What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Another limp mode problem

MXV

Reaction score
Possibly might be electrical problem ruling out the ECU-BSI ?
Any fuel pressure checks done to rule out the pump?
One of your plugs being damaged should cause a misfire on start up & lumpy idle but you have no codes from ignition faults
I’m not sure how to do the fuel pressure checks so no. Can I do them through my obd reader? It has a live data function on it. What should I be looking for?

MXV

Reaction score
Is there any difference in the way it runs if you unplug the VVT lift motor?
It’s the same with it disconnected. Have also plugged it into another motor (out of the engine) and still no difference.

Pedro

Reaction score
I’m not sure how to do the fuel pressure checks so no. Can I do them through my obd reader? It has a live data function on it. What should I be looking for?
I test them by hooking up the scanner & with someone in the car watching the data screen drive it 1/2 Klm then see what pressure is on the graph on acceleration etc
As your car can't run you could test the fuel rail pressure maybe?

MXV

Reaction score
I test them by hooking up the scanner & with someone in the car watching the data screen drive it 1/2 Klm then see what pressure is on the graph on acceleration etc
As your car can't run you could test the fuel rail pressure maybe?
Let me look into that. Thank you again for all your suggestions.

MXV

Reaction score
Thought I would give everyone an update and finalise this thread.
I had the car to a good auto electrician last week. He checked out the electrical side of the VVL lift system and he confirmed there is no faulty wiring. The system is functioning BUT the stepper motor although cycling, will not calibrate between the two end stops. He suggested it was a mechanical fault and not electrical so back home it came.
I bit the bullet and ordered a new eccentric valvetronic shaft as I knew the teeth on the end cog were worn as previously discussed.
spent 4 hours today stripping down and fitting it and retiming the cams back up.
All back together, cycled the ignition a few times to calibrate it and started the car.
bingo. Everything working fine and all fault codes gone. Car driving brilliant.
so it appears that because of the wear to the gear and associated backlash on the motor it simply can’t calibrate itself so completely shuts the ecu down only allowing the car to start but only sit at idle. Amazing.
hope this helps anyone in the future. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_7130.jpeg
    IMG_7130.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7131.jpeg
    IMG_7131.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7134.jpeg
    IMG_7134.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7135.jpeg
    IMG_7135.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7137.jpeg
    IMG_7137.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7148.png
    IMG_7148.png
    90 KB · Views: 11

Pascal

Reaction score
super that you found the problem and were able to fix it yourself . i wouldn't know how to get started
I wish you many safe rides with this beautiful car.

MXV

Reaction score
super that you found the problem and were able to fix it yourself . i wouldn't know how to get started
I wish you many safe rides with this beautiful car.
It honestly took me so long to get to the bottom of this I needed to share the results incase anyone else has the same problem.