What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

front end removal with sensor swap?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Final Update with pics before they are taken down. If you want them open source to photobucket.
cheers.

As some have said here, the sensor ecu is in the boot on the l/h side near rear light. It can be reached through the little door in the boot paneling, but I took the whole paneling off. The chrome D ring was held on with a torx screw behind a plastic cover.

This is the ecu for front and back ( 8 sensors )

This is the rear only ecu ( 4 sensors )

In the rear only the spare connector is in the loom ( here in white )

rear only ecu ( no connector on right )

front and rear ecu with extra white connection

part number of f+r ecu

remove the following screws nuts plugs etc

Its worth noting at this point that the bumper is held by four push clips which need to be released, and the bumper is a very tight fit, and feels like it is held in the middle of the bumper somewhere - it is not, it's just a bloody tight fit !
Bumper removed

The water connections just pull out carefully, but you need to fasten them up to stop the screenwash draining.

unplug led lights and headlight wash motor

guide points

push clips

here as seen from the r/h side - note the connection for the front sensors is in the harness and sits inside the bumper on a push clip - no need for additional cabling

wheel arch push clips, 5 need removing before bumper release. this is one of the first things to be done, but this was the best picture and it is out of sync - sorry.

this is the after market front sensor control system as fitted by Peugeot - cables cut are for display I think.

A live and neutral feed taken from here, only live when ignition on

wiper motor on r/h side needs removing and it's a bitch.

needed to remove wiper arm from motor - this was the bitch bit.

once wiper motor removed its easy access to the rubber grommet for entry through firewall

tying this up out of the way - helps

cable enters somewhere here - you can't see exactly

this is what happens if you try pull from the first indent, make sure to connect to the very bottom of the arm

getting the cable through

and eventually

getting the cables through is not easy, it feels as is something is stopping it - it is - the soundproofing and firewall, gently push with some steady controlled force and you should be ok

cables in the car - yeah

Make sure to put a drip loop to stop the water flowing down the cable and into car, the loop collects the water and it drips here instead. Always seal the hole to further stop the ingress of water into the cab

some extremely useful tools for the removal of paneling without damaging them - these were approx £11 for the set

Now finally after connecting everything back up - I was finished with this car and all working perfect - result

The new car was easier because I only needed to plug the connectors in, and didn't need to run cabling etc. But these only worked with audio not visual, as mentioned previously - the BSI AND the audio head system needed programming so that the sensors was displaying on the screen and giving an audio indication as well. ( I think only the BSI needed doing but as I was not present I cannot say for sure - this is what he told me he did ) this bit I had to succumb to the Peugeot garage because I did not have access to the PP2000 system needed to reprogramme. Incidentally the garage ( Peter Ambrose - Castleford ) charged £72 for this work, so my full cost to do the two bumpers and sensors swap over was - £140. If you wanted to do the same but only had the one car and therefore had to get a front end from the scrapyard etc which had the factory sensors in, you would just need to change the parking sensor in the boot for a F/R ECU and Peugeot quoted me £220 for this, then any additional painting required.
The point is though - it CAN be done with only the additional ECU and a bit of programming.
Hope this helps anyone if you want to do the same - good luck if you do !!
Finally - just a reminder ! Stanley knives are very sharp !!!!!

:beer:

2retro

Reaction score
Oh, so it was just an hour or so's work for this small mod and off down the pub for you then! ;)

Plecodoras

Reaction score
2retro said:
Oh, so it was just an hour or so's work for this small mod and off down the pub for you then! ;)

:D

I know it did take a little longer than I thought, but this was mainly down to the fact the connectors on the after market sensors - all snapped in the firewall and I had to contact the company that makes these and buy new sensor leads, and it was a pain getting them into the car.

If you were to do this with all factory fitted - it would be relatively straight forward - almost dare I say it - plug and play. Looking at buying the full PP2000 and setting a laptop up to solely use for the diagnostic / re-programming.

Thanks for kind comments - any questions which I have not made clear - just ask.

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
So the cables Go through the firewall Into the car and Then?

How are they connected with the unit in the back of the car?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
ONLY AEK said:
So the cables Go through the firewall Into the car and Then?

How are they connected with the unit in the back of the car?

AEK the cables you see me feeding into the car through the firewall - these were for the aftermarket sensor system, as shown with the little black box and yellow sticker.
If you were fitting factory fitted sensors from another car - it is easy. The control box for both front and rear sensors is located in the boot. If it only has rear sensors then the ECU in the boot does not have the white connector on it, but the wiring has the connector behind the box. All you need to do is unplug the old ecu and plug the new one in which has the white connector ( this ECU is for front and rear sensors ). The actual sensors fitted in the front bumper, connect to the wiring harness which feeds your r/h side daylight running light and the motor for the headlight washers if fitted, and it sits attached to the bumper with a dummy plug on to stop water ingress. After that you will need to reprogramme the BSI / audio system for the displaying of the front sensors.
You do not need to run any cables anywhere, they are already in the harness not connected. Always check first before buying another front bumper or the sensors from another Z.
Hope that helps.

RCZash

Reaction score
Hi Mick
Well done, great post very helpful, not that I will be doing that anytime soon. Like never. :thumbup:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
RCZash said:
Hi Mick
Well done, great post very helpful, not that I will be doing that anytime soon. Like never. :thumbup:

Hi thanks Jeff hope you and yours are well,

Although I did this for my own means, I thought I would post it, some part of it might be useful to someone and I kind of felt good knowing I have done something which my Peugeot garage said could not be done.

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
so i resurrect this thread..
i have changed the ecu (oem) with the one for both back and front sensors
i have plugged it and plugged the front sensors (new but aftermarket), i used the oem wirring from a crashed car.
Nothing worked at this point (neither the front nor the back that worked fine before)
I went to a dealer and activated both front and back sensors
Nothing happened, i still get an error for all the system
The error says fault on the front side parking sensors (left and right) but noone works
Our cars don't have side ones, only four for both back and front
Any ideas?
Dealer wants me to leave the car so he can check it again, ideally he wants a vin number from a car that has from the factory the front parking sesnsors
If any member wants to help me please send me a pm with your vin number (if you have tpms on even better because this is my next project)
thank you

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
so i resurrect this thread..
i have changed the ecu (oem) with the one for both back and front sensors
i have plugged it and plugged the front sensors (new but aftermarket), i used the oem wirring from a crashed car.
Nothing worked at this point (neither the front nor the back that worked fine before)
I went to a dealer and activated both front and back sensors
Nothing happened, i still get an error for all the system
The error says fault on the front side parking sensors (left and right) but noone works
Our cars don't have side ones, only four for both back and front
Any ideas?
Dealer wants me to leave the car so he can check it again, ideally he wants a vin number from a car that has from the factory the front parking sesnsors
If any member wants to help me please send me a pm with your vin number (if you have tpms on even better because this is my next project)
thank you
I’ve pm’d you