What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Broken down AGAIN!

A

Anonymous

Was half a mile from my house, just on my way out, the car lost power and started shaking so violently, I hit the kerb approaching a roundabout and scuffed the hell out of both alloys on the driver's side. The "engine fault, repair needed" sign came on too.

Managed to crawl it the half mile back to my house. The fan was still giving it some welly for a good 10 minutes after I had turned the car off and locked it.

What a complete piece of junk. Had hoped I'd overcome the many, many issues I had with the car after I bought it, but it seems not. I was planning a bunch of modifications to the car. Now I'm going to get rid. ASAP.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hear of your cars problems what's even worse it could have been a accident caused by the engine fault. If you can cut your loses and and pass it on to a dealer as a trade in,l personally couldn't keep such a Problematic car

RCZ1

Reaction score
Sadly, I have to agree with Jassy. It does sound like you have a Friday afternoon car, which in this case I would suggest you trade in. It's not worth the risk of a serious accident occurring :(

A

Anonymous

I have 2 years worth of payments left to pay off. Think the only thing I can do is sell it privately, pay off the loan, and buy something as far away from French as possible :)

A

Anonymous

Call the finance company and ask them for a settlement figure then take it from there,and l wouldn't sell privately as their could be repercussions by the new owner knowing the cars history best sell onto WBAC Or trade it in,good luck with whatever you choose to do

A

Anonymous

Some great advice above I think and I can only agree with what has been said. I'm so sorry to hear of all the problems that you've had. I would be getting shot of it too...ASAP.

A

Anonymous

The tow truck guy did a diagnostics check. It's an ignition coil issue.

Gonna see if the garage would buy it back off me, but they probably won't go anywhere near it, knowing the problems I've had with it.

A

Anonymous

I think I'd contact Peugeot independently and outline your litany of problems and ask if they can buy the car back as it's clearly potentially dangerous and a threat to your safety and the safety of other road users!

A

Anonymous

Willfox1983 said:
The tow truck guy did a diagnostics check. It's an ignition coil issue.

Gonna see if the garage would buy it back off me, but they probably won't go anywhere near it, knowing the problems I've had with it.
I had engine coil issues with my last car and all most got killed coming out of a junction when the car lost nearly all power and started shaking violently not nice.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I was very fortunate there were no cars on the roundabout. Cuz it was shaking violently, I hit the corner of the kerb on the entrance to the roundabout and I lost control briefly.

I don't know if it's an option, but I think they should source a car with the same spec and a similar age, and swap the car for me. If they aren't prepared to do anything to help me out, you're all going to see me in the newspapers and on Watchdog before long. It's gone too far. Every time I go out in the car I'm nervous and just waiting for the next thing to go wrong. There is absolutely no enjoyment in the ownership of my rcz. I actually have a hate for it. And I'm not a person who hates something easily!

RCZ1

Reaction score
Write to Peugeot UK outlining all your issues and ideally what you would like to happen. It might also be worth contacting What Car. They have a section in their magazine about serious problems people have with their cars and can help to get them resolved. Which does include a replacement car. You've got nothing to lose have you?

A

Anonymous

Just been down to the garage. Managed to bump into the dealer principle and the car is costing them a fortune and they're sick of it too. They're going to look into replacing the car. Once they've fixed this new problem, that'll be set in motion. The question is, do I get another RCZ? Can't say I have any confidence in them right now. But the guy said they don't have a lot of problems with them, all in all.

A

Anonymous

Willfox1983 said:
Just been down to the garage. Managed to bump into the dealer principle and the car is costing them a fortune and they're sick of it too. They're going to look into replacing the car. Once they've fixed this new problem, that'll be set in motion. The question is, do I get another RCZ? Can't say I have any confidence in them right now. But the guy said they don't have a lot of problems with them, all in all.

Look, as much as it sounds silly to call a 1.6 4 cylinder a high performance engine, truth of the matter is that it is pushed much closer to the limits of what is capable (for now given current technological capabilities - or should i say capable 4 years ago) than lets say the old e46 6cyl 3.0l that made about 160kw. Given this fact, you have to take care of your THP engine a little bit better than the normal run of the mill piece of kit. I dont say you didnt but in the 2 years you didnt own it, lord alone knows what the previous owner did with it.

I am really sorry to hear about your bad experience and hope that IF you give peugeot another chance, you wont be let down again. :beer:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Aside from your problems with the RCZ, do you still like the RCZ in general? If the answer to that question is yes then I would wholeheartedly say yes, get another.

I'm on my second RCZ. The facelifted model seems better put together than my original RCZ. Everything feels much tighter and it's not just because it's new. I can't put my finger on it, it just is.

The problem is once bitten and all that. I'm afraid only you can really make that decision by listening to what your head tells you.

A

Anonymous

There are a couple of black RCZs within 50 miles of me on the Peugeot Used website, similar spec but 6-12 months newer than mine. Whether they'll offer me one of those, I don't know. I just hope they aren't expecting me to fork out a lot for the new one. I can't imagine they'll do a straight swap. Especially if they can't find the same car with exactly the same value.

Having said that, I reckon I've probably paid more off on the finance than the car has lost in value. So that might be in my favour. We'll see.

I'm reluctant to stick with the RCZ, I have to be honest. I was stood there in the rain looking at her last night, while she was being lifted onto the tow truck, thinking what a lovely looking car she is, but so much has gone wrong, I've lost so much trust in it. It feels like I'm in a relationship with Scarlett Johansson but she's banging everyone in Hollywood!

As my girlfriend said last night, sometimes you have to just think, "it's not meant to be."

A

Anonymous

MaX83 said:
Willfox1983 said:

Look, as much as it sounds silly to call a 1.6 4 cylinder a high performance engine, truth of the matter is that it is pushed much closer to the limits of what is capable (for now given current technological capabilities - or should i say capable 4 years ago) than lets say the old e46 6cyl 3.0l that made about 160kw. Given this fact, you have to take care of your THP engine a little bit better than the normal run of the mill piece of kit. I dont say you didnt but in the 2 years you didnt own it, lord alone knows what the previous owner did with it.

I am really sorry to hear about your bad experience and hope that IF you give peugeot another chance, you wont be let down again. :beer:

I think it's pretty certain that the previous owner didn't look after it properly. I've wrapped it in cotton wool since I've owned it. Mainly because I was aware from very early on that it was fragile and was going to have lots of problems if I didn't. Even doing that, it's still had turbo issues, timing chain tensioner issues, exhaust manifold issues, and now, suspected ignition coil issues. Not to mention countless smaller issues, which I think are classed as "cosmetic", because they don't involve things under the bonnet: directional headlight issues, window motor issues, faulty seat base, faulty armrest, horrendous paintwork, alloy wheel corrosion, brake issues....the list goes on. :-(

hanswuk

Reaction score
There are lots of people who have had few if any problems with their RCZ's. When a newly designed car is first released there are often teething problems which gradually get sorted out over a period in production. One can never be 100% certain but I would bet that if you got a different car, especially a slightly later one, you will be less likely to suffer similar problems.

A

Anonymous

hanswuk said:
There are lots of people who have had few if any problems with their RCZ's. When a newly designed car is first released there are often teething problems which gradually get sorted out over a period in production. One can never be 100% certain but I would bet that if you got a different car, especially a slightly later one, you will be less likely to suffer similar problems.

I know. It's just whether or not I risk it. My job requires me to be quite a long way from home at times, and if I have issues with the car while I'm away, not only does that put me in a difficult position, I can also lose a lot of money.