What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Your RCZ on a racetrack?

A

Anonymous

So how many of you peeps have been on a racetrack with the RCZ? We have a track-day in 2 weeks at the old F1 Circuit Kyalami with some of the VW guys. Will make some videos and post (only if the RCZ do not suck else jassy will have a field day with it - but im pretty sure its going to own in a pretty spectacular fashion).

Im interested to know how you guys experienced the handling right on the limit. I know its a little understeery in the slower tight stuff but have seen the back end gets light at higher speeds.

By the by - anyone ever experimented whether the wing in full top position actually provides downforce?

A

Anonymous

I've not taken mine on a track.

Not that I wouldn't love to, but the tyres....the poor tyres...

A

Anonymous

JWT said:

So what I do, overinflated the tyres (fronts running 2.8's rears running 2.6). This reduces traction but saves the sidewalls of the tires. Obviously you still have to respect the tires else you will destroy them. I managed to destroy a set on my Astra VXR a few years ago. Went out on track driving half decent, not staying out for more than 4 flying laps at a time.... and then my buddy went out just infront of me in his VXR... 2 flat out sessions of 10laps each later and the fronts were ready for the bin :police:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
MaX83 said:
JWT said:

So what I do, overinflated the tyres (fronts running 2.8's rears running 2.6).

You want to be careful not to drive too hard though, or the tyres will either ware in the middle or burst due to the heat expanding the air in the tyres.

A

Anonymous

Abzynthe said:
MaX83 said:
JWT said:

So what I do, overinflated the tyres (fronts running 2.8's rears running 2.6).

You want to be careful not to drive too hard though, or the tyres will either ware in the middle or burst due to the heat expanding the air in the tyres.

Yeah, i am well aware of the heat expanding the tires. 2.8 Bar is the pressure when warm and not cold. They then go up to about 3.2bar on the track.

Wear in the middle is negligible on the track if you keep the TCS on.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Fair enough :) Im not expert, I was just thinking that over inflating tyres on the road ware in the middle, so it must make it worse on track?

A

Anonymous

Abzynthe said:
Fair enough :) Im not expert, I was just thinking that over inflating tyres on the road ware in the middle, so it must make it worse on track?

It does wear on the road but a day on the track is only about 100 to 150km for the day to its relatively small. When you leave the tyes at the recommend 2.2 odd bar, the sidewall flexes and the car basically rides\slides on the sidewall and you can imagine the entire weight of the car + acceleration forces on the edge of the tyre. Have a look here what happens to a tire when cornering hard.

Notice the black line on the cement made by the outer rim of the tire. That line is rubber left behind...

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Thats probably best for me to overinflate if I took mine on a track. I dont have much of a sidewall :lol:

A

Anonymous

MaX83 said:

By the by - anyone ever experimented whether the wing in full top position actually provides downforce?
There's a posting somewhere on the forum about a member who said they could feel the rear of the car hunker down when the rear spoiler goes to stage 2. I've tried this myself with the button at motorway speeds and there is a perceptible change at the rear. So I'd expect it really is adding downforce but how much is a different question.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Abzynthe

Reaction score
It will produce downforce as you have obstructed the air flow to make it push against the spoiler. But I think downforce at the front would be more useful due to the front wheel drive :)

A

Anonymous

I think I will just leave it in the up position for the day. Maybe try a stint with it Up and one with it on Auto. Technically, you should be able to see a chance in instant consumption when switching from down to up at lets say 150+ kph.

@ Abzynthe, if you add more downforce to the front of the RCZ and not the back it will oversteer like crazy. Remember the engine is already producing a downward force on the front axle. So if you increase that force and do nothing at the back, it will turn in really sharp but it will have a very loose tail... something you dont want when going 160kph through a bend. Then some understeer is more than welcome and easier to control.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
MaX83 said:
I think I will just leave it in the up position for the day. Maybe try a stint with it Up and one with it on Auto. Technically, you should be able to see a chance in instant consumption when switching from down to up at lets say 150+ kph.

@ Abzynthe, if you add more downforce to the front of the RCZ and not the back it will oversteer like crazy. Remember the engine is already producing a downward force on the front axle. So if you increase that force and do nothing at the back, it will turn in really sharp but it will have a very loose tail... something you dont want when going 160kph through a bend. Then some understeer is more than welcome and easier to control.

Thanks for the info :)

I need to remember that track is ALOT different to normal road use :lol:

frankvdb

Reaction score
MaX83 said:
So how many of you peeps have been on a racetrack with the RCZ? We have a track-day in 2 weeks at the old F1 Circuit Kyalami with some of the VW guys. Will make some videos and post (only if the RCZ do not suck else jassy will have a field day with it - but im pretty sure its going to own in a pretty spectacular fashion).

Im interested to know how you guys experienced the handling right on the limit. I know its a little understeery in the slower tight stuff but have seen the back end gets light at higher speeds.

I know our Belgian friends have taken it on the Zolder and Spa circuits.

http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/se...posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/se...posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

A

Anonymous

Have great day at the Track Max,something i would never do with my own car no matter what car i owned,The ST is pants round a track if its any consolation...... :lol: if i wanted something like that... :eusa-think: RS Focus... :cool: or Megan 265 crud looking/crap build quality other than that, good round a track, is its only claim to fame.

Just read that Honda broke the Meganes track record at that silly german nurburingy thing....... :lol: With up coming new Type R.. :cool: :cool: :cool: that a lot of enthusiasts and car makers put so much emphasise on :crazy: Then Renault SHIPPED A MEGANE over to Japan to better Hondas lap record of some unpronoucable Japanese race circuit... :wtf:

Enjoy :thumbup: