What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

The R is out.

Claret63

Reaction score
Took the R out of hibernation today, first drive this year.

You really do forget how good the R is when you haven’t driven it for a while, it really is a superb all round package with the perfect set up in my opinion.

The grip and turning at speed almost defies physics, I honestly don’t think I will be ever brave enough to push it to the limit, also the eagerness of the engine to rev all the way to the red line is simply superb and it sounds so sweet.

I can’t believe how cheap these cars are considering what you get.

Kerr

Reaction score
270bhp is enough for the road. You won't get the acceleration figures of the modern 4wd cars with DCT boxes, but on tight twisty roads it would need to be a fast car to shake off an R. They stop and steer very well.

They are still underrated and unknown to many.

Flanners

Reaction score
Agree, I grabbed 30mins in mine last Saturday when it was actually dry and sunny (an unknown quantity in the UK for the last 7 months!) and enjoyed it amazing that a manufacturer made such a raw drivers car so recently imo; you don't need huge bhp to have fun, in fact I like (and always have) 2 seater low (er) powered analogue roadsters the best for rewarding drives.

Claret63

Reaction score
270bhp is enough for the road. You won't get the acceleration figures of the modern 4wd cars with DCT boxes, but on tight twisty roads it would need to be a fast car to shake off an R. They stop and steer very well.

They are still underrated and unknown to many.
The strength with the R for me is when on the move, I am not interested in acceleration from a standing start, as you say Kerr plenty with a DCT box will set of quicker from the line, the R has terrible torque steer for me of the line, so I don’t bother nailing it.

On the move it’s a very very capable car in my opinion, agree with the twisty road, yes it would take a fast car to shake off, but it’s not exactly a slouch on a motorway either, I like the fact you don’t need to drop a cog to accelerate at speed as the revs are already up and turbo is spinning.

Obviously the above is due to the ratios in the gearbox, that is what makes the R great when on the move for me, perfect.

Last edited:

Kerr

Reaction score
The strength with the R for me is when on the move, I am not interested in acceleration from a standing start, as you say Kerr plenty with a DCT box will set of quicker from the line, the R has terrible torque steer for me of the line, so I don’t bother nailing it.

On the move it’s a very very capable car in my opinion, agree with the twisty road, yes it would take a fast car to shake off, but it’s not exactly a slouch on a motorway either, I like the fact you don’t need to drop a cog to accelerate at speed as the revs are already up and turbo is spinning.

Obviously the above is due to the ratios in the gearbox, that is what makes the R great when on the move for me, perfect.

I don't think torque steer is that bad on the R. I think the car deals with the power very well. I do usually buy the best tyres.

The point the car does lose traction and both front wheels spin up coming out a corner is interesting. When you start going straight ahead it does wake you up a bit. Usually it puts the power down very well and it's a good sensation the way the LSD pulls the car out the corner.

People I take out in the R are surprised. It's the cornering speeds and the braking that surprises them.

I've been Blue stuff pads in and they are brilliant. I was a bit concerned they might need heat before they work as they are a track day pad, but they work well from cold. Once they are warm they are brilliant. They are better than the DS2500 I ran before.

Claret63

Reaction score
I don't think torque steer is that bad on the R. I think the car deals with the power very well. I do usually buy the best tyres.

The point the car does lose traction and both front wheels spin up coming out a corner is interesting. When you start going straight ahead it does wake you up a bit. Usually it puts the power down very well and it's a good sensation the way the LSD pulls the car out the corner.

People I take out in the R are surprised. It's the cornering speeds and the braking that surprises them.

I've been Blue stuff pads in and they are brilliant. I was a bit concerned they might need heat before they work as they are a track day pad, but they work well from cold. Once they are warm they are brilliant. They are better than the DS2500 I ran before.

I have no experience with the pad thing, I am still learning with the R, I am still trying to keep my foot on the accelerator when going through a corner, instead of backing off!

I absolutely hate the understeer on our TT Quattro don’t understand how the car is set up like that, I had a 90 Quattro back in the late 80s, I am sure it wasn’t as bad.

Today I had a slight moment where I kept the power on at speed through a corner on a very tight bend, and I felt the car was like a hook on the bend, but my instincts told me to back off, which I did.

I can’t remember which pads where put in last year along with disc and callipers, but my car is absolutely above braking wise in anything I have ever had.

Charlie1875

Reaction score
I don’t experience much torque steer on my R to be honest, agree that the brakes are superb, best thing about it though is the smile it puts on your face when driving it

Flanners

Reaction score
Got mine out again today as it was a nice afternoon....had a great drive. Washed her then discovered how good Turtle Wax Graphene Flex wax on the red is...wow.

Claret63

Reaction score
Went to work in the R today, great drive into Kendal.

I am definitely not driving this great car enough, I say this because with the R all the fun and power is high up the rev range, the R turns into a completely different car at speed.

My commute to the lakes is mainly motorway, the rolling acceleration at speed is simply superb, I am finding it almost impossible to just cruise like I do in our other cars.

Any published figures for the R don’t marry up in my view to the experience of driving one.

I really am now learning to drive this great car!