What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

GTechniq G1

A

Anonymous

If it stays dry tomorrow, I'm going to treat my windows with GTechniq G1. I guess that as my car is only a week old, it won't be difficult to do.

I plan to give the windows a quick once-over with some Autogylm glass polish first but can someone tell me what the G2 is for that's also supplied?

Also .... once i've treated the windows, what should I clean the windows with in future, I guess Glass Polish will just take the coating off???

Thanks.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Hi Donna

The G2 is IPA - Isopropanol Alcohol. You can use it if you find it difficult to remove the G1 when you are buffing it off. It removes the excess.

Did you see the instructions that I posted on how to apply the G1? If you follow those you should be okay, just make sure all the windows are really clean before using the G1.

When cleaning the windows in the future you can just use normal glass cleaner (not polish).. I use Megs glass cleaner. It won't do the G1 any harm.

A

Anonymous

I tried this out on my partners Beetle before I did so on mine. I made a right pigs ear of it and she hates the smearing she gets when she uses the wipers. I haven't done mine as a result.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
I tried this out on my partners Beetle before I did so on mine. I made a right pigs ear of it and she hates the smearing she gets when she uses the wipers. I haven't done mine as a result.

It's the rear window I really want to do first, if that goes ok, then I'll do the windscreen!

RCZ1

Reaction score
OO58RON said:

Oh Ron, what will we do with you :eusa-think:

Windows do have to be squeaky clean. Also make sure when you buff off that you remove ALL the excess. Use the G2 if you have to or as I have done in the past, glass cleaner, as this contains alcohol which will help remove the residue. If they are you won't get smearing. We don't on our 2 cars.

Donna, it really is worth doing on your windscreen. It was raining tonight coming home from work. Didn't even get up to 30mph before the water was sheeting off the windscreen. No wipers used whatsoever - no need :thumbup:

Forgot to say buff with a thin microfibre cloth (not a real thick buffing cloth).

A

Anonymous

i have treated my last 4 cars that i have had with rain repellents and really it can be a pain to do,in hot/warm weather the application can tricky never do it in direct sunshine just like waxing keep in the shade as the repellent will not dry properly in the sun it will look greasey,and in damp/cold weather it wont cure and is a real paint to get streak free.there is a good bit of elbow grease involved doing this properly.as rcz1 says let it dry and buff off using thin microfibre cloth's.then use a finishing cloth like you would after waxing.i usually apply it to all windows then leave it for 30 mins then buff off till its perfect i have seen me buffing the windows for more 2 hours to get them perfect.a bit anal i know :(

A

Anonymous

Anyone used a Micro Fibre mitt on a polishing pad to buff the windows?

A

Anonymous

binkybmf said:
Anyone used a Micro Fibre mitt on a polishing pad to buff the windows?

these mitts are good on large surface's for taking wax off but to do windows you need to apply a fair amount pressure in small area's at a time like soldiers do with their army boots :lol:

A

Anonymous

GTechniq G1 is very good. I put 3 coat on front and rear window, and one for side and mirror. Love to watch how rain drops running. I think old cotton t-shirt is the best for buff. All microfiber cloth will remove to much due their structure. So use any cotton cloth is really good idea.

Good video about G1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsSX_kaetgw

:idea:

A

Anonymous

Think it's been too sunny to do it today, typical!! :roll:

My new bottle of Dodo Juice detailer doesn't work though! GGGrrrr ..... just squirts air! And it's typical I bought it online. Gonna have to find another spray bottle......

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:

My new bottle of Dodo Juice detailer doesn't work though! GGGrrrr ..... just squirts air! And it's typical I bought it online. Gonna have to find another spray bottle......

i always found out to my dismay that these in between wash's spray on detailers actually dont really work that well donna if thats what your talking about

RCZ1

Reaction score
donnaj1dlh said:

Donna if you contact whoever you bought it from on-line they will probably send you a replacement spray head. Was it direct from Dodo Juice, as they are very good at doing this sort of thing but others do it too, without problems usually.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1, you seem to be a bit of an expert on this subject so hopefully you can answer a couple of questions. before I buy the G1.

Will the 15ml bottle of G1 be enough to do 3 coats on front, 2 on roof and rear and one on sides? Is this enough?

My car is 6 months old would you suggest U use the G4 cleaner before applying or would some good old shampoo and a cloth suffice? (I note that it says for new glass it's not required but they recommend it for old, but whats old?)

Have you any experience with the C5 wheel armour that they sell, it's not cheap and I don't know if the 15ml bottle will do the wheels but I am happy to pay for it if it works.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Hi Ryan

Firstly, I wouldn't put G1 on the roof. I know it looks like glass but the G1 takes a LOT of elbow grease to remove it and I wouldn't fancy rubbing the roof vigorously, it would cause scratching however careful you were. You could use C2 for the roof instead. It's a sealant Gtechniq do and I have it on my roof and acts pretty much like G1.

Yes the 15 ml bottle will be enough to do 3 coats to windscreen, 2 on rear and one on sides. The thing to remember is less really is more. If you cake it on, it will be difficult to remove.

I asked Gtechniq about using G4 on a new car. They said it wasn't really necessary as it has hasn't had chance to pick up lots of contaminants etc. But having said that mine was only a month old when I first applied it to my RCZ. I used some cleanser that I had, which is a really good glass cleaner, it cleans really deeply to get my glass squeaky clean. It does need to be squeaky clean, so if I were you I would use G4 as six months is long enough to pick up contaminants. The cleaner the better. Shampoo alone won't get it clean enough.

I've not used C5 wheel armour ( its about the only Gtechniq product that I haven't) but it gets very good reviews and can last up to a year. I plan on getting some when my current alloy Protectant runs out, but you use so little of that, I'll probably be 90 by the time that happens ;) Again, with all Gtechniq products surfaces have to be squeaky clean to get the best out of them. I think the 15 ml bottle will do all your alloys with ease as again less is more.

This link explains how to apply each of their products with some videos too.
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=212121

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Thats great thanks RCZ1. Will get it all ordered now.

Just need to make sure that they never treated the wheels as part of the protection that I paid for I suppose before aplying the C5?

Oh, will it be OK on black wheels?

RCZ1

Reaction score
You can probably tell when you wash the car if any protection was applied to them. Do the alloys bead water when washed, rinsed?

It will be fine on black alloys too.

A

Anonymous

C5 Is very good but very important to make sure the wheels are spotless before applying C5 and IPA wipedown is a good idea or carpro eraser if you cant get any ipa

Only other thing i dont actually do is coat rear windscreens with Glass coatings due to sun hitting the beads which can cause distractions in the sumer in your mirror alot of cars dont have rear wipers now so its better for the water to sheet of the rear windscreen thats just my opinion of course

A

Anonymous

BespokeCarCare said:
Only other thing i dont actually do is coat rear windscreens with Glass coatings due to sun hitting the beads which can cause distractions in the sumer in

I don't really need to worry about that in Aberdeen!!! :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
You can probably tell when you wash the car if any protection was applied to them. Do the alloys bead water when washed, rinsed?

It will be fine on black alloys too.

Thanks RCZ1 I dont think they are sealed based on this.