What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Airbags or pre-tensioners

nicpy

Reaction score
:helpme: I have a warning message flash up on ignition `on`, "airbags or seat belt pre-tensioners", it is only up for a couple of seconds and goes.
Have taken out the front seat belt units, all seem in order, no rattling which I understand might indicate a pre-tensioner has fired. Any one help on this.

nicpy

Reaction score
:helpme: I have a warning message flash up on ignition `on`, "airbags or seat belt pre-tensioners", it is only up for a couple of seconds and goes.
Have taken out the front seat belt units, all seem in order, no rattling which I understand might indicate a pre-tensioner has fired. Any one help on this.

Should have pointed out, there is no airbag warning light.

A

Anonymous

That's standard - Should come up everytime you put the ignition on it checks the airbags and tensioners are working and then goes off, nothing to worry about.

drdino

Reaction score
Erm, no, it's not normal to have such a message, what's normal is for the airbag light to prove out at key on.

nicpy

Reaction score
Ok I am a little confused now, which doesn`t take much! The airbag light on the overhead display does indeed `prove out`with ignition on, but still get that fault message briefly `airbags or seat belt tensioner fault`, which is also recorded in the log.

drdino

Reaction score
Ideally you need to have the codes read using the dealer's Diagbox.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Any "fault" message which is recorded in the log is not normal. Something is causing the car to detect a fault, albeit briefly. A diagnostic check should reveal the cause, but of course Pug dealers charge for this service, and then offset the cost from any work found necessary.
Speak to the service manager of your chosen dealership & ask if he has any ideas regarding this issue.
Indie car electrical workshops should also be capeable of detecting the issue, and may possibly prove cheaper, providing they are reliable and don't suggest replacing several components one by one in the hope of randomly finding the actual cause. (This has happened to me with previous cars). If this does happen, it often proves more expensive than a trip to the main dealers, who might be more likely to discover the true cause from the start.

The other course of action would be to simply ignore it. If there was an actual fault with a component, the fault message wouldn't simply disappear after a few seconds. But if it was my car, I would want to rectify the cause of even a temporary fault message, especially when it involved a very important safety feature of the car.

nicpy

Reaction score
Quote:
"The other course of action would be to simply ignore it. If there was an actual fault with a component, the fault message wouldn't simply disappear after a few seconds. But if it was my car, I would want to rectify the cause of even a temporary fault message, especially when it involved a very important safety feature of the car."

Yes my thoughts exactly, that I want to get to the bottom of the reason why this fault should show,I have now found that the switch that turns off the passenger airbag is faulty, ie it turns anti clockwise to `off` but doesn`t stay there, it springs back to `on`. Excuse the pun , but maybe a connection there (groan!)

A

Anonymous

Have you checked all connectors under the driver and passengers seat, sometimes the pins get bent when moving the seats back and forth?

nicpy

Reaction score
Yes I have, only yesterday I took the seats out and checked the yellow connector plugs, all seemed in order there :)

A

Anonymous

I have just re-read your original message.

If you push the button next to the mileage odometer re-set button on the dashboard by the dials (diagnostic) does this then show the airbag and pretensioner fault ? Do this after the car has started and the error has disappeared

If it re-appears then there is a problem which needs further diagnostics - could possibly be the passenger airbag switch as you suggested

nicpy

Reaction score
Thank you again for that suggestion, unfortunately I won`t be able to check this till after the weekend. Having gone into York today we called at a place to get a spare key cut and chipped, in the process of this something went pear shaped and neither key will now start the car. After five hours waiting and them waiting for a response from an email back from Peugeot we had had enough. :? They doubt that they will get a reply till Monday, so for as long as I can remember we are `wheel less`, still worse things happen at sea!

nicpy

Reaction score
I have changed and tested the airbag de-activation switch but am still getting the airbag/pre tensioner warning on occassion, pressing the check button to the side of the speedo also brings up the warning. What I am now looking at is the seat belt warning light cluster (overhead) the front passenger seat led does not light up with me sat on the seat, seems to be working in the reverse of how it should. Checked all the seat belt connections, the seat switch is ok, wiggled all the wiring. Is there a seat belt control box (ecu) I have had a look round on service box but to my inexperienced eyes I can`t see any thing. My feeling at the moment is that the two conditions maybe are connected?

A

Anonymous

This reminds me of whrn BMW, MG & Rovers all used the same under seat connectors - these were effected by outgassing from the plastics in the seats, causing high resistance. The symptoms were intermittent warnings while driving and/or on startup which could disappear as current broke down the HR. Cleaning the connector should be a short term fix, but cutting in a better connector was was the cure.

nicpy

Reaction score
Another problem nailed!! This one turned out to be a faulty connection at the pedestrian impact ribbon behind the front bumper. Fault sign on ignition on gone. :clap: :clap:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Excellent news. So glad you got it sorted eventually. Also, good info in case it crops up on other Z's in the future. :clap:

nicpy

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Excellent news. So glad you got it sorted eventually. Also, good info in case it crops up on other Z's in the future. :clap:

I always think that it is so important to let the people on the forum know if a problem has been rectified and how.

Not only share the knowledge with a question but share the answer too.