine dont let a small prob put you off such a cracking car hope this helps :beer:

A

Anonymous

Hi all

We don't have a garage but our house is a link detached and we have a tunnel under the linked bit. Neither my husband or I have been brave enough to drive Flash up the tunnel. If we did get it in there is no way we would be able to get out of the doors - except if we had a chute like Hong Kong Fooey used to have, in that cartoon from years ago. Mind you whoever is in the bath directly above the tunnel might get one hell of a fright if I suddenly shoot up through the floor.

Poor Flash is even too long to fit up the drive - his beam end hangs over on to the pavement. So, the most beautiful, precious car I have ever owned spends his nights parked on the road outside our house. It is a quiet road but it freaks me out completely - other people with shall we say less precious cars have no idea how stressful it is when they park across from Flash leaving a tiny gap to get through - arrrrrgggggh.

OMG that turned into a rant but only other RCZ owners will understand how neurotic you become (especially when the car is the most expensive thing you have ever owned!)

A worried Scarlet !

A

Anonymous

Wow !!

Now that is a tight Garage.

Mine is tight at the Door Stantions, although then opens back out so that you can walk around the entire car once inside.

However, the principle is the same for getting the car into the Garage.
Couple of mentored entries, then you'll be flying solo.

As Mel has said, slow and steady is the watchword and you'll be fine.

A

Anonymous

Hi Mel,

Your garage looks exactly like mine. If you can get your RCZ in I'm sure mine will fit as well. Thanks for the tips.

What colour is yours? I can't tell whether it is Dolphin Blue or Charcoal from the photograph.

Steve

A

Anonymous

hi hart
yes the car is charcoal with frisson leather (blue and grey ) i think it all goes together very well . as you can see the garage is laid out with millatry prosision / tools/chairs/ladders/ ect and once ime out i lock the garage from inside and then side step up the side of the car to go through the utility door at the top ( this is not recomended if anyone is 20 stone plus !!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown: in my opinion thats what a garage is for ( not keeping a load of nothing in ) you will be fine with it ime sure ours are one of the tightest garages to put this car in if you are unsure of doing it solo you can get some of the foam pipe laging open it up and clip it round the timber frame on both sides and then if you get to close it only kisses the laging which will not cause any damage unlike bare wood on metal ???? on the dims mine was not supposed to fit in salesmen are not allways right good luck and if you need a steady nerve ime allways available not to much trouble for a car as good as the RCZ :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Reading last months top gear mag in the bath (as u do!) last night - I read that the RCZ is wider than both the Lamborghini Guardo and the Land Rover Discovery - good on you to those than can get their RCZ's in a single garage!!!!! :)

A

Anonymous

Scarlet said:
Reading last months top gear mag in the bath (as u do!) last night - I read that the RCZ is wider than both the Lamborghini Guardo and the Land Rover Discovery - good on you to those than can get their RCZ's in a single garage!!!!! :)
WOW! I knew it was wide, but wider than a Land Rover Discovery? Now that's wide!!! :lol:

RCZ1

Reaction score
BangorRCZ said:
Scarlet said:
WOW! I knew it was wide, but wider than a Land Rover Discovery? Now that's wide!!! :lol:

I didn't think it's wider than a Discovery. The other half has a Disco 4 and having driven both the RCZ and the Disco, the Disco is definitely wider. We've even had them stood behind one another and this confirms it also.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
BangorRCZ said:
Scarlet said:

I didn't think it's wider than a Discovery. The other half has a Disco 4 and having driven both the RCZ and the Disco, the Disco is definitely wider. We've even had them stood behind one another and this confirms it also.
Makes sense. Not too many cars could beat a Disco 4 altho the RCZ has got a mighty wide beam end :lol: