What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

front end removal with sensor swap?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Right and so it begins....

Aid for jacking to give a bit of extra height..

Factory sensors

After market sensors

This is the hole once after market sensor removed ( the hole is 20mm across so swapping sensors over is a no no )

and this is the sensor in bits

This is the sensor connection from onside the bumper

So, after finding this out it helps me with the direction I am going....
I might ask the garage to do the work since I can't find the Parking ECU location.

Don't suppose anyone on here has a guide of how to remove the front bumper, there was one with the forge master inter-cooler ( pdf ) so if someone fitted one of these or know how to remove the front bumper or location of Sensor ECU - please let me know, Many Thanks

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the sensor ecu is in the near side rear wing area more than likely behind the boot lining. I still think the front wiring is gonna be the stumbling block, can you see any wiring for original sensors behind the front bumper?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I have all but got the inner lining removed, except I cannot get the chrome cargo d rings off.

Can see from Chris's drawing that the ecu is in the rear quarter - but where?

Haynes don't do a manual and there seem to be a few scam manuals online?

Cheers for advice though - always welcome. :clap:

A

Anonymous

My RCZ had the box located next to the rear light, passenger side.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Thanks marinipersonal,

I was looking in that area but cannot get the lining off because of the chrome luggage rings, anyone know how to remove them?

JvdBosch

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
This is the hole once after market sensor removed ( the hole is 20mm across so swapping sensors over is a no no )

If swapping sensors is a nono, then you should swap the front bumper. But that also means removing the decals, or swapping over the bonnet as well. Do you realize this consequence?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
JvdBosch said:
Plecodoras said:

If swapping sensors is a nono, then you should swap the front bumper. But that also means removing the decals, or swapping over the bonnet as well. Do you realize this consequence?

That's what I'm wanting to do. As for the decal I will just take it off, I see where you are going with removing the bonnet, but this would also entail swapping boots too. Now they are the easy bits, it's the bumper that is the hard bit.

:beer:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Eyup All....

Thought I'd give out an update to the slowgress that is the bumper swap.

Well started today and have completed the transfer of the factory bumper + sensors to donor car - yeah.. sort of !

Also, have managed to get the 'D' rings off in the boot, there is a cover with a torx screw under neath easy.

Once the paneling was off, the parking Sensor ECU is right there. The car with rear sensors has only the connections for the rear, there is physically no connection on the ECU - BUT, the car with F+R sensors has an extra connection. It is worth noting that BOTH cars have the connection in place in the loom for the front sensors, if you have the right ECU.

Follow up to now.

SO I swapped ECU's and the front bumper - Pics of all this to follow. Does it work ? kind of, you can hear the sensors activating but do not get a display, maybe an additional connection is needed under the screen - we shall see. Also, it probably needs sorting on the ecu.
Interesting - Neil the connection / harness for Front Factory sensors IS present ( in the front bumper ) on the car without sensors, it just has a blank terminator on the end to stop ingress of dirt / water, so connected no problem.

The BAD NEWS ...... dum de dum dum dummmm ......

Spent an absolute age trying to pull out the aftermarket wiring to relocate onto other car, this was unsuccessful - though I did manage to take all the bits off inside the car and in the fuse board. ( Speaker / switch / control box / earth / live crimp etc. ) But unfortunately the cable had to be cut to remove. Minimal work needed to re-connect, the hardest thing is getting the wires through the firewall into the car.

That's where I am at, at the moment, hoping to refit bumper number 2 tomorrow and tidy up..

I will post some pics at some point to show details...

One last thing - the numbers on the ECU were no where near the numbers on the Peugeot service box guide ??
maybe they were for the GT or some other model. The numbering was only one digit out, just not near to the one in the guide.

:beer:

Cheers.

tianorth

Reaction score
Have you got the numbers as I can then see what other peugeot vehicles they fit on.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done Mick sounds like your almost there :dance: maybe the media system needs a reprogram for the front sensors? :thumbup:

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
Maybe you have to say to the bsi that you have front sensors now?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Thank you all for the comments and help.... :clap:

Tia,
Have read the mirascripts and interestingly this line command;

"D336" 0 or 1 unknown
"Rear park assist" 0 or 1 enables rear park assist, graph and sound
"Front park assist" 0 or 1enables front park assist, graph and sound

could well be the answer, only that these are written for the NT4 with jukebox, so don't know if will work for the RT6 ?

As for the PP2000 I just don't have any experience with this piece of equipment, so don't know if that will do the trick.

Does anyone know if this is a MOT failure? ( parking sensors sounding but not displaying ? )..

As a further update - Today I finished replacing the other front end onto original R. Both look nice. This car has no problem with sensors or display, though I thought if the information is stored elsewhere then maybe it might show sensor error - because now there isn't any.
But this car now has the aftermarket ones fitted - and this needs completing once I can find some new connectors to connect to the system box or just buy a new system and only fit half of it. Skip that bit because then I will have to refit the sensors in the bumper - technically not a big job and the units can be bought on fleabay for £40 ish quid. Just can't see the point doing something when they are already fitted and just need 4 connectors which cost pennies.

One thing I will put out there is this - I know plenty of people who will not touch their cars because they think it is to difficult or they can't do it - electric this, ecu that, etc etc etc... and I am casting no direction when I say this - each to there own, BUT some may read on here that I have done this and in their heads they might / or will be saying .... Don't touch that car it's had the front ends swapped.... Well experience allows me to do this and I have done it no different to the garage except it hasn't cost me a huge bill - it has cost me to use a car lift and garage for the weekend. All I have done here is publicise it to maybe help or give others the confidence to undertake something like this in the future - after all it's just a car and nothing is unrepairable if you make a mistake - costly yes but not unrepairable. I maybe a bit of a nut or a perfectionist - your call, but it was available to me to do before I finally sell the R, so this is what I have done - I haven't swapped a faulty part to another car, and I liken it to changing the head unit in the audio department, no one would bat an eyelid if that's what I had done. Had I not put it out on here - no-one would be any wiser.
When I get chance to post the pics, I hope it will help and for that I will be a winner two fold.
So rant over.... and cheers for help and suggestions please keep them coming !!! :beer:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Nutty perfectionist :eusa-think: :lol: :lol:

Good on you Mick I wouldn't have a problem buying a car off you at least I'd know where to go when the front end dropped off! :lol: :lol:
Only kidding mate I know you don't do things by half!
How much do you charge an hour for spannering? :beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Mirascript works with the RT6 unit, I used it to change the map update authentication requirement so I can just update the maps with no problems.

As for MOT failure, I think the only requirement is that if equipment is fitted is must work, I don’t think there would be a necessity for it to have a display, as aftermarket sensors available elsewhere only have an audible warning and they are OK.

Having said that, I had a Megane CC that failed its MOT because of a feature not working, that it didn’t even have :shock:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Nutty perfectionist :eusa-think: :lol: :lol:

I like that Neil - Kinda sums me up !! :D :D

Good on you Mick I wouldn't have a problem buying a car off you at least I'd know where to go when the front end dropped off! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :thumbup: :lol: :lol:

How much do you charge an hour for spannering? - that's easy - a pint of lager and a packet of crisps, I said a pint of lager and a packet of crisps, CAN YOU HEAR ME - why won't you serve me?? - time please - DOH !! :lol:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Mirascript works with the RT6 unit, I used it to change the map update authentication requirement so I can just update the maps with no problems.

As for MOT failure, I think the only requirement is that if equipment is fitted is must work, I don’t think there would be a necessity for it to have a display, as aftermarket sensors available elsewhere only have an audible warning and they are OK.

Having said that, I had a Megane CC that failed its MOT because of a feature not working, that it didn’t even have :shock:

Wow !! That's harsh :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Thanks DKZ - I haven't used scripts before and I did see you used them to put a picture of your Z as your boot screen...
well done for that and for being brave to do it - messing with scripts could leave you with a busted box.
Think I might get a new kit for the old car and fit it, then when time permits get the new one in so they can do the ECU / BSI programming. To be fair I would buy a programmer and software, but hoping that I won't be doing much tinkering after this and certainly not with my next two cars, so probably not worth it.

Time is against me at mo cos of ins. so gotta get last bit sorted and then it's going on trader.

Cheers everyone.

Chris - the 4 sensor ecu = 966 382 1680

8 sensor ecu = 966 382 1780

I will get the pics up soon - anyone know what the crack is with Photobucket ?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Photobucket has decided it’s time to put money before customers. They have been emailing me daily to upgrade my “account” with them “or I might lose my photos” kind of threats.
So it seems that all of us that have free accounts might as well look elsewhere or cough up.

I assume that’s why your photos have taken on a less colourful hue ;)

tianorth

Reaction score
If you have a hotmail (or whatever name they are going by now), or Gmail account you get a free online storage to a certain amount (15gb for Gmail) create a folder and then share the folder.
Check also with your IP as they may have a free online storage.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk