What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Corroded Mirrors.

A

Anonymous

My RCZ is only 90 days old and has been returned back to the dealer as the body work is marked and stained from the famous water mark from the base of the mirror.

This vehicle was super guarded treated from new.

Both mirrors have now been removed to find the aluminium housing on both sides have corroded causing a oxidised mark.

The Dealer has ordered two new mirrors and having the inside painted for protection. These are been sent back to Peugeot to see what they have to say and if they know if it is likely to become a future problem.

You have been warned check those water marks, if they do not wipe off you to could have the same problem.

A

Anonymous

The water marks are a blessed nuisance but I never considered that it could be more serious than that.

FGRob

Reaction score
race0360 said:
My RCZ is only 90 days old and has been returned back to the dealer as the body work is marked and stained from the famous water mark from the base of the mirror.

This vehicle was super guarded treated from new.

Both mirrors have now been removed to find the aluminium housing on both sides have corroded causing a oxidised mark.

The Dealer has ordered two new mirrors and having the inside painted for protection. These are been sent back to Peugeot to see what they have to say and if they know if it is likely to become a future problem.

You have been warned check those water marks, if they do not wipe off you to could have the same problem.
This problem has been known for over 9 months now, there is a fix which was introduced 2 months ago to the production line and there is a recommended repair as put out by the factory - Peugeot just need to send it out to the dealers.

I suspect your marks were there prior to the Superguard being applied, especially if you don't drain the water after washing.

Here's the link to the old thread - post6473.html?hilit= water#p6473

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that info Rob.

However, my Dealer is not aware of a recommended fix and I have spoken to another Dealer and they know nothing about it either.

Could you enlighten me on what the fix is.

FGRob

Reaction score
race0360 said:
Thanks for that info Rob.

However, my Dealer is not aware of a recommended fix and I have spoken to another Dealer and they know nothing about it either.

Could you enlighten me on what the fix is.
There are a couple of holes which need opening out and then they spray them with either paint or a wax - I'm not sure which, as I've said the fix is fairly new, I was told about it last week when I was at the factory ;)

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Rob I have passed it onto my Dealer.

They were going to paint the insides but also going to contact the technical side of Peugeot as this is a warranty claim.

A

Anonymous

WOW, 90 days old, that is shocking, i have seen a milky sort of coloured water running out of the mirror housing on my new RCZ, i thought it was just the shampoo i was using !
It also has the Gardx treatment but i cannot see any water marks under the paint protection. Surely Peugeot will do a call back to rectify this, especialy as there is a solution to the problem.

Is there any way of telling if your car has had the "fix" ?

My RCZ was ordered around 2 months ago and i picked it up 2 weeks ago. I could be right on the border line of having the "fix" or not. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

The best way to describe it . Like limescale does not wipe off with a cloth.

Even cutting paste struggles to remove it.

Bad news is the mirrors are on back order from the factory. Been told approx 3 weeks to get them.

Told Dealer to put them back on and collecting car back tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

I havent got anything that looks like that on my paint work, thank god.

However the car is still very new and i have seen a discoloured water runing down the doors from the mirrors, so i will be keeping a check on things.

So have Peugeot actualy issued a fix for this ?

I can't stop looking at that pic, it is really worrying to think that something could be corroding away so soon without being able to see it happening . But it's not just the fact the the mirrors will need replacing, but that it's also affecting the paint work . I'm in shock, and only 90 days old....... :!:

A

Anonymous

FGRob says when he was at the factory there was a new fix there but at the moment I do not know if its filtered down to the Dealers.

The two Dealers I have spoken too do not know of one, that is why my Dealer is contacting Peugeot about this warranty claim before they refit the new mirrors.

A

Anonymous

But will Peugeot recall or just wait to see if customers approach them with a problem then do the fix ?

They should recall in my opinion, just to check things out.

A

Anonymous

I personally think the first option you mentioned will be taken.

A

Anonymous

On Second thoughts knowing all car manufactures

Wait till the customers approach them with a problem then do a fix.

Its not a safety issue.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

the same problem persists in germany.

At the first time my dealer told me, that I had to polish it to remove those stains.... so I did it and polished the sh*t out of me for at least 2 hours!

After the next wash these stains returned back to my doors :-(.

On Friday, my Dealer will remove the mirrors on both sides and will attach them again.
I hope that those stains will never come back after the re-attach.

The picture attached was shot one day after the first wash, so you can see what's the problem.

A

Anonymous

Hi Hebi

The mirrors arms will have to be replaced and sealed from the inside to stop it staining.

My Dealer has ordered me a pair but they are on back order from the factory.

The Dealer will take photos of the mirror arms and pass them on to Peugeot to be replaced under warranty.

Do not let your Dealer just wax or oil the inside of the mirror arms as the damage has already been done and it will come back again.

FGRob

Reaction score
As I've said before, push it back to your dealers, let them sort it out with Peugeot.

I have learned to live with it, I just tap the base of the mirror stem when I'm drying the car off and usually that's enough.

Any mod to an existing mirror requires drilling etc, so again this needs to be done by Peugeot.

So just be cool with it, it's no big deal, I've have my car for 10 months now and have come to the point that I am prepared to put up with it as I don't really want my car going back into the dealership. :shock:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Hi Rob,

The water dipping is not a concern to me but when its corroding the mirrors And badly marking the paint thats a big deal to me.

Hopefully it should be fixed in a couple of weeks.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I'm sorry Rob but I would have to disagree with you. This is a big deal. If this can cause corrosion inside the mirror plus cause unremovable marks in the paintwork, then its a problem that Peugeot need to sort out. We pay enough money for the car so no-one expects to have to put up with this sort of problem.

A

Anonymous

I'm back from my dealer.

The service told me, what they have done:

Removed a piece of the seal

The socket is made of aluminum ... through the entered water it caused a oxidation which caused this funny :evil: stains....

They also want me to bring in my car again by Friday 29th to replace the socket with a new one.

Again I have to live 1 day without my car :-(