What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tyre Pressures Not Monitored

A

Anonymous

Hi I get this wanring "Tyre Pressures Not Monitored" after about 10-15min every time I drive since I had a new tyre fitted. I dont really care if they are not monitored frankly (I can see if the tyres are flat myself), but the warning is damn annoying, and I dont want to fork out more money to get a sensor changed. Is there any way to disable the warning?

Thanks

TAC

Reaction score
The tyre shop should have noticed the sensors and taken appropriate action.
They didn't so go back there and have them correct it. It is their fault after all.

A

Anonymous

Yeah well it was done a while ago to be honest at a ford garage so if there is a CB i can pull instead I would rather just do that to be honest.

frankvdb

Reaction score
Tyre pressure monitoring has to be disabled via the OBD-II interface.
I've had this done after they couldn't get it functioning again after I'd bought the Techincal wheels (with sensors, of course...)

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Let's hope they didn't remove the sensor and install a basic tyre valve. I purchase new valves specific for the sensors (direct from Peugeot) and have the tyre shop replace these when I have tyres replaced. Sometimes the system picks-up on a problem but after a short time and distance it clears-up, unless there really is a problem. I would not recommend disabling the system if you have it, there really is no need.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Not totally sure on this but I think it's now mandatory to have TPMS, so is an MoT failure if they're not working.

I believe it came in a few years ago and, by law, all new cars have to have them.

If your's a phase 1, they probably just need re-coding to the car. Easy to do but a few notes at the dealers. You could try moving the wheels around the car and see if it will sort itself out, however that's a bit tedious in practice. Tools to access the car to reprograme and a tool to activate the sensor on demand can be bought over the Internet (£100 & £50 respectively). A bit more than a dealer would charge but you can do it yourself again, any time.

If it's a phase 2, they should be less finicky about which hub the're on, so lack of function suggests something more serious.

2retro

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
Not totally sure on this but I think it's now mandatory to have TPMS, so is an MoT failure if they're not working.

I believe it came in a few years ago and, by law, all new cars have to have them.

He's not wrong:

http://www.tyresafe.org/media-centr...ion-causing-uninformed-motorists-to-fail-mot/

Since drivers have managed just fine without tyre pressure monitors on their cars for the last 60+ years though this new legislation really does sound like a load of ***** to me! :x

tianorth

Reaction score
A way of making money as they will at some point go wrong or get damaged.
Mine is a phase 2 (hdi) and does not have tyre pressure sensors.
Brochure for 2014 onwards has them as standard.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It's all to do with what's fitted to the car. If it's there it has to work or it's a fail. If it's not there they can't fail you for it.

On a previous car, I was told it had failed because the headlamps didn't stay on with the ignition off if the switch was on :wtf: or something like that, I was very confused at the time not knowing much about cars then. I took the car to a dealer to get it "fixed" only to find out that my car wasn't supposed to do that, so went back to the mot garage for an apology & a pass certificate

If there are no sensors fitted to the car, I'm not sure if they can fail you for it, maybe they can only if they KNOW the car should have them, but if it was just an option ............. :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
tianorth said:
A way of making money as they will at some point go wrong or get damaged.
Mine is a phase 2 (hdi) and does not have tyre pressure sensors.
Brochure for 2014 onwards has them as standard.

According to the video on the page linked by 2retro, ALL new model cars after 2012 and ALL cars manufactured from 2014 have to have TPMS fitted.

As your is a phase 2 it is classed as a new model (significant change of design) and was also manufactured after 2012 so legally, it should have the TPMS system fitted. :eusa-think:

That's one of the reasons the phase 2's have DRL's as they are classed as a change of design so it became a legal requirement.

I am surprised to hear yours doesn't have the TPMS system, I thought all phase 2's had them.

2retro

Reaction score
Mine's 2013 Phase II and it doesn't have them.

Like you say, it's like lights - if they are on the car, they have to work.

They can hardly fail somebody for not having something though can they so I guess I'm OK! lol

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, leads to a stupid question, how do you know if you have them fitted? Handy in case your car is failed because they don't work.

I must admit, I have no idea if mine has, other than when my car went in to a dealer, I asked if they could rotate my wheels to average tyre wear, service manager said yes, but then was told by mechanic it would require re calibrating because the sensors were registered to each corner, so I assume I have them.

2retro

Reaction score
OK, so it says the batteries in them last around 2 years so if, for example, you buy a new car now by the time it's due for it's first MOT in 3 years time the batteries will have gone so the sensors won't work and you fail the MOT?! And the only way to replace the batteries is to take the wheels off the car and remove and refit the tyres....

Seriously, which idiot came up with this new legislation?! :evil:

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
I have had my sensors in place for close to 5-years now and they all work still and I have never had to replace the batteries. I have had the sensors moved to different wheels (two times, so I am on my 3rd set of wheels for the car), and the wheels have moved several times to different locations on the car without any need for calibration. I believe you can access the system via the menu system in the car, but I am not close to mine to confirm.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Batteries are quoted as having 10 year life, I believe.

If the system is fitted to your car you should have an orange symbol on your dash that looks like a flat tyre with a nail in it. Like your engine management light, it should come on with your ignition then go off after a few seconds if all is well.

Wheel movement is required to measure the pressure, which is why the puncture warning only comes on after a few minutes of driving, not straight away.

From my experiences, phase 1 & 2 cars have slightly different systems, with phase 2 requiring no manual registration of sensors. However, it may be that this change didn't coincide with the phase 1/2 boundary. All I can say is my old phase 1, 11 plate GT200 required me to register sensors and was fussy about where they were on the car. My 14 plate R is not fussy and doesn't require sensor registration. I know this from fitting complete winter wheels/tyres/sensors and spare wheels on occasion.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, after owning my Z for almost 2 years, I have just discovered how to get the TPMS to check the tyres & the car to do a diagnostic check.

On the instrument panel above the steering column, there are two buttons in between the speedo & rev counter, below the small LED display. One on the right says check/000. If you press this, after a second or so the small led display shows the tyre pressures on the car (well, if they OK or not anyway).
After this, the large led flip up display goes through a diagnostic check of several things including automatic lights, automatic wipers, and end with a diagnostic conclusion.

I did check my pressures, and one front was 4lbs down, the other front 2lbs down & both rears @ 1lb down. So this system is OK for a serious pressure loss, but not for day to day pressure monitoring. This needs to be done manually.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 14,065
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 14,068
A

Anonymous

nowaklu said:
Hi I get this wanring "Tyre Pressures Not Monitored" after about 10-15min every time I drive since I had a new tyre fitted. I dont really care if they are not monitored frankly (I can see if the tyres are flat myself), but the warning is damn annoying, and I dont want to fork out more money to get a sensor changed. Is there any way to disable the warning?

Thanks

Hi, you say you can see if your tyres are flat this may not be as easy as you think. I once had a tyre pressure warning sayiing I had an offside front flat, having checked the tyre and checked the pressure all was ok, so I contacted my garage they said the sensor may just need to be reset, when I took the car in to be checked they found there was a nail in the tyre, this could have caused a tyre blowout. So if you are getting this warning I think it would be worth having the sensor/sensors checked. I hope this is of some help. HB