What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Clutch noise?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
2013 GT200 27k

So, some time ago, I posted that I was getting the occasional noise from somewhere that sounded like the front left.
It seemed to happen as I lifted the clutch pedal, but only when I had been stationary for a while. I had initially thought it might be related to the hill assist, maybe brakes not releasing quickly enough, but it was pointed out that the hill assist system works on the rear brakes, it was also checked over by the main stealers-so that was ruled out.

I have now narrowed it down to..... when stationary for more than a few seconds, if I keep the clutch pedal depressed with the car in gear, when I release the clutch pedal, there is a groaning noise from the front left corner (ish) of the car.
This never happens when changing gear normally, likewise, if I leave it in neutral, and depress the clutch just before setting off, no noise is generated.

I have no problems with gear change, the clutch isn't t slipping, and there are no other issues.

From those of you who have more mechanical knowledge than me, so that's all of you, what could be causing this noise?

I have no doubt if I go to my main stealers, they will want £100 to do a diagnostic, and then tell me I need a new clutch.

I do think it is clutch related, but I am also pretty sure there isn't anything wrong with the actual clutch. :eusa-think:

Any ideas? :helpme:

nicpy

Reaction score
Possible front caliper sticking, if you jack up that corner get someone to press the brake pedal down hard,
release and see if the wheel spins freely or sticks on a little. Another way is after a journey compare by hand (carefully) the heat from the front wheel rims. Other than that it would seem like a clutch release bearing.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I've always had trouble with that knee :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Clutch release bearing sounds like a possibility. Then again, the other day I hosed the car down when I arrived home as I had just washed it & it had a few mud splashes on the doors, the front left did seem rather hot :eusa-think:

jg43210

Reaction score
Exactly the same problem on my 2014 RCZ R. I think it is clutch but it is very, very intermittent. Seems to also correlate with a long journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have managed to find the cause of the noise, although I still don't know what it is :eusa-think:

If I hold the clutch pedal down for any length of time, such as parked at lights, when I release it, that's when the noise occurs.

If I simply change gear, depressing the clutch & releasing it straight away, no noise.

It also seems to do it more when the car has warmed up a little.

As I'm still not having any problem with the clutch, I can only assume it is something to do with the release mechanism rather than the clutch itself. I have yet to take my findings to the dealer, but I'm sure they will manage to explain to me why the fault isn't covered by the extended warranty I've purchased.

JvdBosch

Reaction score
Holding down the clutch for an extended period of time is not advisable. This creates extra tension on the throwout bearing. At stoplights, I always slow down (without shifting down) to about 1000 rpm, and then I shift to neutral and do not depress the clutch any more. When the light turns green, I shift into first. This only takes a fraction of a second.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I have managed to find the cause of the noise, although I still don't know what it is :eusa-think:

If I hold the clutch pedal down for any length of time, such as parked at lights, when I release it, that's when the noise occurs.

If I simply change gear, depressing the clutch & releasing it straight away, no noise.

It also seems to do it more when the car has warmed up a little.

As I'm still not having any problem with the clutch, I can only assume it is something to do with the release mechanism rather than the clutch itself. I have yet to take my findings to the dealer, but I'm sure they will manage to explain to me why the fault isn't covered by the extended warranty I've purchased.

It is the clutch release bearing. I get it too sometimes. Like few times a year and especially when it is hot outside. I can even provoke it. It is nothing to worry about. Just a noise.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Cool, I was a bit worried, I too can make it happen, or avoid it. Sometimes I forget, & just hold the clutch down a few extra seconds & the noise is really quite bad. It does turn heads at lights, & I really would prefer to do that for different reasons.

I will mention it again when it goes in for its next "free" safety check, but if they are talking about doing silly unnecessary things for lots of money, I'll live with it. :eusa-think:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Replacing would be the only option. But that will leave you with few hundreds less in your pocket.

jr4070

Reaction score
Both my GT and R howl when cold on clutch use.. usually its from standing.. Took my GT back to the dealer telling them to look for a slipping aux belt... They could not reproduce it.. Its a noise.. embarrassing on a crowded street...

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I'm going to give it a go when it next goes in, may as well seeing as I bought the extended warranty. If they say it's not covered & nothing serious, I think I will learn to live with it. I have "managed" the noise for quite a while now, so I think I can do so until something actually breaks.

A

Anonymous

I get this issue sometimes. That said my clutch has always been weird. In that in 3rd gear sometimes it will hold itself at 21kmph with no feet touching any pedals. It will drive that way until you touch the clutch then it returns to normal, so revs drop and speed drops.

Also when reversing, same sort of thing, once you get rolling backwards feet off all pedals and the car keeps accelerating even uphills.
The clutch has now started to slip a bit. So time to get it replaced.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Update on the clutch issue.

The car went in for its service yesterday (main dealer as I have a service plan). It also had its second MOT.

While it was there I had to pay for a replacement auxiliary belt £59.61 as they said it was “cracking”, but it flew through the MOT & they said the belt was not an issue for that, just a safety issue.

As for the clutch noise, they spotted it this time & advised it was a flywheel issue, which should be covered under warranty but they had to have the repair approved by the warranty company (Peugeot Platignum extended warranty) and the cost would be £1674.38 :shock:

I had to take the car back this morning for a guy from the warranty company to inspect it. This involved him standing in the car park while I repeatedly set off up a small slope trying to replicate the noise. After @ 20 attempts, finally the groaning howl happened & he agreed with the garage that it needed a new flywheel & they would cover all the costs. :dance:

However.... :eusa-think:

He said if the clutch plate turned out to be “worn” then that would be deemed to be through usage, and as the clutch is classed as a “consumable” part, I would have to pay just for the part £312.39 Apparently I will only find out when they take the thing to bits & the warranty people will inspect the clutch plate & decide then.

They need it for @ 5 days apparently, so it’s booked in later this month & they’re giving me a 208 to use (there was an RCZ R in the car park & I tried for that as a courtesy car but they wouldn’t have it :eusa-whistle: ).

I’ll keep the thread updated as I find out more.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I though, but they said it was cos they needed to strip it all down & see exactly which parts needed replacing, then they would order the parts & leave it in bits until they got everything needed, then put it all back together. They said 5 days was an estimate, but depending on availability of the parts & might even be longer :eek:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I did hear the mechanic saying he was going away.... :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
If it was Formula 1 they’d have it done in 20 minutes :lol: