What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Turbo charge to low

Bushwick

Reaction score
Dear RCZ lovers.

I drive a PEUGEOT RCZ 1.6 THP 155 - 2011

Initially, I was bothered that my timing chain was stretched. Because of this I also got the above error message (with the turbo) and had it repaired. The garage said the warning is because the chain has become loose and could cause various problems with the engine.
So now I have a new chain (and I notice that the car really drives better), but the turbo warning is back

Could it be that the turbo is simply broken and what does a new turbo cost?
Or could it be part of the turbo that needs to be replaced?
Can it hurt to continue driving with this message?

Sorry for the many questions, but I'm not much of a techie.
I will of course go to the garage, but I prefer to ask the experts here first, before I have to spend a lot of money on the garage.....

Last edited:

lfe

Reaction score
What is turbo warning for you?

It is the message that the engine needs to be repaired?

Do you know any fault code?

Bushwick

Reaction score
Yes the message is indeed that the engine needs to be repaired.
The faultcode through the OBDB scanner is P0299: turbocharging regulation fault, turbo charging pressure too low

I dont know which OBDB scanner, it was my friends....

lfe

Reaction score
Do you notice a lack of power?

It may be that the turbo wastegate remains open due to some mechanical failure.

Bushwick

Reaction score
Ah thanks - i did notice lack of power when the chain was loose. But now thats repaired, the car drives better. without power lose.
So i guess the Turbo is broken i guess....

lfe

Reaction score
If the car has good power, the turbo does not leak oil or make noise, it will surely be in good condition. The wastegate too.

Ask your friend if his device can read the pressure in the intake manifold.

Drive a bit with him and if the pressure rises to 0.6 bar when accelerating then nothing happens to the turbo.

Perhaps a pressure sensor fails, look to clean the one on the upper face of the intercooler outlet pipe.

It can be cleaned with contact cleaner spray. It can also be changed for a new one.

Bushwick

Reaction score
Thank again. My friend sold his scanner :) - so i cant acces it anymore. But i will ask the garage to check what you told me....

lfe

Reaction score
For less than €10 you can buy an ODBII ELM327 connector and with a free app on your mobile phone you can see that pressure too. Also view and clear default codes