What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

THP Fuel Economy

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Wondered how the fuel economy I've been getting from my 156 THP compared to others on here.

I've been averaging low 30s driving to work (14 miles each way, 2/3 motorway but often with traffic) and managed 38 on a trip to Bruges recently sitting at 70-80 with cruise control the whole way. Is this about right realistically? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for improving it?

Cheers!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
That's kind of similar to my mpg (GT200) I don't often get to do longer runs, but on the occasion I have, and used Cruise, I have managed over 40. Shorter runs, heavy on the right foot, it's gone below 30.
I would think the figures your returning are probably average for the 156.

Using Shell V Power Nitro seems to improve response and mpg, not sure if you are already using that, but that would be an option if not.

Then it's just all the usual, don't carry any extra weight in the car (crap in the boot, any extra tools and the like that you don't actually need on your trip).

If you really want to get the most mpg, short shift, keep revs out of the red, coast downhills and approaching lights/junctions, make sure tyres are correctly inflated, car is serviced regularly, etc etc.

But to be honest, other than the servicing & tyres advice, that's really not what the Z is all about.

When my car does what it does best, I'm more than happy to see the mpg well below 30 :auto-car: :law-policered:

A

Anonymous

DKZ5745 said:
That's kind of similar to my mpg (GT200) I don't often get to do longer runs, but on the occasion I have, and used Cruise, I have managed over 40. Shorter runs, heavy on the right foot, it's gone below 30.
I would think the figures your returning are probably average for the 156.

Using Shell V Power Nitro seems to improve response and mpg, not sure if you are already using that, but that would be an option if not.

Then it's just all the usual, don't carry any extra weight in the car (crap in the boot, any extra tools and the like that you don't actually need on your trip).

If you really want to get the most mpg, short shift, keep revs out of the red, coast downhills and approaching lights/junctions, make sure tyres are correctly inflated, car is serviced regularly, etc etc.

But to be honest, other than the servicing & tyres advice, that's really not what the Z is all about.

When my car does what it does best, I'm more than happy to see the mpg well below 30 :auto-car: :law-policered:

Forgot to mention I was using V Power Nitro on that longer drive. But to be fair, economy was probably reduced by the fact that there were 3 of us in the car (yup, someone actually agreed to go from the UK to Belgium in the back of a Z! :? )

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Did you offer to pay for the physiotherapy afterwards :eusa-whistle:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Reducing the need to break helps a lot. Keep a good distance from the car in front. It enables you to read the road and see what's happening further down the traffic in front of you. If you see cars braking further down the line, ease off the accelerator. All the traffic in front will all be on the brakes but you will probably be able to avoid this. I find this helps to keep economy up around 40mpg. Even in my R.

A

Anonymous

The other thing I find as well is that I get better fuel economy in mine by not using the cruise control.

Cheers
Nick

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Reducing the need to break helps a lot. Keep a good distance from the car in front. It enables you to read the road and see what's happening further down the traffic in front of you. If you see cars braking further down the line, ease off the accelerator. All the traffic in front will all be on the brakes but you will probably be able to avoid this. I find this helps to keep economy up around 40mpg. Even in my R.

Thanks, I sort of do this to some extent but will bear it in mind :)

Nexus said:
The other thing I find as well is that I get better fuel economy in mine by not using the cruise control.

Cheers
Nick
I've started to notice that as well but thought it was just me! Bit odd I think!

Either way, I can't wait to get my Z back - got a 1.2 208 courtesy car at the moment and it's making me realise just what a great car the Z is :mrgreen:

2retro

Reaction score
Yes, I find it good to drive a different 'lesser' car now and again as I see it as a palate cleanser to avoid complacency and remind me just how good the RCZ really is. :dance:

I get around 40mpg in my 156 according to the display. I travel short distances and have a heavy right foot so I think that's bloody good!

UK to Belgium in the back of one though?! :eek: It wasn't that girl from the Alton Towers ride was it? (Too soon?) ;)

A

Anonymous

2retro said:
Yes, I find it good to drive a different 'lesser' car now and again as I see it as a palate cleanser to avoid complacency and remind me just how good the RCZ really is. :dance:

I get around 40mpg in my 156 according to the display. I travel short distances and have a heavy right foot so I think that's bloody good!

UK to Belgium in the back of one though?! :eek: It wasn't that girl from the Alton Towers ride was it? (Too soon?) ;)

Ha, a friend of mine did say to me before we left 'nice motor, clearly the back seats are designed for people who have been on the Smiler'. Brutal.

40mpg is excellent, more like what I was hoping for really! But can't complain too much I guess :)

A

Anonymous

I was getting around 41mpg in my 156thp sport, swapped to Vmax power and now averaging 45mpg, I do 38 mile to work 50% motorway and 50% B roads and im not light footed

Tomas_90

Reaction score
I average about 42 MPG on just about every tank i drive, which consist of mostly 80-105 km/h speeds with the cruise control.

Best i've done is 48 MPG on a longer trip. (THP200)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Nexus said:

Cheers
Nick

That's odd, when I had me Megane CC I always used cruise control as it increased fuel economy massively, I think I got up to 10mpg more on a long run using cruise.

I haven't really tried it much in the Z, and when I have used it, I'm always overriding it and flooring the pedal as soon as there is space, so not really had much real feedback yet.

A

Anonymous

When we had our 156 we got average over the 15000 miles in it of 33 mpg , mostly town driving with occasional long journey , if on motorway regularly got over 40mpg.
Now have R and are averaging over first 2000 miles of 36 mpg with same type of driving ( and use V power). Did 160 mile motorway journey last night relatively quickly and averaged just over 41mpg, on the right stretches you barely have to touch the accelarator.