What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Engine fault - repair needed

Ggen

Reaction score
Hi mate cracking little cars we drive ours down to Anglesey it’s a brilliant drive 6 gear until we hit the two round abouts
Had it three years never had a problem until the same light game on and what stuck in my head you said the fan was on exactly the same as ours even turned off it was whirring like mad
Here’s the aa diagnostic codes it was a simple change of the plugs I got the titanium ones ( or platinum ones not sure but they where £66 quid but worth it touch wood it’s been great since
Here’s the original details
System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES Name: 5FV - MEVD17.4 EURO5
DTC: P1385,Super knock detection
DTC: P2337,Super knock detection cylinder 2
DTC: P1336,Misfiring detected - one or more cylinders DTC: P1340,Misfire cyl. 4
Condition
I could have cried but he changed coil number three for four error went
He advised new plugs which I did next day
The plugs where horrendous not being changed in I think 57k miles it appears they where arking,???
New plugs new coils and no errors ( in the end no new coils the couriers lost them!)

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Hi mate cracking little cars we drive ours down to Anglesey it’s a brilliant drive 6 gear until we hit the two round abouts
Had it three years never had a problem until the same light game on and what stuck in my head you said the fan was on exactly the same as ours even turned off it was whirring like mad
Here’s the aa diagnostic codes it was a simple change of the plugs I got the titanium ones ( or platinum ones not sure but they where £66 quid but worth it touch wood it’s been great since
Here’s the original details
System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES Name: 5FV - MEVD17.4 EURO5
DTC: P1385,Super knock detection
DTC: P2337,Super knock detection cylinder 2
DTC: P1336,Misfiring detected - one or more cylinders DTC: P1340,Misfire cyl. 4
Condition
I could have cried but he changed coil number three for four error went
He advised new plugs which I did next day
The plugs where horrendous not being changed in I think 57k miles it appears they where arking,???
New plugs new coils and no errors ( in the end no new coils the couriers lost them!)
Dude, thank you for the input. Gives me some hope that I can get it sorted fairly quickly and back on the road (then hopefully no further issues for years to come)

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Still a week before I can get the car in to someone that knows what they're doing, but I just used the code reader that arrived and got code P1338 - I'm still fairly confused tbh, but at least I can phone the garage and let them know before I take the car in.

NF7

Reaction score
Still a week before I can get the car in to someone that knows what they're doing, but I just used the code reader that arrived and got code P1338 - I'm still fairly confused tbh, but at least I can phone the garage and let them know before I take the car in.
Is this the only visible code?
This indicates that one coil is not working properly - the one on cylinder 2.

What I would do is switch the middle two ignition coils. They are plug and play. If the error number switches - happy news as you’ll only need to replace the coil (they are about 20£ each). You can replace only one (or all of them and keep the working ones as spares).

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Yeah it's the only one.

Not gonna' lie, I literally haven't a clue about doing anything remotely "engine-y" to a car (had to Google what an ignition coil is 😆)

Appreciate the input though, it's giving me some hope I can get this sorted on the day when I take it in at least.

Kerr

Reaction score
It's one of the simple jobs you can do yourself.

Coil packs are £20 each and it should take about 10 minutes to change all four. A garage will have their mark ups on the parts and will probably charge a minimum of an hour labour.

NF7

Reaction score
Yeah it's the only one.

Not gonna' lie, I literally haven't a clue about doing anything remotely "engine-y" to a car (had to Google what an ignition coil is 😆)

Appreciate the input though, it's giving me some hope I can get this sorted on the day when I take it in at least.
Here:

It should take you no longer than 5min to switch the two middle ones and check if the error jumped.

On the video is the 156HP engine (if you have 200, your coils are diagonally but should make no difference in removing them).

