What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Timing chain tensioner bolt replacement 156bhp

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Hi guys, a mate has a rcz 156bhp which has a slight rattle when cold on start up, the noise disappears shortly after, no fault codes or engine management lights are on. It pulls well and drives as it should.
my question is can you replace the tensioner bolt without having to lock the crankshaft and camshaft first? Or would it be better to replace the whole timing chain, guides, sprockets and tensioner?
thanks guys any advice would be helpful.

Chillipip

Reaction score
You don’t need to lock up the cams or crank to change the tensioner however it’ll be a good idea to check if the chain has stretched with the tool that is in the locking set.
It could also just need an oil change with good oil if it hasn’t in a while

Charlie1875

Reaction score
It’s just had an oil change so rule that out, so the chain shouldn’t jump when you take the tensioner out then

Pedro

Reaction score
Put it this way if it jumps because the chain is stretched its the rocker cover off & retime the engine or change the chain cassette & why do Peugeot MDs always lock the flywheel before they remove the tensioner?

lfe

Reaction score
After reading here that some forum user had done it, I changed the tensioner 3 months ago in my 156 hp without locking anything and the result was very good, a little rattling that I had occasionally when cold has disappeared.

Put a container underneath, when the tensioner is removed about 100cc of oil falls

Lubricate the tensioner well previously, I had it submerged in oil for 2 days,

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Well guys just an update, got a torch and mirror down to the tensioner and found the engine hoist bracket was loose and rattling about. Hope after tightening that’s cured the rattle. Looks as though it has the upgraded tensioner due to the different bolt head.

lfe

Reaction score
That hoist bracket works great as a fulcrum to pry the wrench when loosening and tightening the tensioner