What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyre repair cartridge mishap !!!!

A

Anonymous

Well i've just spent 2 hours cleaning off the white gunk that leaked from the internal cartridge on the tyre compressor onto from my drive, hands, clothes and every where else it decided to spray.

All was going well this morning until my son noted that he had a low tyre and was keen to leave for work, so ok i thought, not a problem, i will pump it up with my lovely new Peugeot pump, couldnt wait to unwrap it.
Anyway how difficult could it be, i've used pumps like this many many times !!!

So unwrapped the pump, connected the black airline to the tyre, made sure the select dial was on pump and not "gunk", plugged in the socket to the 12v Aux, turned on compressor and we were off, the pump was pumping away like a good'n and no probs at all, UNTIL we saw smoke and sensed a strange and worrying aroma :eusa-think: i thought to myself as my son took 3 steps back.

Then we noticed the small but slowly growing pool of white gunk spreading over the drive and inside the compressor,so unplugged everything to investigate, this is where it all went t*t's up, the dial that is used to select pump or "gunk" had slowly moved around with the vibration from the compressor towards "gunk" just enough to open the valve pumping air into the "gunk" cartridge, obviously as the tube coming from the cartridge was not needed, it had not been attatched to the tyre and still had it's end cap in place, therefor the cartridge was just expanding with air and "gunk" but it had nowhere to go. NOT GOOD :thumbdown:

The cartridge was now leaking from a seal inside and was also spraying a fine mist of "gunk" from the end of the cartridge tube.
To stop the leak i had to get the pressure out of the cartridge by removing the end cap on the tube, this then basicaly empties the remainder of the cartridge, with some force !! (be aware)

This stuff dries like glue,very quickly !! (again be aware)

So anyway, we (well i say we,the lad had done a runner by now) had to quickly get the Karcher pressure washer out with enough washing up liquid to last a year.
It comes off your hands easy enough, the drive is another matter, but with my Karcher, a scrubbing brush, 5 gallons of fairy liquid and 2 hours later, i'm hoping the wife will never know :eusa-whistle:

Anyway a word of warning, the vibration of the motor seems to cause the select dial on the pump to vibrate around, it only has to move a fraction and it lets air into the "gunk" cartridge, if this cartridge is not being used and is capped off,then you've got problems, there is no way of saving the "gunk" as the pressure would of already started to increase inside the cartridge, and if like me you did'nt notice until it was too late you've also got a big mess to deal with. :eek:

My tip if you need air in your tyre : Drive to the nearest garage or have your Karcher on standby. :(

RCZ1

Reaction score
Hi Jact

I've used mine many times to put air into my tyres and not had any problems. Now however, I will keep a close eye on the dial to make sure that it doesn't move. Thanks for the warning.

A

Anonymous

Hi RCZ1,

To be honest i've used a similar type of pump before without any probs, and certainly was'nt expecting any with this one.
Hopefully this was a one off, i've had to clean the pump down with some fairy liquid and warm water, so once the pump has fully dried out i will plug it back in to see water happens, this time though i will plug it into my old run around, just in case it decides to cough out a bit of remaining "gunk". That sounds like i'm working on a 90 year old geriatric :lol:

Losing the repair addative was'nt a big deal, it was the mess it made that p****d me off.

My son has taken over my last car, a Vauxhall Astra 140 sri in black, it really is an immaculate car, so you can imagine his delight at having a fine mist of glue being sprayed over the paintwork. Not surprised that he made a sharp exit, he was fuming. :evil:

A

Anonymous

Just love your post jactac. Warning heeded. But so well written

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Just love your post jactac. Warning heeded. But so well written

Thank you 0058RON,
It is my pleasure to serve and spread the word. :lol:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Hope your son gets the glue off his car without too much of a problem Jactac :)

I hope so too RCZ1, We may be calling on your skills if things look to be staining, but i dont think the car caught a lot of it. :eusa-think:
Now me, my drive and my nice new jeans, were a different matter, lets just say things got a bit messy. :roll:

A

Anonymous

It wasnt anything to do with a liquid celebration of the Jacks getting promoted that had something to do with this was it mun? :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

H12RPO said:
It wasnt anything to do with a liquid celebration of the Jacks getting promoted that had something to do with this was it mun? :eusa-whistle:

:eusa-shhh: The wife is known as Radar round these parts !!
"It was a freak accident dear" honest hic . :beer: :lol:

A

Anonymous

Now that is unlucky.

:text-blondmoment:

Glad you got it all cleaned up and :text-goodpost: with regard the warning.

As you say, so easy and quick for it to happen.

:beer: