What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Be careful insuring a car with Feline Pack (when under 25)

A

Anonymous

Ok as some know my car that I am getting hopefully this week is one with the feline pack and brake calipers and wing mirrors done and i have found all day pretty much I am either uninsurable or I have to pay 50% of the cars value to have it due to being classified as a modified car for under 25 due to having 3 or more options (thats whether you factory fit or accessories).

I managed to get a quote in the end for £1,700 with £800 excess which is alot better than my other quote of £4,000 with £4,500 excess but most the time they refused because of this. (this is me with 3 years no claims and 2 years driving with a full license + pass plus and with fully comprehensive).

Just thought to give you a heads up and any in the UK in my age group getting an RCZ with options go for an insurance company that is ran by admiral (e.g. admiral, elephant etc) they are more willing to insure you than all the other major ones it took me 5 hours to find it out by calling all the insurers whether big or small

A

Anonymous

Re: Be careful insuring a car with Feline Pack (when under 2

hi tomy90

the feline pack shouldnt make much difference to the insurance as all the modifications are totally cosmetic , they do not add to or increase the performance of the car!

Another member had issues with their insurer trying to jack up premiums but they got them to accept they were cosmetic mods in the end.

regards

Marcus

A

Anonymous

I know i agree with you in fact i argued with 5 of them about this and they said i understand by cosemetic parts class as modifications even if the manufacturer did them they count as such.

but doesnt matter sorted it out now thank god you have no idea how scared I was

but feel like calling up the insurance company who quoted me 4 grand and tell them to put it where the sun doesnt shine

A

Anonymous

When i recently done a change of vehicle with my insurance company (Aviva) i was asked if the car had been modified,i explaind that i picked an optional wheel at point of sale and was told this is Not classed as a modification, because in a sense if a claim was made, the upgraded wheels are standard on the GT as part of an "optional extra", not an "optional modification". Its not like you are lowering the suspension or increasing the bhp.

I think if you cover yourself for say a brand new GT that came with option pack "X Y Z", direct from the dealer, then that is what your are covered for, however if after buying the car you then decide to change, lets say your basic standard wheels to a totaly different set, and then you made a total loss claim the insurance company may only pay out for the standard wheels that would of been on the car from new.

Then again maybe this is where GAP insurance would make an appearance. to make up the short fall from your insurance company. :eusa-think:

Insurance companies will use any tactic to not pay out though, so i guess you need to be very clear when taking cover out.

A

Anonymous

I agree took me 5 attempts with different companies to get one to understand which one did and I think he was a car nut (like me) he commented when I told him the car he said and i quote 'nice choice of car, sir' that line and that they gave the best quote won it.

A

Anonymous

I'm 30 with 1 year NCB and paying less than 1000£

I almost got kicked out of my insurance with the feline pack when I told them i had it fixed, because those bloody call center agent did not want to beleive me when i told them that it was only a cosmetic modification! then they hang up on me!

I had to ring the complaint department to explain everything but they had rang Peugeot anyway to have proof positive that the part did not improve the performance nor modifying the emission of the car...

I'll will change insurance next year (with UK call centre!) anyway because i did not like the way i have been treated for this and i can only imagine how it would be if i have a claim to do or something more serious (touch wood), but this is another topic!

A

Anonymous

wow I thought I had it bad with insurers your insurer sounds 'unpleasant' (putting it mildly) and I do not blame you for leaving them after next year I would as well that is shocking customer service and really disrespectful on the matter (out of interest did they apologise?)

A

Anonymous

the reason for the cost differential is that a Quad fitted car is more desirable to a thief (probably thinks higher performance), therefore risk is higher hence higher cost. If you dont tell your insurers you risk them cancelling the policy on a claim

A

Anonymous

Hmmm... the running costs of my RCZ so far have been great... I think this makes me want to give the quads a miss... even tho they look fantastic (but lets be honest they don't really do anything but enhance the look of your car... and I have my fluffy dice for that!!!).

A

Anonymous

it does not raise it that much but I would say check your insurance 1st before doing it you might be surprised or you might not be.

and I am trying to insure a full feline pack you should not have as much problems with just an exhaust pipe than the full package

A

Anonymous

tomy90 said:
Ok as some know my car that I am getting hopefully this week is one with the feline pack and brake calipers and wing mirrors done and i have found all day pretty much I am either uninsurable or I have to pay 50% of the cars value to have it due to being classified as a modified car for under 25 due to having 3 or more options (thats whether you factory fit or accessories).

I managed to get a quote in the end for £1,700 with £800 excess which is alot better than my other quote of £4,000 with £4,500 excess but most the time they refused because of this. (this is me with 3 years no claims and 2 years driving with a full license + pass plus and with fully comprehensive).

Just thought to give you a heads up and any in the UK in my age group getting an RCZ with options go for an insurance company that is ran by admiral (e.g. admiral, elephant etc) they are more willing to insure you than all the other major ones it took me 5 hours to find it out by calling all the insurers whether big or small

:? :shock:

I had a 245Bhp MGTF insured fully comp.. with a Racing Spec Honda K20A Engine which I lovingly converted myself, value was irreplacable because it was the only one in the country and likelyhood of something going wrong with it was high and I was a few pence over the £1000 mark for that...

At the tender age of 22... :lol:

I'd say you ur looking in the wrong places with quotes like that!

Tried Adrian Flux?? they are great for me.

A

Anonymous

Adrian Flux were the worse by far they were £4000 a year and £4500 excess they did not quite understand my rcz was just cosmetics.

I have gone with elephant.co.uk they offered £1580 and £800 excess.

A

Anonymous

Good lord prices are high in UK! The cheap option was almost £1600????? Wow!

A

Anonymous

I'm 23 and under £1,000 for mine with 6 heavy points..

I'll never understand insurance tbh :lol:

A

Anonymous

Oh my god! I pay £210 fully comp. 200Hp with all the bells and whistles....... :dance:

Granted I am not under 25..... :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

i'm 36 paying 350 fully comp wth 2 year NCB

A

Anonymous

the worse quote i managed was £15,000 for insurance on a FIAT grande punto abarth (which oddly was more than the car was worth lol)

A

Anonymous

I know how you feel- I just changed my insurance from a 1.5 petrol at 50 quid a month to my rcz at 90 quid a month!!! And that's with no points or claims and 2 yrs no claims- can't wait Untill I'm 25!!!!

A

Anonymous

i am the same as you lynsey i have 3 years no claims and nearly 3 years driving with a full license (got my car 1st car when I was learning to drive)

A

Anonymous

I got my 1st car when I was learning to drive aswell but was on my mums insurance so couldn't build up my no claims (can't complain though as she was paying for it) lol