What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Alternative Towbar

vialli

Reaction score
I expect the answer to this will be a no but has anyone found an alternative Towbar to the Peugeot offered one?

I've contacted various aftermarket suppliers but all say they have nothing suitable. The price Peugeot quote is ridiculous to say the least & dwarfs the price of a new trailer I'm considering buying for my motorcycle.

If not does anyone know of a dealer offering any deals to make the price a bit more sensible?

Thanks

Derrick

A

Anonymous

Tow bar can not be fitted if you have quads (hopefully you havn't)

vialli

Reaction score
bradshaw said:
To be honest the RCZ is not a towbar sort of car!!

Unfortunately 300kg of motorcycle will not fit in the boot & i'm not buying a specific car e.g. Landrover for the odd occasion I need to transport it.

vialli

Reaction score
jc73uk said:
Tow bar can not be fitted if you have quads (hopefully you havn't)

Yes thanks I've seen a thread regarding the quads when I was searching for any information on towbars. None fitted on mine, I just can't believe there is no alternative to Peugeots offering, hate being ripped off.

A

Anonymous

vialli said:
Yes thanks I've seen a thread regarding the quads when I was searching for any information on towbars. None fitted on mine, I just can't believe there is no alternative to Peugeots offering, hate being ripped off.
Prices drop with increased/higher production volumes. I don't imagine there being too much of a demand for a tow bar on a RCZ :lol:

vialli

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
vialli said:
Prices drop with increased/higher production volumes. I don't imagine there being too much of a demand for a tow bar on a RCZ :lol:
:clap: Well unfortunately I have to use my car as a practical vehicle not as a p*nis extension :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

vialli said:
Well unfortunately I have to use my car as a practical vehicle not as a p*nis extension :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes it is unfortunate that the RCZ is not a penis extender....... However I feel sure that if sufficient number of people required a tow bar then the cost of the R & D and manufacturing/tooling cost would be divided by many more unit sales and make it a more attractive proposition to you. In the mean time I guess you could pay the price and justify it to yourself as being cheaper than running two cars.

A

Anonymous

I actually quite want to see an RCZ towing something! Good for you Vialli for making the car work for you!!

vialli

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
vialli said:
Well unfortunately I have to use my car as a practical vehicle not as a p*nis extension :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes it is unfortunate that the RCZ is not a penis extender....... However I feel sure that if sufficient number of people required a tow bar then the cost of the R & D and manufacturing/tooling cost would be divided by many more unit sales and make it a more attractive proposition to you. In the mean time I guess you could pay the price and justify it to yourself as being cheaper than running two cars.
I already have the expense of running 2 cars (the other one would be even less practicle for towing & the wife uses it) so a third would definately be out of the question. There are a few members on here that have had the factory fitted option I see, but at nearly £800 that is a bit over the top. As the RCZ is derived from a 308, then I'm sure the limited R & D doesn't justify the current cost.

A

Anonymous

I think it probably does.

Take into account you could easily be paying a single automotive engineer £100 upwards for a days work plus running costs for an office etc, then you have to test it to ensure that it's going to be able to do what it needs to do, then you have the manufacturing costs, then there is the £50 upwards that you get charged for an hours labour at a garage, plus VAT and then take into account that it's not a high volume part and you could only be making them in the hundreds rather than a tens of thousands volume and the costs all soon add up.

It's a sad fact of life that because of high volume manufacturing we have all gotten used to paying rock bottom prices for everything from shirts and shoes through to cars. So that when we are presented with something that is a custom part (to a certain degree of course) we think it's got an unreasonable price tag.

A

Anonymous

If people are prepared to pay £600 notes for a fake exhaust serving absolutely no practical purpose - apart from making the Owner look more of a Tool than they already are - then £800 for a Towbar which is completely practical and useful seems the right price.

Peugeot have got their pricing bang on, imo, on this occassion :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Lol I bought said exhaust but paid a fraction of the price buying it off ebay and fitting it myself

Hatman

Reaction score
I had an original Peugeot removeable towbar fitted to my 207 4 x years ago, that was £600.

A

Anonymous

I considered having one fitted to my RCZ - but the price did put me off. I just have to keep futtering my eyelashes at Dad when I need to use his trailer (and his 307 to pull it!). We'll be sorted when the Evoque comes home, we've ordered a towbar for it .... Steve thinks it's for a bike rack .... pah!

A

Anonymous

I always need a (detachable) towbar on my cars for several reasons, have therefore investigated a lot so I can offer some more information.

1: the base price fort the towbar itself is cheap (over here, 460 Euros compared to my current Audi where it costs about 750 Euros. Not even talking about BMWs...).

2: the final price (towbar installed on newly delivered car) at around 1000 Eurobucks seems expensive. But I had a closer look into Peugeots towbar-assembly-manual, and, boy, there's some serious work involved. Roughly estimated at least 2-3 hours of work for someone who's experienced.

From my point of view, the original towbar isn't exactly a steal, but considering the work involved to get it installed third-party companies won't be much cheaper. Unless you do it all yourself...

Your mileage my vary of course...

A

Anonymous

Hi I am new to this forum but I would like to share some information regarding a towbar for the RCZ
As a keen cyclist I required a way of transporting a couple of bikes ,rather than paying the main dealers price I looked into an aftermarket towbar but drew a blank from all the suppliers so as the. Chassis on the RCZ is based on the 308 I bought a Witter PG45AQ towbar which is for the Peugeot 308 ,this is the one with the removable swan neck
And I can confirm that this towbar fits the RCZ without any modification
Fitting time was around 2 hours by myself
The cost for the bar without electrics is £180 from a well known auction site
I hope this may help anyone else looking for a way of transporting a bike or 3