What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Timing Chain Tensioner issues?

A

Anonymous

Hey out there! I've just ordered my RCZ GT 200, but I'm having a minor attack of remorse...

I'm swapping a mini cooper S for the RCZ because I've had ongoing technical problems with the timing chain and high oil consumption in the mini for the last 18 months - to the point that the lease company have said they'll take it back because its a known problem with no fix.

Then I discovered that the RCZ uses the same engine! Argh! Help!!! The reason I'm changing is to get away from these problems. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Any known issues?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Em

Joske

Reaction score
Sint-Huibrechts-Hern - Limburg - Flanders
In the RCZ I didn't hear anyone with the problem. The THP200 engine is at a lot of points different from the one in the mini. So let's hope they are better.
In the 207 there are a lot of cars with the same problem.

The timingproblems with a lot of 207's helped me choose for the HDI. :oops: :oops:

Peugeots are great cars, the only thing that's really rubish is the german engine. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

I think its prudent to remember that while the engine in the RCZ is similar to the one in the Cooper S it has been "developed" with the frenchies so isnt exactly the same...or maybe im just clinging on to that ray of light.

A

Anonymous

Hey em

I have an RCZ GT 200 THP. Love the car to bits, however, about 3 weeks ago I had a rather large oil leak, which came from the timing chain case cover apparently being loose. My local Peugeot dealer to their credit resolved the issue and returned the car to me within 24 hours. It's been absolutely fine ever since. Have had no issues with oil consumption either. As Is the case with most new cars it is an absolute lottery as to whether it will develop faults. I'm sure most of us on the forum know of people with other brands of car that have developed various faults. One thing to bear in mind is that a forum is usually the first place someone will go if their car develops a fault. The RCZ is an awesome car I love it, as I'm sure you will too!

Regards

Jez

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone!! I know it's a bit of a gamble with any new car, I've just had sooo many problems with the mini, it's made me paranoid!!

The dealer is really helpful and didn't think I was crazy when I mentioned this so big credits to them.

Looking forward to getting mine in time for plenty of summer driving :)

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

Yes, it is a know problem on both the mini and several peugeot citroen cars, its not that common anymore and was only on early build cars.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I havent really seen much in the way of oil leaks, just a slight rattle on cold mornings.

The engines are pretty much identical on both the mini range and peugeot citroens.

It was co-developed between both company's.

Let me know how you get on emmaw

A

Anonymous

PeugeotTechUK said:
Yes, it is a know problem on both the mini and several peugeot citroen cars, its not that common anymore and was only on early build cars.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I havent really seen much in the way of oil leaks, just a slight rattle on cold mornings.

The engines are pretty much identical on both the mini range and peugeot citroens.

It was co-developed between both company's.

Let me know how you get on emmaw

How early and what have Peugeot done to fix the issue?

I had the problem on a March 2010 308CC GT, it was off the road for nearly 4 weeks in March while it was repaired.

One of the reasons why I sold it and took a £10k+ loss.

A

Anonymous

My 156 gt (15 months old, 10500 miles) is currently in for timing chain repairs.
A few weeks ago my engine sounded like a 'bag of nails' at 2500 - 3500 revvs and the oil level warning light came on - no power loss at all though.
After the dealer had a look, they told my the timing chain tensioner bolt had come loose which caused the rattle and the oil leak - i dread to think about what kind of damage could have occured.
I've had a few issues with the dealer - too long a story to go in to - they've had my car since december 1st - however they've told me they've had to replace the timing chain guides and that the chain adjustment is at the limits of the peugeot recommended tolerance.
I should pick my baby up today. but they will have a few questions to answer!!

A

Anonymous

hello all .. I am Italian and my name is mirko ... I also had the same problem on Thursday, on my rcz 156cv .... I was going to work when at some point my onboard computer began to go crazy .... the computer indicated to stop and there was absolutely fixed the STOP .... and the water pressure was at 130 degrees .... I stopped immediately .. I opened the hood and there was oil everywhere ..... I called the toll-free and loaded on the tow truck .... brought to the workshop and thought the worst .... instead they called me the next day to pick up the car .... problem? chain tensioner ...
works in oil and with a pressure of 3 bar, it was unscrewed and then lost all the oil that I had to pay 88.40 euros .... the car and 'still under warranty .... I hope that now will not happen 'more'.....
Greetings all .... Mirko ...
use google to translate from Italian to English ... I know 'that there are many errors, and writing, but' the only way to talk to you ....
excuse me ....

A

Anonymous

There is lots of evidence of continuing problems with the THP in Citroens, eg, the DS3 DSport, which uses the same engine as the RCZ 156, and DS3 Racing which uses the same engine as the RCZ 200.

Check it out if you're interested at www.ds3club.co.uk

PSA's claims to have cured the THP's problems are unjustifiably optimistic, I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

It was good to see Peugeot Tech posting and then bolting. Did he/she not have an answer? :roll:

It's not a good thing to be happening. I didn't expect to pay £25.5k for a 308CC and see it off the road for nearly 4 weeks at 1 year old. It might have been longer if Peugeot never eventually got off their backside and chased the incompetent dealer.

It also meant I had to sell the car at 15 months old and take a loss of more than £10k.

A

Anonymous

I've just had this problem. Nightmare good jobs rcz was in warranty

A

Anonymous

Just found this thread after it was discovered I had an oil leak and then the tensioner bolt was found loose. That was followed by an Engine Management fault and I have now been told that the timing tool, when fitted shows that the timing is out. They suspect the timing chain, but having read this thread, once fixed the car is going. Too many 'characteristics' to list...lovely car, yes...but that only gets it so far. I personally wouldn't recommend the RCZ to anyone I liked. My dealer has been great though.

A

Anonymous

andyrzc said:
Just found this thread after it was discovered I had an oil leak and then the tensioner bolt was found loose. That was followed by an Engine Management fault and I have now been told that the timing tool, when fitted shows that the timing is out. They suspect the timing chain, but having read this thread, once fixed the car is going. Too many 'characteristics' to list...lovely car, yes...but that only gets it so far. I personally wouldn't recommend the RCZ to anyone I liked. My dealer has been great though.
Bit harsh :eek: If u read all the faults i had with my last 2 cars nobody would ever buy another BMW :thumbdown: I certainly won't :cry:

A

Anonymous

Hi andy i agree you can only defend a car for so long then you get fed up!!The sound is terrible for a new car you will be left red faced driving what they call a so called sports car!

A

Anonymous

Not one issue with mine, I'm at 25000k miles. This is my 2nd RCZ!

A

Anonymous

Personally, I am getting fed up with Peugeot.

I sold the 308CC much earlier than intended due to the timing chain issues which saw the car off the road for nearly 4 weeks last year. I lost over £10k for 15 months of ownership.

The RCZ has just spent a week (last week) in the garage due to the thermostat issue where the thermostat housing and a vacuum pump were replaced.

I have owned 9 new Peugeots over the last 18 years and need a car I can have faith in. I had to have the car towed home then towed again to the dealer the next day which was nearly 25 miles away.

Next week I will be on holiday on a Scottish island, lucky it never happened then. In September I am travelling to the South of France and back for a holiday - I need a car I can trust.