What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

The Unanswerable Question...

2retro

Reaction score
We've all, no doubt, experienced this many times in the past. It's incredibly infuriating and I see it nearly every day but I simply cannot for the life of me figure out why it happens! :eusa-think:

What is it you ask?

Picture the scene... there's 2 lanes of traffic to go straight on at the traffic lights. There's loads of cars in the left hand lane and just one on the right so you do the obvious thing and choose the right hand lane. The lights change and only then does the driver in front of you decide that's the time to let you now he's turning right by putting his bloody indicator on! You're then stuck behind the ass-hat while all the cars in the left hand lane go sailing by you... :brickwall:

Who does this??? And WHY?!

I mean are they trying to save the bulb or something?! Is it too much to ask that they let the person behind them know their intentions to turn in advance? Are they just incredibly ignorant/oblivious to others?

Also, is it just a UK thing or can our global forum members confirm this is a universal irritation?

It's a total mystery to me... so if anyone can offer any enlightenment to this I would love to hear it. :thumbup:

Nemi

Reaction score
At first i was confused but then i realized you are from UK and you drive on the left side of the road :roll:

It's a total mystery to me... so if anyone can offer any enlightenment to this I would love to hear it.
Maybe it was BMW driver in front of you? :wtf: But on the other hand, they don't show turn signals at all :eusa-think: Probably just a beginner BMW driver

2retro

Reaction score
Nemi said:
Maybe it was BMW driver in front of you? :wtf: But on the other hand, they don't show turn signals at all :eusa-think: Probably just a beginner BMW driver
That's true but, nope, it happens with many different makes of car...

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Tough week at the office Richard? :lol:

2retro

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
Tough week at the office Richard? :lol:
lol It's been bugging me for ages now but now I'm starting to think it only happens to me which would be even stranger! :wtf:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Sorry Richard, if I’d known it was you behind me I would have indicated earlier :eusa-whistle:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I find it also happens to me and as for the make of car, well they usually are 4 x 4's of a high pedigree.
I am convinced that they have a plate on the dashboard that reads " Indicator Use Optional ".

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Now my Dad, bless him, used to make me laugh when I was in the car with him and one of us got behind a slow driver or one that failed to use their indicators - he'd say " another SBD " confused I asked SBD ? what do you mean Dad?

His answer - " Should Be Dead " ie a very old person of little intelligence ....

Now I know this is very non PC but the biggest laugh - my Dad was an AOP at the time !! :helpme: :wtf: :shock:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You actually did well to get any kind of indication. It seems to be a dying art. Turning right, left, stopping, it doesn’t seem to matter anymore, people just seem to assume everyone else knows they were going to do it, so no need to advertise their intentions with vulgar flashy lights.

I have even seen learner drivers with the instructors next to them turning without indicating. Maybe we are all wrong & it’s them that are right, perhaps the latest Highway Code states somewhere indicators are no longer necessary :eusa-think:

I even indicate if there are no other cars about. You never know if someone is waiting for you to pass that you haven’t seen, or even just a pedestrian waiting for you. It costs nothing, it takes no time, why not do it :?:

I have noticed that the new Audi drivers that have paid extra for the fancy moving indicators seem to use them though :eusa-think:

So here’s a thought. Manufacturers should Quote a price for whatever new car, then say it’s a compulsory extra £500 for indicators, and maybe people will use them, just to get their money’s worth :crazy:

Lewligan

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I've had a ridiculous number of people nearly turning in to the side of me at roundabouts because the absolute empty headed clowns haven't bothered to indicate that they are turning right as opposed to going straight on.

Not sure why it's been happening so much this last few weeks.. I mean, you get the odd muppet, but I seem to be some sort of magnet for them at the moment.

First it was an old Punto, then a Range Rover, then a brand new Porsche Panamera (you'd think they'd be more careful).
Funniest thing is, the Panamera gave a dirty look and beeped, as if it was MY fault..?!?! :wtf:

Scary at times!

2retro

Reaction score
They seem to get brain fade when the sun's out for some reason. Pulling out/stopping/turning with no warning. :evil:

I guess you just can't educate pork! Be careful out there, people! :cool:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Well, actually, although Spain has had roundabouts (glorietas) for years, you would not believe it.
Positioning of those entering, going round or leaving, cannot ever be guaranteed to give a clue as to their intentions.
Oh, and there are the occasional surprises, like (we drive on the right, right) where someone turning left at a roundabout, er, goes the wrong way round the island to get a more direct route to their exit; I kid you not.
Come to sunny Spain for some whacky roundabout antics! :twisted:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
You get the same over here in Germany.

I think this is down to pure ignorance and selfishness of those people. Often it is pure stupidity as well.
In my opinion the roots of this kind of behavior lie deep in the way how those people have been ill-bred. It takes some effort to teach a kid to differentiate between your personal needs and the needs of a greater group. If the concept of "first me, then the others" is applied to all areas of life then a simple situation like you described can lead to a very selfish conclusion. In a way like, oh, I made a mistake, I need to turn left here. Oh, but I took the wrong lane. So what? Mistakes happen, all the others behind me will have to wait because of my choice to make mistakes and not taking any responsibility for it. And no one can blame for that! Cause making mistakes is so human-like, duh! So I will not even accept any kind of criticism here! I'm in the right (except for the lane :lol: )!

The other option here would be to take it around the block and try again in the turning lane. But maybe I'm just old school :greetings-wavingblue:

2retro

Reaction score
I just had to revisit this post to share some Earth-shattering news that I just gleaned from my 21 year old apprentice.

The answer has been there all the time but we were just to dumb to realise!

The reason she doesn't turn her indicators on until the lights change is...

Wait for it...

Because "The ticking sound is really loud and annoying".

Yes, really! :brickwall:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Co-pilot sometimes chirps up "you're still ticking!".
"yes dear, I have not completed the manoeuvre yet", says I. :roll:
"well it's been on a long time!"
I'm a bit mutt 'n' jeff, but rarely forget to cancel, so she's only being helpful, or is that "trying!".

wilsofar

Reaction score
Advanced Police drivers are some of the worst non indicators.

It is obviously in their manual that letting other people know where they are going gives too much information away!

Having been a chauffeur/private hire/taxi driver I will always signal a change of direction,and take extra care to signal in the dark -you never know if a pedestrian is lurking unseen.

I understand that the IAM dislikes unnecessary signalling if there are no other vehicles present -that's just sloppy thinking!

Courtesy and having consideration for others does not seem to come into their manual,and they consider signalling all the time as not thinking the traffic situation through.

You can't make a mistake if you always signal (correctly)!

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
wilsofar said:
Advanced Police drivers are some of the worst non indicators.

It is obviously in their manual that letting other people know where they are going gives too much information away!

Having been a chauffeur/private hire/taxi driver I will always signal a change of direction,and take extra care to signal in the dark -you never know if a pedestrian is lurking unseen.

I understand that the IAM dislikes unnecessary signalling if there are no other vehicles present -that's just sloppy thinking!

Courtesy and having consideration for others does not seem to come into their manual,and they consider signalling all the time as not thinking the traffic situation through.

You can't make a mistake if you always signal (correctly)!
Changed a bit since I took and passed, then!