What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Another limp mode problem

Pedro

Reaction score
Running on 3 cylinders would cause limp mode as unburnt fuel would enter the exhaust & be picked by on the Upstream Lambda sensor which would alert the ECU the combustion cycle is out of sync ?
You need all four cylinders firing for the ECU to correctly calculate the exact Fuel /Air ratio for combustion if one plug is misfiring or dead then its into limp mode to try & stop serious damage happening as in it disables the Turbo etc

MXV

Reaction score
Running on 3 cylinders would cause limp mode as unburnt fuel would enter the exhaust & be picked by on the Upstream Lambda sensor which would alert the ECU the combustion cycle is out of sync ?
You need all four cylinders firing for the ECU to correctly calculate the exact Fuel /Air ratio for combustion if one plug is misfiring or dead then its into limp mode to try & stop serious damage happening as in it disables the Turbo etc
Thanks for the reply. I really hope you are right. Fingers crossed. I will update.

MXV

Reaction score
New plugs in today and still the same fault code p1030.
starts and ticks over fine but really doesn’t want to Rev up past tickover so is un drivable.
I’m totally lost with this now.

Attachments

• IMG_6882.jpeg
    IMG_6882.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 10

Chillipip

Reaction score
Have you tried to wind the VVT lift screw all the way in either direction? I think it’s a 4mm Allen key on the back.

MXV

Reaction score
I did this. Found it on a mini forum

Attachments

• IMG_6743.png
    IMG_6743.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6744.png
    IMG_6744.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6745.png
    IMG_6745.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 8

MXV

Reaction score
I took a video of the vvt motor cycling the vvt gear and cam back and forth whilst cycling the ignition on and off. All seemed to work fine and always returns to the centre position. Makes me think it is working as it should but I’m no expert. Unfortunately I don’t know how to load videos on this forum.

MXV

Reaction score
I am now starting to think faulty wiring or ecu now. May need as auto electrician.
Isn’t there an ecu reset procedure??

MXV

Reaction score
I am now starting to think faulty wiring or ecu now. May need as auto electrician.
Isn’t there a ecu reset procedure

Pedro

Reaction score
I have not done this on a Z but did do it to a 207cc but that cars ECU was badly repaired & bodged by previous owner so to get the lady up & running I sent it away for reprogramming to get the car back on the road
Follow these instructions
Open the fuse box
Find the ECM fuse on the diagram
Very carefully remove the ECM fuse
Wait for 10-15 minutes
Reinsert the fuse this will clear the memory & return it to default factory settings
This procedure can sometimes clear any fault issues with engine fuel efficiency & emission problems

MXV

Reaction score
I have not done this on a Z but did do it to a 207cc but that cars ECU was badly repaired & bodged by previous owner so to get the lady up & running I sent it away for reprogramming to get the car back on the road
Follow these instructions
Open the fuse box
Find the ECM fuse on the diagram
Very carefully remove the ECM fuse
Wait for 10-15 minutes
Reinsert the fuse this will clear the memory & return it to default factory settings
This procedure can sometimes clear any fault issues with engine fuel efficiency & emission problems
Thank you, this has got to be worth a try. I will need to find out which fuse it is.
Wouldn’t disconnecting the battery do the same thing?

Pedro

Reaction score
I have explained the procedure to you so if you don't understand you should seek qualified help?
If you keep disconnecting the battery you are disabling all the electrical functions on the car so basically your opening a can of worms on these variants

MXV

Reaction score
I have explained the procedure to you so if you don't understand you should seek qualified help?
If you keep disconnecting the battery you are disabling all the electrical functions on the car so basically your opening a can of worms on these variants
Ok thanks for the explanation. I will try it today.

MXV

Reaction score
So I removed fuse 1 for 15 minutes, refitted and started the engine. Everything is still the same unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_6912.png
    IMG_6912.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6911.png
    IMG_6911.png
    116 KB · Views: 4

Pedro

Reaction score
Possibly might be electrical problem ruling out the ECU-BSI ?
Any fuel pressure checks done to rule out the pump?
One of your plugs being damaged should cause a misfire on start up & lumpy idle but you have no codes from ignition faults