Pedro

Reaction score
P1336-1337-1338 codes can relate to engine knock sensor detecting misfires so if its not a coil pack/plugs issue it has been know to include Cam/Crank sensors these monitor the position of the Crankshaft & Camshafts so that the timing of both is correct for the firing order & also the Lambda sensor monitoring emissions pre cat & post cat are to check the fuel air ratio mix so that the engine is not burning too rich if it is then you will get a EML dash warning if any of these issues occur
Hopefully its the plugs or packs which are the problem

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I had a very similar experience quire a few years ago. I wasn’t able to get it booked into a Pug dealer for weeks as they were all booked up round me, so even though I had a full Peugeot extended warranty, I got a local garage to have a look at it. They diagnosed a coil pack, but changed all 4 & plugs as they said when one goes the others are generally not far behind & they recommended replacing all 4 & plugs.
I don’t have an OBD reader for similar reasons, so I had to rely on the mechanics to sort it out.
The car was fine for a short time afterwards, but then started up with the same issue again, & as I knew it couldn’t be coils or plugs, I booked it into the dealers & they replaced the fuel rail & HPFP under warranty.
Been perfect since 👍

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Update guys, I am very pleased and happy to say that she's running perfectly again (if anything, I actually think she's running more smoothly than before, but that's maybe just the initial excitement of the car working properly again).

Here's what turned out to be the issue, just in case anyone else gets this kind of error and code in the future...

Just a faulty ignition coil, phew! Garage ran a full diagnostic check on the car and found no other areas of concern, so all in all it was a fairly cheap repair. Bloody delighted and relieved to have her back on the road again! I never want to have to get another f**king train in my life haha!

P.S many thanks to everyone for the advice, but particularly to @NF7 who stopped me rushing off to the local garage to spend £500 on getting the fuel injection fixed/replaced (which as it turns out wouldn't have solved the problem anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: NF7

1955drr

Reaction score
Fantastic news you can get on with the joy of RCZ’ing now. I always reckon a new car will have issues but once solved you know you’ve got a good car, with mine it was timing chain after a 150 mile drive home I thought it was a diesel! Dealer paid for the kit and I fitted it, just had the air con re-gassed and now right for summer, always puts a smile on my face and can’t help looking back!

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
Mine has been sitting outside of my parents' house in Fife for 2 weeks now - broke my heart seeing it just sitting there at the side of the road not working, but damn it still looked good! :D

A nice 40 minute cruise back to Edinburgh tonight with the sun shining: lovely stuff.

NF7

Reaction score
Update guys, I am very pleased and happy to say that she's running perfectly again (if anything, I actually think she's running more smoothly than before, but that's maybe just the initial excitement of the car working properly again).

Here's what turned out to be the issue, just in case anyone else gets this kind of error and code in the future...

Just a faulty ignition coil, phew! Garage ran a full diagnostic check on the car and found no other areas of concern, so all in all it was a fairly cheap repair. Bloody delighted and relieved to have her back on the road again! I never want to have to get another f**king train in my life haha!

P.S many thanks to everyone for the advice, but particularly to @NF7 who stopped me rushing off to the local garage to spend £500 on getting the fuel injection fixed/replaced (which as it turns out wouldn't have solved the problem anyway).
Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. I had the same issue - twice! :D

First time I only replaced one and after three months another died.
Then replaced the remaining three.

brickwalls

Reaction score
If it's cylinder 2 coil pack or sparkplug that's the one most inline with the manifold. So raw fuel can be more readily spat down the exhaust effecting the sensors then ECU attempts to compensate - but this can end in a spiral of ECU brain farts & wacko error codes.

Don't skimp replace ALL 4 - NGK are cost effective, reportedly better than OEM, & don't seem to get rinse & repeat errors.

travelswithanrcz

Reaction score
If it's cylinder 2 coil pack or sparkplug that's the one most inline with the manifold. So raw fuel can be more readily spat down the exhaust effecting the sensors then ECU attempts to compensate - but this can end in a spiral of ECU brain farts & wacko error codes.

Don't skimp replace ALL 4 - NGK are cost effective, reportedly better than OEM, & don't seem to get rinse & repeat errors.

It was cylinder 2 yeah - I'm going to replace the others within the next few weeks :)

Robchong

Reaction score
Insert utterly devastated emoji here...

Owned my RCZ for less than a month, and it's been a month of unbridled joy and happiness from a car I instantly fell in love with.

Sadly, just went to drive home to Edinburgh and 5 mins into the journey my dash beeped and I got an "engine fault - repair needed" warning.

Car lost 80% of its power and I juddered back to my parents' house (now waiting for the RAC to come out and have a look).

Fan comes on loud as hell when I start the car, then continues to run for around 4 minutes after I turn it off again.

Only saving grace is that the engine warning is amber, as opposed to red (silver linings I guess).

Gutted doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling. Hopefully this can be sorted quickly and without silly expense.
Coil pack