What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Advice needed on buying the diesel version

A

Anonymous

Got my car for the past 4 days and loving it. Managed to get around 50mpg with normal driving so overall happy But the only down side is the bumpy ride, I'm not used to the cars with lower sitting position. Even when going on a motorway (M40) I can feel the thumps all along the route and its not comfortable to my neck. Is there a way to improve the bumpy ride by changing the suspension a bit? Have anyone tried this before? Sorry if I'm taking just gibberish as I'm not a Car Techie person. Any advice on improving the ride is appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Only thing that springs to mind are different tyres will make a small difference. Cost may well make the gain unviable though

hanswuk

Reaction score
Give it time and you will get used to it! Coming from a relatively soft riding car I also had a period of thinking 'what have I done?' but you adapt and eventually rarely notice the ride as a negative except when going over really bad surfaces. Concentrate on the many good aspects of the car. :)

Abzynthe

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
Only thing that springs to mind are different tyres will make a small difference. Cost may well make the gain unviable though

My thought was smaller wheels with a bigger side wall tyre.

Ive gone the other way, so the ride in mine is very bumpy. But as Hans said, you get used to it :)

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the replies. Okay, I'll give it a few weeks time to get adjusted. Apart from that its an awesome car :)

frankvdb

Reaction score
Judging from the picture you posted your car has 19" wheels.
Indeed most of the comfort will come from the height of the tyre wall.
But the only other option is 18" and that is not so much of a difference.
The other thing to check is your tyre pressure; it may be much too high which also results both in a hard ride and in uneven tyre wear (center only). I think the correct pressure can be found in the inside of the door.
I know this because when I got my car it had front tyres worn that way. The car had been used as demo car and may have been run with tyre pressure of up to 3 bar whereas it should be just over 2.

A

Anonymous

I do not know about the petrol variations, but the correct diesel tyre pressure is rear 2.0 bar (29 psi) and front 2.4 bar (35 psi) That is 19" . 18" may be different.

A

Anonymous

not sure what difference changing down to 18 inch wheels would make to the ride but having driven the Z with both sizes of wheels it does make a difference on the handling believe it or not, the 19 inch wheels make the road handling a lot better. I didn't believe it myself until i tried it :eek:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Interesting Lee.

Having recently gone from 18s to 19s I find that I can't take my Z through a corner at the same speed I would have done with the 18s. You certainly have to turn the steering wheel more with the 19s when going round fast bends. Maybe I'm just not used to them properly yet but I don't have quite the same confidence in them as I had with the 18s.

Edit: in respect to the ride with both size of tyres, there is no discernible difference in my experience.

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

A

Anonymous

I just faced changing my tyres and as roads around here are poorly maintained toyed with the idea of going to 18" from my 19". The tyre price was also nearly A$170 cheaper with the smaller wheel. However, the OEM wheels are much too dear and the selection of after market with proper offset wheels (without spacers) is near nil so this was a quandary.

My tyre shop came up with what was the obvious answer - step us to a 245/40 19 instead of the 235/40 19. The actual circumference difference is only about 1% greater but the sidewall grows a bit more, and slightly larger contact area. And, best of all, the tyre cost drops dramatically - actually to the same savings as the 18"! Why 235's are so much more I don't understand...

Anyway, happy to report that the ride has improved significantly. Partly due to the tyres (now Michelin Pilot Sport 3 instead of Conti) and the rest if not most due to the tyre size. Over the same road surfaces quieter and the jarring has gone but not to such a large extent to affect grip. Not the way I drive anyway.

So while changing tyre size may seem strange - even blasphemous - in this case I believe the results were well worth it.

Oh, and one of the old tyres sans rim is now sitting in the wheel well (fits nicely). Not as practical as with a rim but not as heavy and if I get caught somewhere at least I can reduce my costs to a tow and tyre swap until I get sort out a new tyre.