What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Urgent Help Needed for a Newbie!

Maldini40

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can give me some advice. I bought a Z - 200 GT petrol, a few weeks ago.

The oil top up light came on a few days ago so I checked the dipstick and can see oil is needed. Well I think i could see the line!! I know it is difficult!! and it does look it it needs a top up.

I wasn't worried as I know these engines need oil quite frequently. My problem is between going to Euro CAr Parts, speaking to two different peuogeot dealers and even asking the guy I bought the car from I'm get told different grades of oil to put in. The guys at Euro even advised that if I top up with a different oil to what is in I can damage the engine.

All i want to do is top up but I don't know what to do for the best. :wtf: :crazy: :eusa-think:

The guy I bought the car from says he put in Shell 5w40, when i went to Euro they said they wouldn't recommend I that in as it doesn't come up on the the list. I had bought Castrol Edge Titanium from them 0w40 but then got cold feet about using that.

Can someone please tell me what I should put in? I haven't driven the Z since the warning came on....it's killing me!!!!! Looking through this forum i can see most have gone with the 5w30 as specified in the service manual, my issue is based on what Euro have said and putting 5w30 in, if I put that in and there is 5w40, will this cause problems??

Apologies for the long post.

2retro

Reaction score
Well any oil is better than no oil so I would say top up with what they recommend in the manual. Or, if worried about mixing them, take it for an oil and filter change and replace the lot with the recommended one. :thumbup:

tianorth

Reaction score
I agree with the above if unsure do a complete oil and oil filter change and use oil you are happy with, that way you know what's gone in and can top up with the same.

Maldini40

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It had cross my mind to do that and I had already got a quote from the stealers. I think a service is due in a few months so I had wanted to wait to closer to the the service date and do the full change with the rest of the service. The top up was to just tide me over till then. Problem is I cant get the car in to be serviced until next week and in the meantime I need to drive it but none the wiser as to which oil to top it up with in case i do damage.

Never thought for a minute it would turn into this. Am I being over cautious? So many different opinions just in terms of top up. I just don't want to damage the engine.

tianorth

Reaction score
Pop it in to your dealership and say you are getting this warning but it really hard to see the level on the dipstick.
They should look at it and if they are any good should give you up to 1 litre free top up.
Especially if you tell them the service is coming up (doesn't mean you have to go with them for the service!!!!).
If they do any work on it they will be liable if anything goes wrong.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
What's that ?!!

A Peugeot dealer doing something to a Peugeot car and then it goes wrong !!! Unheard of :eusa-think: ;) :eusa-whistle:

tianorth

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
What's that ?!!

A Peugeot dealer doing something to a Peugeot car and then it goes wrong !!! Unheard of :eusa-think: ;) :eusa-whistle:
You speaking from experience?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Aren't we all?

Front suspension top mounts replaced FOC but set of locking nuts sh@gged by dealer removing/replacing them. Cost me £40 - nothing to do with them of course, even though they were fine before it went in & useless when I got it back. I even approached Peugeot UK over it, not the money but the principle. They just believed their dealer that it must have been me that did it.
Trouble is I'm with the same dealer on a service contract, so it doesn't bode too well for that.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It also took the same dealer 4 attempts to sort out a "0 satellites visible" issue I had with the Nav. Eventually replaced the GPS aerial under warranty.
3 attempts to solve a leak on the windscreen washers. Eventually replaced a pipe to the headlight washers under warranty.

All minor issues, but what will happen if something serious needs sorting ? :crazy:

TAC

Reaction score
Moan moan moan shouldn't you be washing the car :eusa-whistle:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Oh it's a bit dark at the moment....... And it's raining.

Never mind,

Where's me torch & brolly :D

Maldini40

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Topped up with the same was what the previous owner used. Service isn't due until sept 16, so may do a full oil change early next year.

A

Anonymous

Best investment a vacuum oil extractor (pump), using the same way the stick used for measuring goes. Just need to make sure you have the right thickness for the tubing as it's quite narrow, but with the oil warm, a quick and trouble free job. To replace the filter, with the right tools, easy too.

https://teon.co/cars/peugeot-rcz-petrol ... extraction

The oil suggested in the manual isn't available from every shop, always ordered from eBay, so plan a bit ahead. Filters, always bosch.

For my extractor I had to order silicon tubing and somehow adapt, but worked fine.

A

Anonymous

i lov my car apart from fault please help

:helpme:hi I'm a new user! My car starts ok and then when it's warm and turning engine off it then won't start. It's not reconising the key. Horns, wipers not working.
Disconected battery left for couple a hours, connected battery - then it reconises the key and starts!

It's a 2010 plate 1.6 turbo any suggestions ??