What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Top speed run

MPC

Reaction score
I "accidentally" found myself in Germany last night, and when i saw the famous sign at the motorway entrance, i couldn't help myself. Even after 10 years and 100.000 KM's , she still gets up to 225 km/h. I think i might have burned off the filth on the valves as well as emptied a quarter of the fuel tank in the 20KM i did (consumption showed around 24L/100KM)

Times like these makes you forget all the nightmare stories you hear about Peugeot and these engines, and makes you appreciate the car to its fullest extent!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Must be great to be able to max your car out fully legally.

MPC

Reaction score
It really is, but it still feels weird just because you're used to getting fines for doing 110, and now you're going twice that :)

Dingers

Reaction score
Did this a few times in different vehicles when I worked on the continent. It's very refreshing to just concentrate on your driving & not be afraid of Police intervention on autobahns. Obviously if it's wet they are very strict on the 130 kmh rule (80 mph).
My Alfa sat at 130 mph for half an hour on the way to the Nurburgring & never missed a beat. But it definitely makes you focus on the road way ahead at that speed ....

RCZ-R

Reaction score
It really is, but it still feels weird just because you're used to getting fines for doing 110, and now you're going twice that :)
I live in the opposite world, means I'm having hard times to focus on driving when going only 100-130 kmh. I start to drift away in my thoughts, start playing with the phone, etc. Once while traveling in Belgium I almost felt asleep at the wheel, no kidding.
I can only focus on driving when going +160 kmh and I feel the best at 190-210 kmh. But as soon as I get a phone call, I automatically drop to 130-150 on the right lane and continue with the call. In general I don't like to take calls while driving. If I do something I rather want to put my full focus on it.

By the way, I once had the RCZ 156 for a week and managed to squeeze out +230 kmh out of it.

Bernie

Reaction score
I once took my R to 158mph or 254kph, I wish I had continued till it actually stopped rising, it is supposedly limited to 155mph
These cars are great on the right roads at the right time

MPC

Reaction score
@RCZ-R i feel the same, i get really easily distracted and tired when driving 100kmh every day, 130 is a better speed. Its just that when you are doing 200+, it feels "illegal" since you're normally not allowed to do that.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I once took my R to 158mph or 254kph, I wish I had continued till it actually stopped rising, it is supposedly limited to 155mph
These cars are great on the right roads at the right time
Yes, the R is limited at exactly 254 kmh on the speedo which is 250 GPS speed.
I had the limiter removed on mine and posted my results here on the forum. The R was going almost 270, if I remember correctly.
It was a huge fun doing so. Car was planted very well, no much more wind noises than at 250. It felt like it was built for that.
But the speedo will not show any values beyond 254. It just stops there. Only the gear change indicator shows "shift up" (that tiny arrow up in the right corner). And you see the revs going up. I did the measurement via a GPS device.

Bernie

Reaction score
I would like to see with the right road and conditions I could match that
I have a faster car but talk happily about the R as its the better equipped car with better technologically advanced engine

E.C.Ewe

Reaction score
Yes, the R is limited at exactly 254 kmh on the speedo which is 250 GPS speed.
I had the limiter removed on mine and posted my results here on the forum. The R was going almost 270, if I remember correctly.
It was a huge fun doing so. Car was planted very well, no much more wind noises than at 250. It felt like it was built for that.
But the speedo will not show any values beyond 254. It just stops there. Only the gear change indicator shows "shift up" (that tiny arrow up in the right corner). And you see the revs going up. I did the measurement via a GPS device.

How is this done and who can do it? Cost?
Is the limiter put on to limit top speed or engine revs to prevent irreparable engine damage?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
How is this done and who can do it? Cost?
Is the limiter put on to limit top speed or engine revs to prevent irreparable engine damage?

It was removed by a capable mechanic. Obviously it is not that hard to do when you have the right software and access to all the systems. There was just a single setting to be changed and the job was done.
The gearing in 6th is sufficient to go up to that speed of 169 MPH. When you do the indicated 254 there are still some revs left before you hit the rev limiter. 169 MPH means you hit the rev limiter in 6th. I still regret I did not film when it happened. It was a spontaneous decision while I was on a long haul doing 210-220 all the time (to save fuel, hahaha) and then there was this huge stretch of almost empty 3-lanes of autobahn. And I stepped on it. On winter tyres, haha. No worries, those were certified for up to 270 kmh.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
@RCZ-R i feel the same, i get really easily distracted and tired when driving 100kmh every day, 130 is a better speed. Its just that when you are doing 200+, it feels "illegal" since you're normally not allowed to do that.
It's been a while since I was driving in the Netherlands. But each time I was I did stay under the speed limit precisely. I have no clue how frequent speeding control are in there and I had no device to warn me about speeding cameras. So this time I was the one blocking the left lane from time to time doing exactly 100 instead of 110.

Last edited:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I would like to see with the right road and conditions I could match that
I have a faster car but talk happily about the R as its the better equipped car with better technologically advanced engine
The RCZ-R accelerates pretty quickly from let's say 200 up to 250. So when the limiter is removed you would need a 2 up to 3 miles of autobahn to go for +250 kmh.
It is not this kind of painstakingly process I sometimes see with some newer cars which struggle to accelerate properly above 210. Thanks to the proper gearing ratio in 6th and the very lively and rev-happy up to redline turbo engine, it just keeps pulling all the way up to the rev limiter (when speed limiter removed).

I can say the most fun I had with the R when on autobahns were all those pulls between 130 and 200-210. Sure, going flat out can also be fun and I did it a lot. But you need to work on your reactions and visual perception to keep up with all those inputs coming at you at those speeds. When you struggle to do so or you hesitate to react, it could end in a misery. The R has tremendous brakes but you cannot cheat physics.

Marmite

Reaction score
It was removed by a capable mechanic. Obviously it is not that hard to do when you have the right software and access to all the systems. There was just a single setting to be changed and the job was done.
The gearing in 6th is sufficient to go up to that speed of 169 MPH. When you do the indicated 254 there are still some revs left before you hit the rev limiter. 169 MPH means you hit the rev limiter in 6th. I still regret I did not film when it happened. It was a spontaneous decision while I was on a long haul doing 210-220 all the time (to save fuel, hahaha) and then there was this huge stretch of almost empty 3-lanes of autobahn. And I stepped on it. On winter tyres, haha. No worries, those were certified for up to 270 kmh.

did the digital readout keep going once the needle hit the stop on the speedometer

RCZ-R

Reaction score
did the digital readout keep going once the needle hit the stop on the speedometer

No, both the needle and the digital readout stops at 254. Only the rev counter climbs till it hits the rev limiter.
The only difference between limiter is on or off is that "gear up" arrow showing up when you exceed the speed limiter. When a RCZ is limited, it won't come up. When it is unlimited it will show up suggesting you change to 7th gear (or something like this). But the speedo freezes at 254.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
That is the screenshot from the run. I know, it could be anything, but it is the topspeed run done in my R. The 178,7 was the speed I was travelling while my wife took the screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-04-09-07-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-04-09-07-22.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 12

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
We’re on rocky ground here the last time there were a post about top speed runs a member who shall be nameless spat the dummy and claimed he were being called a liar! 😂😂 needless to say he doesn’t post anymore sad as he were a good contributor to the group 🤷‍♂️