What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

VVT solenoid input voltage

shoshin

Reaction score
Hi. The connector to my VVT solenoid reads just 3.17 volts with ignition on. This is far too low to activate it, but I'm wondering if this is normal at ignition and higher voltage is only supplied when it is required. Could anyone confirm please? Reason I'm asking is that having removed the old part it passes all the electrical tests just as well as its replacement, even though I was convinced that I had finally narrowed down my problem (the old P0016) to the VVT. Many thanks Martin.

lfe

Reaction score
Several solenoids in the THP motor are not controlled with an on-off 0-12V signal but progressively with PWM (power width modulation).
The ECU controls the solenoid valve depending on the revolutions, sensors etc.

The VVT and the turbo control solenoid valves work like this and I think the high pressure pump does too.

If you measure those 3V it seems normal.

RCZ Downunder

Reaction score
Hi. The connector to my VVT solenoid reads just 3.17 volts with ignition on. This is far too low to activate it, but I'm wondering if this is normal at ignition and higher voltage is only supplied when it is required. Could anyone confirm please? Reason I'm asking is that having removed the old part it passes all the electrical tests just as well as its replacement, even though I was convinced that I had finally narrowed down my problem (the old P0016) to the VVT. Many thanks Martin.
Hi Mate. Just curious if you resolved the issue with the variable valve solenoids? ive currently got a P0012 Bank 1+2 code apearing even thought the individual solenoids test up ok. Im thinking the wiring may be the next place to investigate.

shoshin

Reaction score
Hi, afraid not I'm still getting a P0016 in very specific circumstances: only when the engine is cold and only when the revs drop to within the 500rpm-1000 rpm range. I can avoid that by driving for a few minutes as if the car has no tick over, blipping the accelerator every time I come to a halt. My guess was wiring to the vvt too, hence my query about the low voltage reading I was getting. Good luck with yours :)

lfe

Reaction score
How long has it been since you changed the oil ?, dirty oil can cause these problems.

Change it more often than the manufacturer says.

The VVT is actuated by oil pressure.

shoshin

Reaction score
A few months ago; it was the first thing I tried. It's possible that the garage used 5w-30 instead of the newer recommendation of 0w-30 though, so it won't hurt to try that. I've also changed plugs, coil packs, cam and camshaft sensors, and now the VVT. A genuine timing issue is unlikely because the chain is relatively new. Plus the car never goes into limp mode, runs completely normally whether the eml is on or off, and never throws the error once the oil is up to pressure. It never happens when the car is idling, only when the revs are falling from 1000rpm towards 500 within the first 5 minutes or so of starting it. Thanks for responding again btw, all help welcome :)

Marmite

Reaction score
Have you tried replacing the vvt solenoid in bank 1 or 2 as I had this problem on bank 2 , they have a tendency to move about inside the metal casing causing it to fail intermittently ! Try holding the plastic core that your plug attaches to an see if there is any movement in any direction it shouldn’t move at all if ok .
I fixed mine with some power bond glue because I’m tight! but there not a lot of money new .
Bank A is a bit of FAF it’s just above the cam chain hydronic tensioner if I remember rightly

shoshin

Reaction score
Have you tried replacing the vvt solenoid in bank 1 or 2 as I had this problem on bank 2 , they have a tendency to move about inside the metal casing causing it to fail intermittently ! Try holding the plastic core that your plug attaches to an see if there is any movement in any direction it shouldn’t move at all if ok .
I fixed mine with some power bond glue because I’m tight! but there not a lot of money new .
Bank A is a bit of FAF it’s just above the cam chain hydronic tensioner if I remember rightly
I think there is only one vvt solenoid on mine, the THP156. Faff is an understatement, I nearly lost the will to live trying to get it out from the back of the engine without losing the holding screw. There isn't a corresponding one on the front side of my engine, although I wish I was wrong cos it would probably explain everything :)

Marmite

Reaction score
Definitely 2 one on the back of head a one dead opposite at front hidden from view a bit by pipe work . If you can slacken the retaining screw get a glue gun a glue stick on your socket an you may have better luck getting it in an out . There is a o ring on each vvt. Valve that may need replacing ( penny’s )IMG_0857.jpeg

Last edited:

shoshin

Reaction score
Definitely 2 one on the back of head a one dead opposite at front hidden from view a bit by pipe work . If you can slacken the retaining screw get a glue gun a glue stick on your socket an you may have better luck getting it in an out . There is a o ring on each vvt. Valve that may need replacing ( penny’s )View attachment 14039
Maybe yours isn't a 1.6 THP156? No second bank on mine sadly.