What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Fuel filter or HPFP?

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
Hello to anyone who reads this,

I am looking for some insight please if you’re able to help me out that would be great!

So have the RCZ 200 it needs a new Lambda Sensor now I have looked at a few places for this and all have major price differences so I’m not sure what’s going on I checked Eurocarparts and it was like £170 or something crazy like that, I checked a site called G S F car parts they are wanting £70 and then I checked eBay and seen a price for like £25 I seen another site also for it for like £20 odd pounds as well for the sensor.

I just don’t want to end up ordering the wrong part here, I got a diagnostic reading from a guy who I now can’t seem to get a hold off and he just said it’s the Lambda Sensor I have now however realised you can get a rear exhaust probe lambda sensor thats the cheaper 1 I believe but I think it might be the pre lambda sensor I’m needing he didn’t specify. Also I think I read somewhere about a special tool needed, do I need a special tool to change this sensor ???

If anyone can help me with this that would be a great help!

I am also looking to change the front brake pads does anyone know if the Rcz has a self bleeding system or do you have to bleed the brakes yourself ? Hope to hear some helpful information soon cheers guys.

Pedro

Reaction score
Regarding the Lambda sensor there are 2 one is the upstream (Before the Cat) the other is the downstream (After the Cat) you need to find out if its the upstream or downstream as a code reading of Bank 1 is the upstream / bank 1 sensor 2 is the downstream you need to verify which one has issues otherwise you may replace the wrong one
Removal has 2 options 1st is a 22mm open end spanner 2nd is a specifically designed 22mm socket that slips over the wiring & is easier to work with as they can be vey tight in the threads & remember to unplug it before starting plus use plenty of WD40 soaking it around the base before you attempt to undo the sensor
Easiest option is buy a hose clamp & attach it on the caliper feed hose then you shouldn't need to bleed the whole system just top up what has comes out from the calipers

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
Regarding the Lambda sensor there are 2 one is the upstream (Before the Cat) the other is the downstream (After the Cat) you need to find out if its the upstream or downstream as a code reading of Bank 1 is the upstream / bank 1 sensor 2 is the downstream you need to verify which one has issues otherwise you may replace the wrong one
Removal has 2 options 1st is a 22mm open end spanner 2nd is a specifically designed 22mm socket that slips over the wiring & is easier to work with as they can be vey tight in the threads & remember to unplug it before starting plus use plenty of WD40 soaking it around the base before you attempt to undo the sensor
Easiest option is buy a hose clamp & attach it on the caliper feed hose then you shouldn't need to bleed the whole system just top up what has comes out from the calipers

ok thanks for that, unfortunately for me the person who done the diagnostic reading for me has buggered off somewhere and is not responding so I don’t know what sensor it is now that I need to replace. Going to need to get another reading done.

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
ok thanks for that, unfortunately for me the person who done the diagnostic reading for me has buggered off somewhere and is not responding so I don’t know what sensor it is now that I need to replace. Going to need to get another reading done.
Not sure if this would narrow it down as to what sensor it is more likely to be but when the engine light comes on on start up the car goes into limp mode after driving it for a little bit the engine light goes out and it comes out of limp mode. Something tells me it would more likely be the the pre cat sensor? What do you reckon ?

Pedro

Reaction score
You need to scan the ECU & find out if your getting a depollution fault aka Lambda sensor failure?
You can buy Belt dressing spray form ebay etc

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
You need to scan the ECU & find out if your getting a depollution fault aka Lambda sensor failure?
You can buy Belt dressing spray form ebay etc
I already know it’s a Lambda sensor it got a disagnostic reading. They just never specified which lambda sensor it was. I will just replace both of them. Pre cat lambda sensor is that the one that needs a specifically designed 22mm socket? Do you have any links as to where I can buy it ? Thanks

Pedro

Reaction score
I already know it’s a Lambda sensor it got a disagnostic reading. They just never specified which lambda sensor it was. I will just replace both of them. Pre cat lambda sensor is that the one that needs a specifically designed 22mm socket? Do you have any links as to where I can buy it ? Thanks
They are usually both same size but like I said soak them up with WD40 before you put some torque on the socket

Pedro

Reaction score
You can clean lamdba sensors as they become clogged with soot

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
Well! It turns out I don’t need a Lambda sensor at all the guy who done the first diagnostic reading for me must have been drunk.

I got another test done and it’s the Fuel Filter that needs changed. I have just ordered a fuel filter. I have tried to see online a tutorial video for changing it but I can’t see any I can’t even locate it in the engine bay, I’m wanting to do it myself as the garage can’t get my car in until the 18th! can anyone show me where it’s located and even better if there’s a video out there of the fuel filter being changed!
thanks in advance

Pedro

Reaction score
They were only fitted to "Grand Export Versions to Tropical Climes" according to Peugeot Data aka Dusty deserts somewhere in far off climates?

Attachments

• Capture fuel filter.PNG
    Capture fuel filter.PNG
    239.1 KB · Views: 9

Pedro

Reaction score
The only other one detailed is in the Tank & its the "Pick Up" or low pressure pump?

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
Jesus this car is hard work. So can you recommend what part I’m needing ? Attach a link?

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
The only other one detailed is in the Tank & its the "Pick Up" or low pressure pump?
Just read something else on the mini forum that has the Prince engines indicating it could be the high pressure fuel pump

chrismac

Reaction score
I would suggest that you have a competent Mechanic check the HPFP before condemning it. It sounds like neither you have tried so far are good.

If your car has a fuel filter its either as Pedro has shown or here.....

1620405973756.png

Attachments

• 1620405800566.png
    1620405800566.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 10

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
I would suggest that you have a competent Mechanic check the HPFP before condemning it. It sounds like neither you have tried so far are good.

If your car has a fuel filter its either as Pedro has shown or here.....

View attachment 11287
Well the second diagnostic reading that was done the mechanic said it’s come up as the fuel filter is the problem. I told them I’ll get the parts I need and get the car back into them when there is a slot.
So after hearing the car doesn’t have a fuel filter lead me to the other common problem and reading the symptoms of a high pressure fuel pump it sounds similar.
I did find a fuel filter for the car for sale on eBay but now unsure if that’s only for other country RCZ surely someone must know if the UK RCZ’s came with a fuel filter or not?

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
Well the second diagnostic reading that was done the mechanic said it’s come up as the fuel filter is the problem. I told them I’ll get the parts I need and get the car back into them when there is a slot.
So after hearing the car doesn’t have a fuel filter lead me to the other common problem and reading the symptoms of a high pressure fuel pump it sounds similar.
I did find a fuel filter for the car for sale on eBay but now unsure if that’s only for other country RCZ surely someone must know if the UK RCZ’s came with a fuel filter or not?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
U.K. RCZ’s only fuel filter is in the fuel tank and is part of the low pressure fuel pump as Pedro has pointed out.
If your HPFP is faulty, you should be getting error codes. You should also be experiencing limp mode, misfiring, etc. This can be intermittent with a failing HPFP.
You have not said if your car is having any problems, only what various mechanics have told you is wrong.

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
U.K. RCZ’s only fuel filter is in the fuel tank and is part of the low pressure fuel pump as Pedro has pointed out.
If your HPFP is faulty, you should be getting error codes. You should also be experiencing limp mode, misfiring, etc. This can be intermittent with a failing HPFP.
You have not said if your car is having any problems, only what various mechanics have told you is wrong.
The problems are going into limp mode, on cold start up feels a bit jittery for a couples seconds on take off, then once warmed up the engine light sometimes goes off and power returns or the light stays on and power will return. It cut out on me straight away once I started it up on 2 occasions but it hasn’t done that for a few weeks now it normally starts ok. The exhaust is giving out strong petrol smell.