What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

"ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You might not when you find out how much it costs! :lol:

A

Anonymous

Re: "ENGINE FAULT REPAIR NEEDED"

Ok. So Darcy been in garage all week and both boost pressure and some other sensor been replaced and looking like it the turbo needs replacing. Waiting for a price before I proceed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

My mechanic has a man who custom builds turbos. Apparently ours is in 3 parts and he can replace just one part. Before he does that he wants to try disconnecting all the pipes and checking for tears or leaks. The turbo part comes in around £350 so on top of the £350 already paid it is startign to add up.... but an upgrade would cost and all I saw that I liked was a Cupra Bronze Limited Edition SEAT (a snip at £36k :wtf: ). Darcy is just better than other cars so I will fix him.

I've never been this attached to a car!!

On a positive note, got in today and the air con works! Changing one of the other sensors must have just fixed it :dance:

adammaster

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and I want to ask about the engine fault. I had a look through this thread, but it seems like there is no one clear answer to this. My car is 2011 peugeot rcz gt 200. I have a video of what was happening and I'll write down everything what was happening so far and if anyone would be happy to read it.
I only had the car for about 4 months and I had Ignition coil, oil, oil filters and spark plugs replaced. I had this error checked and my mechanic said it must be the ignition coil but it seems like it's not. I had the error checked, but I cannot remember what the error code was :confused:

The first time I had engine fault message was in the first month after I bought the car.
-It happened about 10-15 times over the next 2 months.
-Most of the time it happened at high revs or on the motorway at high speed.
-Sometimes the car went into the limp mode, sometimes it did not
-Sometimes the error was gone when I turned the engine off and on after few minutes, sometimes a day or two
-Sometimes the engine was working ok, sometimes it seemed like 1/4 of the engine was working ( like on the video) and it sounded like a tractor
-We could not find the fault and I had ignition coil replaced, but it did not help
-My mechanic suggested that if I get my fuel from the supermarket I should get fuel from BP instead as supermarket's fuel may be not good. After I started getting fuel from BP I did not have the error for over a month, so maybe there is something in this.
-Now when I thought this is fixed after I switched to a better fuel it happened again.

If you have any ideas what could be wrong, I would really appreciate your help, Thank You

VID_20191228_221325 - Streamable

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, most likely the high pressure fuel pump, very common issue and especially if it’s happening at high revs / speed when your engine requires high fuel delivery.

NF7

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and I want to ask about the engine fault. I had a look through this thread, but it seems like there is no one clear answer to this. My car is 2011 peugeot rcz gt 200. I have a video of what was happening and I'll write down everything what was happening so far and if anyone would be happy to read it.
I only had the car for about 4 months and I had Ignition coil, oil, oil filters and spark plugs replaced. I had this error checked and my mechanic said it must be the ignition coil but it seems like it's not. I had the error checked, but I cannot remember what the error code was :confused:

The first time I had engine fault message was in the first month after I bought the car.
-It happened about 10-15 times over the next 2 months.
-Most of the time it happened at high revs or on the motorway at high speed.
-Sometimes the car went into the limp mode, sometimes it did not
-Sometimes the error was gone when I turned the engine off and on after few minutes, sometimes a day or two
-Sometimes the engine was working ok, sometimes it seemed like 1/4 of the engine was working ( like on the video) and it sounded like a tractor
-We could not find the fault and I had ignition coil replaced, but it did not help
-My mechanic suggested that if I get my fuel from the supermarket I should get fuel from BP instead as supermarket's fuel may be not good. After I started getting fuel from BP I did not have the error for over a month, so maybe there is something in this.
-Now when I thought this is fixed after I switched to a better fuel it happened again.

If you have any ideas what could be wrong, I would really appreciate your help, Thank You

VID_20191228_221325 - Streamable
I have the same issue. Mine happened on the motorway at around 150kmh. Went into limp mode, with no acceleration. Engine Fault: Repair Needed light is on, the car starts normally, for about 3 seconds the RPM goes from normal (little below 1000) to around 500, with lots of vibration. Checked the OIL (fine), checked the coolant (fine). Getting it to a mechanic to check the error codes on OBD2. Hopefully, it won't be expensive, just bought the car a month ago.

What was wrong on yours?

