What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Timing chain change about 1k miles ago a year ago and now light, light grey some noted on idle even when car warmed up

rcz22

Reaction score
Hey
I bought my one owner RCZ 16THP automatic a few years ago its a year 14 car. It's now done about 21k miles fully serviced by the main dealer and Halford once a couple of years ago then Peugeot last year year before and they changed the timing chain. It was hardly noticeable but my dad picked up on it so i had it changed very early.

Recent weeks, been working from home since March hardly driven, dad noted light grey, light grey some as I was reversing up our drive. He washed all of the cars yesterday and left the car running for an hour to warm her up and then drove a couple of miles having washed her and then he showed me the they light smoke on idle.

Cars been well looked after but we are aware re timing chain problems.

Do you guy's think its the valve seals/etc? We will check the water etc see if it is going down but was not overheating and was 12C yesterday but car was heated up.

Thanks.

PS - what other cars use this engine I recall other cars in Peugeot lineup use this as well as BMW - is it the mini?

rcz22

Reaction score
Soz, can't edit thread. The light smoke did not smell of anything as far as we can tell. The car drove good.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Check all levels. Oil, water, the Z is known to sometimes have a light grey smoke, it might be just because it hasn’t been driven for some time.

Marmite

Reaction score
Hey
I bought my one owner RCZ 16THP automatic a few years ago its a year 14 car. It's now done about 21k miles fully serviced by the main dealer and Halford once a couple of years ago then Peugeot last year year before and they changed the timing chain. It was hardly noticeable but my dad picked up on it so i had it changed very early.

Recent weeks, been working from home since March hardly driven, dad noted light grey, light grey some as I was reversing up our drive. He washed all of the cars yesterday and left the car running for an hour to warm her up and then drove a couple of miles having washed her and then he showed me the they light smoke on idle.

Cars been well looked after but we are aware re timing chain problems.

Do you guy's think its the valve seals/etc? We will check the water etc see if it is going down but was not overheating and was 12C yesterday but car was heated up.

Thanks.
I had this on mine for a bit until I found a leaking vacume pipe just below the turbo the plastic retainer clip was broken an the pipe goes right round the back of the engine so fixed it with a cable tie ... worth a look

PS - what other cars use this engine I recall other cars in Peugeot lineup use this as well as BMW - is it the mini?

rcz22

Reaction score
Thanks all. Know to have grey smoke for how long and such low miles? I will drive next week, speed her up and see how it goes will do in the pm as bit warmer.
Thanks.

Ian J.

Reaction score
Cars need to be driven and whether it's a Peugeot or a Bentley they don't react well to being stood around and not being used
Ultra low mileage doesn't necessarily mean that its not going to have problems.
6 months ago I bought a 29k mileage 2015 car which had been SORN d . A few weeks after I bought it the timing chain needed replacement and I've still got a whining belt that is being dealt with next week..
But they are great cars and worth spending a few £ on.

Flanners

Reaction score
The THP seems prone to chucking out huge amounts of dense exhaust (water) vapour. Wouldn't leave a car on idle for an hour tbh, not doing it any good better to go for a proper drive.

rcz22

Reaction score
Thank you guy's. I will update when I've been out for a drive on a warmer day ie Wednesday, hopefully.

Pedro

Reaction score
All is well as long as its not blueish smoke as this would mean oil is getting past the Valve stem seals the greyish smoke could be the condensates exhausting from the Engine as its heating up mine was doing it on Wednesday going through the Mot whilst on its fast idle check because the car had been standing waiting for its turn on a ramp the other culprit is topping up the Oil above the normal range of usage which is a pointer to valve seal problems that is assuming you don't travel high mileages with work etc