What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

wifi

A

Anonymous

Im thinking about having wifi installed when my car arrives... i got a 250€ coupon, and im doubting between the wifi, front skirts, and carbon mirrors..

Anyone here that has the wifi too??

and how does it work??? Is it that if you are within reach of a open wifi network it connects to it and you can browse on your Sat Nav screen or is it that you can connect a device to the car and that you can get on the interwebs ???

would it even be possible to connect to an internet radio and have it play on the audio system???

never had /heard / talked about it .... but why it makes me curious at what you can do with it is this pic

and would you have to pay for the connection and the data volume????

it says=> Device has connection : http://www.autofans.be

Made me think, why would it show it has a connection to a specific site???

Thanks if someone would tell me the story about the possibilities

A

Anonymous

I have the WiFiunit. It is basically a MiFi portable base station that is mounted in the boot into which a USB data dongle is plugged. This then gives you a loacal WiFi network inside the car that is running from the 3G network.

Beacuse the USB dongle is the antenna and due to the location teh signal strength is crap so unless you are in a really strong signal area it just drops out. The 3G coverage is also not very good. There is no interaction between this and the other systems in the car. It is just a simple WiFi hotspot generator.

It is a complete waste of time...... I got it because it cost me nothing along with some of the other options I got for free like the towbar.

My iPhone does exactly the same thing by generating a local hotspot that other WiFi users can connect to.

A

Anonymous

I dont have but i know a good friend that does have it in a BMW, and he has said the same as mr shiney, it is a total waste of money.
Get yourself something more useful, those skirts look great, i have them on my Opal white, not that keen on the carbon mirrors, but either way anything is better than the wi-fi option. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

if you really want the wifi, then, assuming you are in the UK, just go to 3 and get one of their mifi dongles. it gives you a 3G/HSPDA connection and allows you to connect up to 5 wifi devices. it's loads cheaper than the peugeot option

A

Anonymous

i didn't even know that wifi is possible for the nav...

A

Anonymous

Its not possible for the Nav. It does not interact with any of the car systems. The screenshot is a mock up to promote the website writing the article.......

A

Anonymous

ah ok.... yeah.. then itll probably be the skirts :)... but i havent really seen a real good pic of one fitted...

the carbon side mirrors was the last of the options i was considering.... already have a carbon roof...

maybe ill get one in the future if i see something thats cheap enough.. because the option to play a internet radio is really tempting... i can connect my ipod touch to the wifi and to the audio system.. and play it like that...

thanks for the advice :)

A

Anonymous

Internet radio is useless in a moving vehicle. The signal is just not constant enough.

I have the skirts fitted. They look very nice but they do keep hitting the speed bumps!

A

Anonymous

I frequently use Internet radio in the RCZ - albeit streamed from the iPhone via blutooth.

If you have a decent phone the wifi is kinda pointless

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info,,,, i dont have a iphone as i broke a pretty expensice one at work when it was in my pocket,,, and i dont want to risk ik again,,, it was already 5+ years ago,

mr shiney said:
Internet radio is useless in a moving vehicle. The signal is just not constant enough.

I have the skirts fitted. They look very nice but they do keep hitting the speed bumps!

do you need to slow down ALOT for the bumps,,, or is it ok,,, are they easily removable?

A

Anonymous

Skirts are not removable. I have yet to find a speed slow enough to get over the bumps around here without grounding them!!

A

Anonymous

maybe ill get one in the future if i see something thats cheap enough.. because the option to play a internet radio is really tempting... i can connect my ipod touch to the wifi and to the audio system.. and play it like that...

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:

I also have the skirts fitted on my 156 GT and have NOT had this problem, maybe the speed bumps are higher in different parts of the country ?

Or is the 200 and the 156 different heights to start with, even a couple of mm may make all the difference ?

A

Anonymous

i have the front skirts,, and in the 200.. and never had a problem with it... but.... there are not many english style speed bumps here...

A

Anonymous

Kosakowski said:

That quote is not from me.......

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
mr shiney said:

I also have the skirts fitted on my 156 GT and have NOT had this problem, maybe the speed bumps are higher in different parts of the country ?

Or is the 200 and the 156 different heights to start with, even a couple of mm may make all the difference ?

Very likely that there are differences. We have huge traffic calming things that are a nightmare to cross. They look like hills even in my RageRover!