UPDATE:

Error P1340 Misfire on cylinder4; risk of destroying catalytic converter
Error P1062 Variable valve lift system. Position regulation fault

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
P1340 Camshaft position sensor B circuit malfunction Multiple misfires has been known to interfere with Crankshaft position sensor causing timing issues
P1062 Variable Valve timing Bank 1 Limp home mode full stroke position not reached check the wiring at Vanos can relate to Engine control module fault

NF7

Reaction score
P1340 Camshaft position sensor B circuit malfunction Multiple misfires has been known to interfere with Crankshaft position sensor causing timing issues
P1062 Variable Valve timing Bank 1 Limp home mode full stroke position not reached check the wiring at Vanos can relate to Engine control module fault
Thank you. Car goes to the mechanic on Monday, will report back.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Misfire on cylinder 4 is often associated with a failing HPFP also 🤔

NF7

Reaction score
Misfire on cylinder 4 is often associated with a failing HPFP also 🤔
Yes, I looked at that as well. Hopefully, it's a sensor or HPFP. Then it's a fairly cheap repair. Anything else it's expensive as I was informed.

thornebt

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the HPFP is a cheap repair unless you buy a reconditioned pump from Ebay and fit it yourself. Perhaps repairs like this are cheaper in Slovenia? Cheers. Bruce.

NF7

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the HPFP is a cheap repair unless you buy a reconditioned pump from Ebay and fit it yourself. Perhaps repairs like this are cheaper in Slovenia? Cheers. Bruce.
Maybe I should have used "not as expensive" other than fairly cheap compared to the repairs on my previous car, where anything was upwards of 700€. HFPF should be around 400€ (at the Peugeot dealer here) and 50-100 should be work. So in my book, that fairly cheap compared to my previous car 😅 Although I still hope it's a faulty sensor as the error code suggests.

EDIT: Question. I've read somewhere that higher octane fuels are better for THP engines? Is this true? Should I fill the car with 100 fuel? I've filled it now everytime with 95.

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Yes Use 99 Ron in these type of Engines as it helps to keep the Valve Chambers cleaner as they combust

Reactions: NF7

Dedra1

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles...I would advise everyone to buy a good fault code reader, they are only about £120 on ebay.
The OBD plug (On Board Diagnostic plug) is behind the ashtray next to gearstick. Lift out ashtray & rubber mat & you will see
16 pin socket plug. Plug in scanner & follow the easy instructions to get fault code (i use iCarsoft scanner).
Once you have the fault code either the scanner itself can tell you what fault is, and/or look up fault code on net.
Using the your own scanner saves lots of money & wasted trips to dealers.
I also have a Mercedes & have used the same multicar OBD scanner which has literally saved me £1500 in garage bills so far....
My RCZ through up quite a few codes (2010 auto model) which helped me to believe what my local independent garage was telling me.
It went into limp mode as well & this turned out to be faulty oil soleniod sensor which requires buying new pump...
also scanner advised me of dreaded P0016 code for the timing ie new timing chain required!!!
Once you have the fault codes you can advise independent garage of what is wrong &/or fix the fault yourself!
Do not buy the cheap OBD scanners as they don't have enough functions.
Good luck & hope it gets sorted!
T

NF7

Reaction score
UPDATE on the 1) Error P1340 Misfire on cylinder4; risk of destroying catalytic converter and 2) Error P1062 Variable valve lift system. Position regulation fault

The car went to the mechanic today. He has experience with BMW/Mini repairs and he kind of knew what is usually the problem when these error codes come up. I don't really know what he did, since my father picked up the car due to me being at work. Some sensor or something with electronics went haywire - words of my father. Since the car was in the shop and summer is coming, he also cleaned the AC and filled it with new gas.

Everything combined, he charged me 70€. I'll see tomorrow if everything is fine when I pick up the car from my father's place and going with it for a test drive and I'll post an update.

Quick question - until now I was filling the car with 95 octane fuel. If I want to fill it with a premium 98/100 octane fuel, do I have to completely drain the fuel out of the car, or can I fill it up tomorrow (the car has 1/4 of fuel remaining)?

EDIT: I called the mechanic today to ask what was actually wrong and it was the ignition coil that went bad. Apparently, it's common in these engines and he has them in stock, that's why the car was fixed fairly quickly.

Last edited:

wilsofar

Reaction score
Won’t matter- the fact that you will now be using 100 Octane fuel from now on gives you confidence that not only are you protecting the engine but it will drive better and slightly quicker!

It will mix without problem.

NF7

Reaction score
Won’t matter- the fact that you will now be using 100 Octane fuel from now on gives you confidence that not only are you protecting the engine but it will drive better and slightly quicker!

It will mix without problem.
Not sure if serious or sarcastic tbh 😅