What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

'Flashy Brake Lights'

A

Anonymous

I was watching the Porsche Carrera GB Races from Brands Hatch this weekend and noticed that the Brake Lights on the Porsche,when activated, didnt just light up; They flashed alternatively, Left & right. I dont know if this is a new Porsche 'gimmick', but I thought it was neat. I ve not seen these before;Has anyone else noticed these?
I must admit, I wouldnt mind this addition, because they worked well in getting the following cars attention.

Your opinions please.

Mal

A

Anonymous

My son has a flashing third brake light on his Focus RS. It flashes for 5-10 ten seconds then stays of constant like normal brake light.

You could wire this into you main brake light system so all the brake lights flash.

I know he got it off the internet

I do not know if its legal though

A

Anonymous

race0360 said:
My son has a flashing third brake light on his Focus RS. It flashes for 5-10 ten seconds then stays of constant like normal brake light.

You could wire this into you main brake light system so all the brake lights flash.

I know he got it off the internet

I do not know if its legal though

Used to have a BackOff device on my Vespa that did exactly that, you can see them here. Don't know how hard it would be to build it into a car.

A

Anonymous

quite a lot of new cars use it as a safety feature. it flashes when you brake hard, so that when you are on the motorway, people can tell that you are braking very hard. Quite cool lookin aswell :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

JOAKES said:
quite a lot of new cars use it as a safety feature. it flashes when you brake hard, so that when you are on the motorway, people can tell that you are braking very hard. Quite cool lookin aswell :thumbup:

The RCZ should do that when you do an emergency brake. My 207 did. :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

I thought the RCZ put on the emergency indicators when it detected an emergency brake?

A

Anonymous

Different cars do different things. Not site what the RCZ does

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses re the Brake lights, but I tried to explain that, the lights flash left side -right side,left-right etc.with an interval approx 0.5 sec per side not flashing like Hazaard lights ! comprendez.

A

Anonymous

Yes we get it...we just changed the car form Porsche to RCZ which flashes both simultaneously on a hard brake!

A

Anonymous

I bought one of these ('Blinking Smart Stop' from Kahtec.com) so now only have to fit it...

As the third brake light is not covered by instructions in the manual (it states a dealer fit item) does anyone know how to access the third brake light? It looks like I have to remove the whole of the inner boot lining, is that correct? :eusa-think:

samwell

Reaction score
Is this not just the LED style rear lights playing tricks with the camera? It happens with many new cars with LED-style rear lights, whenever I see a Veyron on TV its lights are going mental. Something to do with the way LED's flicker extremely quickly and the frame rate it is recorded at.

Best example I can find is this at 3:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqSedWSu2k

However, it may simply be the brake lights flashing so warn of hard braking, can't see them bothering with that on race cars though... :eusa-think:

EDIT - please ignore this if you weren't watching it on TV lol!

A

Anonymous

samwell said:
Is this not just the LED style rear lights playing tricks with the camera? It happens with many new cars with LED-style rear lights, whenever I see a Veyron on TV its lights are going mental. Something to do with the way LED's flicker extremely quickly and the frame rate it is recorded at.

Best example I can find is this at 3:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqSedWSu2k

However, it may simply be the brake lights flashing so warn of hard braking, can't see them bothering with that on race cars though... :eusa-think:

EDIT - please ignore this if you weren't watching it on TV lol!

You are correct. This type of flashing is caused by the LED lights interacting with the camera and is only visible on playback, not 'in real life'.

Here is a better example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjaSj6mo ... =fvwp&NR=1

The product I have bought flashes the centre brake light six times when you first brake. There is a delay built in so this does not happen repeatedly if you are crawling in traffic. The idea is to alert people behind you and prevent a rear-end collision not annoy them senseless! :evil:

A

Anonymous

I take it no one knows the answer to my original question then?
"As the third brake light is not covered by instructions in the manual (it states a dealer fit item) does anyone know how to access the third brake light? It looks like I have to remove the whole of the inner boot lining, is that correct?"

Not sure if you take the light unit out from the outside maybe (gaining access via the rear wing/spoiler) or you have to remove the inside of the boot lid. I'm reluctant to do this just to check as knowing my luck I'll probably break off the plastic fixing studs.

A

Anonymous

I have just fitted a flashing brake unit from the linked site to my Third brake light, took about an hour with wiring.

Just take all the push buttons out the boot lid liner and hinge covers and it drops out as a complete unit. You can access the wiring for the modification and mount the little unit with ease.

If you need to remove the third brakelight it is removed from the inside and is secured with torq screws. the unit is one sealed unit and all LED's

I do like this simple modification to the third brakelight. If its legal or not it, am I bothered NO.

A

Anonymous

I believe there are legal so as long as they do not flash too much. For instance the Alfa Romeo MiTo brake lights turn on more when pressed harder.

My mums old BMW X5 4.8ils brakes lit up more when brakes pressed harder.

A

Anonymous

Where is this unit available from ? and what is the cost ? Interesting what !