What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Water Vapour/Steaming Exhaust

A

Anonymous

At this time of year does everyone else's RCZ create its own weather system when stopped at lights or junctions ? Looked in the mirror the other day and couldn't see anything behind me apart from a small Cumulus cloud I'd generated :D

A

Anonymous

I hope it's just condensation, and not the sign of a blown head gasket.. :cry:

A

Anonymous

Petrol engine? Mine did that, think I saw a post a couple of years ago saying it was common. Don't know about the diesel engines though

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, yes my 156 petrol does it. I believe it's common to have to top up coolant more regularly than some other vehicles too so this could be one of the causes? :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

I see where you're coming from but I don't think it has any bearing, my 200 didn't use any coolant (although I know some cars do) and I still got the vapour cloud.

tianorth

Reaction score
The vapour is from condensation in the exhaust.
As the exhaust heats up the condensation will start to turn to steam and will then be blown through the exhaust by the exhaust gases, emanating at the exhaust tips as vapour.

The condensation is created as the exhaust cools it pulls in the cooler air which is ladened with water vapour (more noticeable at this time of year), this then settles in the exhaust system ready to be heated and blown out when the engine is started.

tianorth

Reaction score
The only way for coolant to be let into the exhaust system is if the head gasket is leaking.
The probable cause of coolant loss will be down to the expansion tank (the bit you look at to see if it needs any adding).
Basically on a cold engine the level is fine, once the engine is started only part of the coolant is being circulated as just the coolant in the block and maybe the heater matrix is keeping the block cool.
As the temp rises in the coolant it is in contact with the thermostat, once it reaches a certain temp it will activate the thermostat and allow the coolant to flow round the full system bringing the cold coolant from the radiator and pipes to flow around the engine block which would then also drain coolant from the expansion tank as well.
As the coolant heats up it expands and it expands into the expansion tank. If it heats up too much it will fill the expansion tank and if it needs to put more into the already full tank it will force out the excess out.
You might not see it as the engine bay will be hot and will vaporise the excess and may leave no trace.
Another reason for the expansion tank to fill to "over - flowing" is the speed of the engine.
The faster the engine turns the water pump the faster the coolant flows, if it expands into the tank and then over flows and then you slow or stop the coolant will retreat back into the cooling system and when you look the coolant level will look fine until it cools and contracts.
Might take some time for it to show a loss depending on the amount it of excess it has to get rid off.

RCZash

Reaction score
For every gallon of petrol burnt, approx. one gallon of water is produced. On many cars when cold this can be seen dribbling out of the exhaust, when hot it vaporises.