What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Was it the car or me ?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

This is a bit of a puzzler. I have owned my RCZ for about 3 weeks now. Today like any onther day I set off on my drive to work. I live in a semi rural area so a few windy roads to get to the main road. Whilst sat at the junction waiting for a gap to join he main road the car was stationary and ticking over. All of a sudden the car seemed to drop revs and start to judder I applied some revs for a second and back to normal it went. I drove to work perfect and home perfect with a quick lunchtime blast along the dual carriageway and all is fine with no issues or warning lights on the car. I've even tried to mimic maybe I had lifted the clutch a bit without knowing and without revs the car was juddering but can't replicate what happened. Any ideas would be appreciated ....... Mmmmmmmmm super puzzled mmmmmmmmmm :helpme:

DRTDVL

Reaction score
Can't say I've had that happen but I've pushed the car very very hard along a well known drivers road with no issues.

The only thing I get is when in first and using light throttle the boost seams to be lacking and it feels weird.

A

Anonymous

I'm just wondering if I should switch to the higher octane fuel for my 156 thp as its ready for a fill up tomorrow and when I got the car I just put the standard stuff in .

DRTDVL

Reaction score
there is a thread on the fuel stuff already... basically run as high as you can.

A

Anonymous

Cheers. I had just spotted it and read through the comments. I will be changing to a higher Ron fuel today . Hopefully the incident yesterday was down to me doing something like lifting off the clutch a bit without realising.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a bit of rough fuel or fuel starvation to me ?
Fill up and if it doesn't do it again - forget about it.
I never run on near empty as I always fear that you might suck up something bad.
It is possible to get rubbish in fuel especially from cheaper outlets like Supermarkets.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I think probably the car I have noticed the same thing whilst sat on my drive at Tickover a bit of throttle and it clears never noticed it out on the road though.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I seriously don't know the first thing about mechanics, but, I had similar issues with a previous car when the fan kicked in , just saying :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys. Here's an update on this old thread. The car had shown the same symptoms twice more both very shortly after a cold start up either after being left overnight or all day at work. Both times at the same point the engine was just starting to warm up and the temp needle just starting to lift. Only whilst ticking over either waiting in traffic or waiting to pull out of a junction. Both times if revs applied the chugging cleared. However last week after the car had been stood overnight and had a bit of frost on it i fired it up and left it to defrost the windows. When I came back to it it was running like a bag of spuds with the fans full on and the engine light on with a engine fault warning. The AA came out and the guy said straight away its a temp sensor only to find once plugged in to his machine it was showing a misfire from cylinder 4. Coil was fine but the spark plug gap was tiny and the plug full of carbon/soot. Had a set of plugs put in and all appeared well until 2 days later the car again at exactly the point of warming up and ticking over began chugging again. A quick Rev and it went again. I've now got the car in for a new temp sensor to be fitted with the hope the bad spark plug was just the secondary problem to this initial cause and the chugging over time has caused the carbon on the spark pug. Having said that I've had no other issues with temperature and the needle always climbs to the middle and stays there . I'm convinced there is a link to the chugging while getting up to temp and once the cars warm all is fine. I have also noticed the revs drop while idling when this chugging occurs almost as of it taking the choke off before it should.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the update - lets hope after they have fitted the sensor things improve.

A

Anonymous

I've recently had exactly the same problem. First Peugeot dealer said it needed a software update. I wasn't convinced. A few days later same issue with juddering and engine warning light came on. Took it to another dealer and they diagnosed the high pressure fuel pump!! It's going in next Monday for the change.

A

Anonymous

Re:high pressure fuel pump.

Your bang on Allanh114. The car failed the following day after I decided to start it up and just leave it to tickover and warm up. After around 12 mins of the engine running it started to chug and miss and the engine light came on. Off it went to Peugeot via the brilliant AA who recovered it there. Sure enough the diagnosis was the high pressure fuel pump also. Just got it back today so hoping that's the last of this issue. I must say the non franchised garage I purchased the car from has coverd all costs of spark plugs, temperature sensor and high pressure pump even allowing my local Peueot dealer to complete the last two. SUPERB .......

A

Anonymous

So an update on the advice I gave above. Had my high pressure fuel pump changed earlier this week. Car had no issues until an hour ago. Went out on a short run from cold. About 30 seconds into journey, engine light came on and car went into emergency mode or something and was probably pulling away in 3rd (it's an Auto). When I stopped a few minutes later, turned engine off, the engine fan was running still, yet temp was about a 3rd of the way to normal. Had a couple of more short journeys and each time the fan was running after switch off. Still has the issue of smoking a lot (condensation? as not oil smell) which it did before the fuel pump change. I suspect a temp sensor issue?... Any ideas welcome....... Looks like it's going back to the dealer again!!!! :( :helpme:

A

Anonymous

Hi Allanh. I feel for ya buddy. The fans will cut in not just for temperature reasons but also if the car thinks there's a fault that requires it to disperse fumes. The smoking as you put it was a similar symptom of mine when it had a misfire on cylinder 4. It was just a higher amount of condensation. I had a faulty spark plug that had a compressed end so the gap was way too small allowing unburnt fuel to coke up the plug. I had them all changed prior to the high pressure pump and also had the temp sensor replaced as previously mentioned. I'm sure by now you've found the cause of the problem and are motoring away a cautious but happy bunny. It's a sure trial of patience with my RCZ for sure but touch wood so far so good on it being ok. I love the car otherwise it would have been rejected by me back to the supplying garage no matter how helpful they have been. It's actually the best worst car ive ever had. :wtf:

A

Anonymous

Just bumping this back up with a horrible update. Car is back in the garage again, (4th Time now). Misfire on cylinder 4. Now told the car needs a decoke at £2500!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :evil: :evil:
I have a platinum extended warranty from Peugeot which they wont agree to cover!!! Car has only 25000 miles on it!!!

I have contacted Peugeot UK and waiting for a response!!! This can't be right!!! Any advice gladly received!!!

A

Anonymous

To be honest, I think that you'd be best placed seeking legal advice and closely studying the terms of the cover policy. However, a carbon build up isn't uncommon with these engines and there are others who have reported some similar issues. Perhaps you can trawl through some threads and gather some evidence that this isn't an isolated incident and therefore something that Peugeot need to address and compensate YOU for.

A

Anonymous

So car is still in the garage. Peugeot UK called today and offered to pay 50% of the decoke. But even paying £1250 myself is still crazy! Timing hasn't been checked yet and I am now paying the diagnostic costs for this. If they find something wrong, great as extended warranty will cover costs. If they find nothing, more costs for me :crazy: and no further forward!

A

Anonymous

Allanh114 said:
So car is still in the garage. Peugeot UK called today and offered to pay 50% of the decoke. But even paying £1250 myself is still crazy! Timing hasn't been checked yet and I am now paying the diagnostic costs for this. If they find something wrong, great as extended warranty will cover costs. If they find nothing, more costs for me :crazy: and no further forward!

I think it'd be well worth getting an independent mechanic to give this a once over!!