What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Towing weights with the RCZ

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm thinking about putting a towbar on my, on order, 156 GT RCZ ( woot :clap: ). I've been reading up on Kerb weights etc but I'm confused.

The RCZ specs shows the following:
Gross vehicle weight (GVW): 1726
Kerb weight: 1394
Gross train weight (GTW): 2240

Where as the 308-cc shows "Maximum braked trailer weight" & "Maximum tow ball weight" but not Kerb weight.

From reading what I can find in google http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1081996901&type=RESOURCES it appears that the most I can tow would be the GTW - GVW ie 2240 - 1726 = 514Kg.

The family is around 214Kg so this would suggest the most I can tow would be 300Kg. The trailer I'm looking at is 95kg unladen so am I right in assuming the maximum I can put in the trailer is 205Kg?

Does this sound right to you guys and gals ? Any of you towbar peeps agree or can tell me I'm being a muppet.

I'm assuming that since there are no braked figures listed this isn't an option so caravan's are out (not that I want one, I like my tent)

I'm trying to determine if I can get my camping gear into a trailer + bikes on top to make the RCZ a holiday car as well. The 300Kg will be the make or break on gear and trailiers.

Any advice is appreciated, many thanks

David

ps. I'll probably cross post this to ukcampsite.co.uk

A

Anonymous

An Rcz towing something ???? :thumbdown:
Ukcampsite did you say my friend? :wave: :wave: :wave:

A

Anonymous

camping in style :D

Got to love ukcampsite I can't imagine going on holiday now without checking out places on there first. Awesome community, I'm not sure I've actually ever really posted on their but always spend time on there researching. We went camping for the first time last year and loved it, such great value for money.

A

Anonymous

Basically you can tow a 514kg unbraked trailer with the vehicle at max weight. I tow a motorcycle trailer which is empty at 95kg plus 2x200ish kg bikes. You can increase the tow weight using a braked trailer but have to reduce the vehicle weight to stay within the gross train limits. The load of t he car is nearly 500kg so plenty to play with especially for a 2 seater!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mr Shiney, that confirms my thoughts. Glad to see I was on the right track. I doubt we'd ever need the braked capability anyway so 514Kg would be fine.

thanks again

Dave

Joske

Reaction score
Sint-Huibrechts-Hern - Limburg - Flanders
mr shiney said:
Basically you can tow a 514kg unbraked trailer with the vehicle at max weight. I tow a motorcycle trailer which is empty at 95kg plus 2x200ish kg bikes. You can increase the tow weight using a braked trailer but have to reduce the vehicle weight to stay within the gross train limits. The load of t he car is nearly 500kg so plenty to play with especially for a 2 seater!!

More info about the trailer please. If I can find a trailer light enough to put 2 motorbikes then there's a possibility to put a towthing on my rcz. :oops:

A

Anonymous

Its just a standard 2 bike trailer made by Lider. Unbraked and weighs in at 95kg. It tows really nicely behind the RCZ. I have towed my braked Williams trailer which is around 750kg all up as well. That tows fine but the car is starting to work harder at that! Generally speaking anything beyond the bike trailer tends to go on the back of my RageRover 90 which can tow 3xSankey 1t in a train!!! The Landrover is just nuts!