What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Happy first anniversary to my RCZ R

misterx

Reaction score
Has had its first 20,000 mile service.
Apart from the temperature sensor issue reported elsewhere on this forum some months ago, an unremarkable first year of ownership from a reliability perspective.
Two new tyres at 18,000 miles, other two still have a couple of 1,000 miles left in them.
But, sod's law struck over the weekend as I now have the pleasure of arranging an Autoglass visit to replace the windscreen, which has a very large crack that appeared from nowhere!

A

Anonymous

Happy Anniversary, I've had my RCZ R for a month now and apart from the squealing brakes which has now stopped.....it's all good :dance:

So pleased your enjoying it.

A

Anonymous

Actually just a thought....don't the RCZ R need servicing every 12500 miles???? :eusa-think:

misterx

Reaction score
Amber said:
Actually just a thought....don't the RCZ R need servicing every 12500 miles???? :eusa-think:

Not according to the service handbook. Also, the spanner sign didn't come up on the panel until well over 19,000.

misterx

Reaction score
Amber said:
Happy Anniversary, I've had my RCZ R for a month now and apart from the squealing brakes which has now stopped.....it's all good :dance:

So pleased your enjoying it.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Mine has squealing brakes too, but I have got used to it. Took it in a couple of times specifically for that, and its not really improved. It seems to get worse as the brakes warm up. Only happens when braking in a forward gear or moving forward in no gear at all. No issues when in reverse or going backwards in neutral.

Front pads now 60% worn so will see what happens when they get changed.

A

Anonymous

Mine went back in and they stripped the pads as they said there was a build up of crap on them. It definately helped, but then started again and in the last week it has gone away for good..hopefully!!

There was a threat on here from other R owners who say the servicing is 12500, but you've had it done at 20000 and it caused no problems. Very odd, mine service says it's due in 18500. I'd be interested to see what other think about this, servicing at 20000 is a lot better than 12500.

A

Anonymous

On another note, what colour have you got? Mines Moroccan Red.

misterx

Reaction score
Re the service interval, I can now see that 12,500 miles is indeed the recommended interval.

However.... my paperwork at purchase and my service handbook says 20,000 miles.
My dashboard is set to prompt the service at 20,000 miles.

I suspect this may be because mine was (allegedly) the first R in the UK and they hadn't worked out the rules by then!

I shall now have an interesting conversation with the main dealer/servicing department to ask how this affects the warranty!!!

misterx

Reaction score
I am told by my garage that based on the evidence in my possession, my warranty will not be invalidated by the extended service interval. This is helped by the fact that at 6000 miles the car was in for temperature sensor replacement.
I must of course adhere to the 12,500 mile interval from now on!!!

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Some clever guy at Peugeot back in 2010 probably messed up the miles and kilometers thing on the service sheet for the entire world. Cause The RCZ is supposed to have major services every 20k kilometers.

Maybe they thought km and miles were the same thing and just went; oh we'll just change this real quick and go for a glass of wine :lol:

A

Anonymous

Happy Anniversary, one day in the future I would like to celebrate the same event. Just need the R to come down in price :(

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Congrats on the anniversary!

I'm approaching 20k miles too. Just cracked into 18s after 7 months of ownership. I might catch you pretty soon :)

Servicing the R's engine is important. But if you do not push the limits a lot those 20k might have been ok for the engine. I for myself am in for another oil change after just 6000 miles of driving. It is down to those constant flat-outs on the autobahns :)

stagger321

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Congrats on the anniversary!

I'm approaching 20k miles too. Just cracked into 18s after 7 months of ownership. I might catch you pretty soon :)

Servicing the R's engine is important. But if you do not push the limits a lot those 20k might have been ok for the engine. I for myself am in for another oil change after just 6000 miles of driving. It is down to those constant flat-outs on the autobahns :)
Personally I would also not wait for 20K (and I know this is also your policy RCZ-R as you've had several oil changes so far :text-bravo: ).
Pug have really sc*wed up with the UK spec 'R's.
As has been mentioned 20,000Km is approx 12500 miles. The firmware needs changing to reflect this otherwise a lot of UK owners will get their cars serviced at the wrong time, and we all know how that is going to go if it comes to arguing the t*ss with Pug Uk in the event of a warranty claim.
The firmware needs fixing - simples.
Its hardly rocket science Peugeot - if you're reading this.

misterx

Reaction score
misterx said:
Re the service interval, I can now see that 12,500 miles is indeed the recommended interval.

I suspect this may be because mine was (allegedly) the first R in the UK and they hadn't worked out the rules by then!

I shall now have an interesting conversation with the main dealer/servicing department to ask how this affects the warranty!!!

Are there any RCZ R owners who have a more recent service maintenance record booklet than mine? Would be interested to know if these are now saying 12,500 miles?

stagger321

Reaction score
misterx said:
misterx said:

Are there any RCZ R owners who have a more recent service maintenance record booklet than mine? Would be interested to know if these are now saying 12,500 miles?
I don't think the service manual will change - as I don't think its RCZ-R specific.
The service interval instructions are obtained in the dealership service dept when they actually enter your VIN into their system.
They are then able to download/print a single A4 page showing manufacturers service intervals for normal and arduous driving conditions. You should be able to get a copy and keep it with your service book.
Often they just check the dash info (as was the case with me this other day) - then there's an awkward conversation with the service guys :roll: where you go "Its 12.5K", they say "No the dash is saying service different - and its the right info" followed by a pantomime "No it isn't" "Yes it is" conversation. :brickwall:

misterx

Reaction score
stagger321 said:
misterx said:
I don't think the service manual will change - as I don't think its RCZ-R specific.
The service interval instructions are obtained in the dealership service dept when they actually enter your VIN into their system.
They are then able to download/print a single A4 page showing manufacturers service intervals for normal and arduous driving conditions. You should be able to get a copy and keep it with your service book.
Often they just check the dash info (as was the case with me this other day) - then there's an awkward conversation with the service guys :roll: where you go "Its 12.5K", they say "No the dash is saying service different - and its the right info" followed by a pantomime "No it isn't" "Yes it is" conversation. :brickwall:

Although the service manual isn't RCZ specific, it gives a table of engine sizes/types and the service intervals. It also says "all others at 20,000 miles". I understand your point about the dealer/service dept being able to download/print/supply the info. My point is that information provided retrospectively is of no help if a warranty has been compromised or damage has occurred. There appears to be no mechanism for an owner to become aware of the correct service interval until it is too late. The two opportunities to get the info over to an owner are in the handbook and via the spanner symbol and if both are wrong or then it is quite a serious lapse by Peugeot. If the handbook had been updated then at least one of these bases could have been covered but as it stands I don't think Peugeot are actually communicating the required intervals at point of sale and from what you say it seems the dealerships are oblivious to these as well!

stagger321

Reaction score
misterx said:
stagger321 said:
misterx said:

Although the service manual isn't RCZ specific, it gives a table of engine sizes/types and the service intervals. It also says "all others at 20,000 miles". I understand your point about the dealer/service dept being able to download/print/supply the info. My point is that information provided retrospectively is of no help if a warranty has been compromised or damage has occurred. There appears to be no mechanism for an owner to become aware of the correct service interval until it is too late. The two opportunities to get the info over to an owner are in the handbook and via the spanner symbol and if both are wrong or then it is quite a serious lapse by Peugeot. If the handbook had been updated then at least one of these bases could have been covered but as it stands I don't think Peugeot are actually communicating the required intervals at point of sale and from what you say it seems the dealerships are oblivious to these as well!
Don't get me wrong I don't disagree with what you say. But having one base covered is pointless.
My advise above was to help give right info to owners reading this, not to clarify what PUg UK should or shouldn't do.
If you check my thread here http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8866 you will see that this has already been discussed.
The three point of info for the servicing interval :- car display, MyPeugeot web site, and RCZ manual/service book are all different. Its bonkers I know.
Bearing in mind the RCZ range is relatively low volume in car terms, and is supposed to be in its last iteration and likely will not be replaced (other thread) , I can't see Puk Uk will replace any service and owner manuals at great expense. They are as they are and we have to accept that.
What they could do, very easily, is update their firmware at the owners next service to convert KM to Miles (not a huge change), and update MyPeugeot if required.
They could also provide all owners with the one-pager I mentioned, printed off by their service dept, to keep with their log books - as per Pete G's post here http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8866#p109206

misterx

Reaction score
Yes, Stagger321, I agree with all you say.
I guess my point in a nutshell is that Peugeot should take the opportunity to proactively tell a customer (by whatever means) the service interval when they buy a car, instead of giving no/misleading info and expecting them to work it out for themselves! Anyway, rant over and back to enjoying the car.