What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

anyone with a dashcam?

stagger321

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
So after researching various review sites, I have ordered a Viofo A118 dashcam, a 32gb class 10 TF Micro SD card and a hardwire kit.
Grand total from three different suppliers in a land far far away £48 :thumbup:

Now all I have to do is break it to the wife :eusa-think:

Once they finally arrive (estimated 1st MARCH latest) :eek: I will bang it in (if it works) and take a few piccies

Thought I would try to connect the hardwire supply to the spare fuse slot at the bottom of the fuse box in the glove box, but need to find out if it's ignition controlled first.

If there are any English instructions with the kit, I might even read them :geek: (that would be a first).

If you hear about a car fire in the Royston area, I probably got it wrong! :wtf:
Re bit I've highlighted.
Thats obviously your positive lead, but you still need a negative.
Abz, has some kind of Heath-Robinson job to the glovebox light for both +ve and -ve, which looks a tad dodgy to me, but it might be useful for the negative connection (with proper connectors deployed.
I'm going to be using a piggy-back fuse connector to the 12v cabin socket fuse with a 10amp fuse in the piggy-back.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Yeah it does look dodgy lol. But its safe and hidden. There are much better ways of doing it though. I just didnt want to tamper with any existing wiring.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Hmmm :eusa-think:

Fire extinguisher at the ready I think.......... :shock:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Hmmm :eusa-think:

Fire extinguisher at the ready I think.......... :shock:

Im willing to stake everything that my car will never catch fire because of my wiring ;)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
When I was a teenager, just after the internal combustion engine was discovered, I had a Mk1 Mini 1000. I installed just about anything I could afford at the time, and my knowledge of car electrics was even worse than it is now. It also had a sticker placed strategically over each rust spot that had developed on the bodywork. There were many stickers.
Finally, just for good measure, I completely covered the interior, head lining, seats etc, with a thick red and black tartan check cloth (I don't remember why really, I think I just dropped on a lot of this fabric cheap somewhere, and the interior was pretty shabby).
I was in a fast food Restaraunt when someone came in and said, that Mini out there is smoking, I actually said, yes I know, it's really cool, it's mine.
They said, no, it's really smoking, there is smoke coming out round the edge of the bonnet.
I ran out & opened the bonnet, and someone from the Restaraunt followed me with an extinguisher, by the time they had liberally spread the contents under the bonnet, it was impossible to see what had happened, so I had to get it towed to a garage.
They examined the car, and said, some idiot had connected various wires, mainly to the wrong connections, and had used Bostik Glue to hold them in place.
WHAT! I said, what a wally, it must have been the guy I bought the car from :oops:

Anyway I have run out of Bostik, so I'm off to buy some evostik for when the camera arrives :wtf:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
BTW, I went on to become a Firefighter for 22 years !!!!! :wave:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
:lol: I was the same to some extent with my first car. I had 6 subwoofers in the back attached to two small amps, and there was smoke. Luckily I saw it in time and turned the engine off.

Im alot more careful with this car for obvious reasons lol. The wires are more than capable with the current involved, and they arent any more exposed than the original glovebox light metal.

TAC

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:

Only 22 years did you burn the station down :lol:

TAC

Reaction score
I have just ordered a BlackVue Wi-Fi DR750 LW-2CH LCD not cheap but I like idea of picture in picture and it is equipped with two cameras can record in full HD resolution

http://youtu.be/a9h6kyu4WoE

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I had been watching a Blackvue DR530GW for some time on EBay, but I couldn't think of any possible way I could justify one of those with my OH, so went for a cheaper option eventually.

Just followed a Z towards Barnsley that had a rear view camera watching me :wave:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
TAC said:
DKZ5745 said:

Only 22 years did you burn the station down :lol:

Had to retire early, the Fire Engine overturned en-route to a 999 call & I damaged 3 vertebrae in my neck (I wasn't driving that night) after that I couldn't meet the fitness standards so was forced to retire early :evil:

But now I've got a Z :D

A

Anonymous

A bit off topic I know but a decent story I think!

Back in the day I remember offering to change a mates radio for him on his brand new to him (second hand) Golf which was a decent car that eventually became the first car I ever bought my wife.

he was the type of lad that if it couldn't be "fixed" with a hammer he was going to struggle while I had the time was building kit cars to order in my spare time at a time when kit cars were dog rough and the panel fit was usually laughable so to my surprise he refused my offer and he would prove he could do it himself etc. etc. etc.

He duly arrive proud as punch with much to my surprise a functional new radio tape deck fitted (ask your dad!) and off we went to the pub only for the radio to die before we got to the pub but hey it was fine on the way back until just before we got to mine.... he spent the next day trying to suss it only to give up and bring it to me

Brilliantly he had wired it into the manifold pre heater circuit in other words it went off as soon as the engine got to operating temp!!

So be warned guys a little knowledge and all that!!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
stingray_dave said:
So be warned guys a little knowledge and all that!!

I should be perfectly safe fitting the camera wiring then, as I have no knowledge whatsoever :eek:

:helpme:

A

Anonymous

If you're considering a dashcam and want something budget, check out TechMoan on YouTube. Great reviews with some really good information. I use the mini 0801 which has recently been replaced multiple times by newer models and is now on the 0806

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The dash cam I have in the front is a B40 A118 Novatek 96650 AR0330 6G 170° Lens H.264 FHD 1080P Mini Car Dash Camera which records in unbelievable quality. The reviews of the night time quality are less than perfect, but I have found that although the night time video is not quite as good as the daytime recordings (which are perfect) they are perfectly acceptable, and would certainly still identify any vehicles required. This unit is slightly bigger than some in-car dvr's but due to the way it fits, it is more or less invisible in the car. There is virtually no lag on the file join, and on playback it's just like watching HD TV. This camera is hard wired into the fuse box, with all wires totally hidden.

The rear dashcam is a 1080P HD Mini Z6 Ambarella A2S30 chip car Camera 140 high definition wide-angle lens Car DVR.
The quality is pretty good from this camera too, but, although the unit is smaller than the A118 it is more visible due to the way it attaches to the screen. This camera is wired into the boot. I wired a 12v accessory socket behind the covered opening in the boot lining, and it is plugged into that. There are no wires showing either in the car or in the boot.

If I was to advise anyone, I would suggest the A118 every time.