What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

The one that got away (with help).

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
We know we have a few wild critters that cause a bit of consternation, but most are out of sight and therefore, fortunately for the peace-of-mind of 'er-in-doors, not obviously nearby.
The other day, I had a bit of an oooo-errrr moment when getting a watering can to fill either a cat or dog water receptacle.
As I picked up the plastic vessel, its centre of gravity seemed to change, which felt really weird.
Peering into the watering can, I immediately, and surprisingly, identified the cause.
A baby Cadena (Horseshoe Whip) Snake had got in but the slippery sides of the plastic prevented it escaping.
It was less than a couple of foot long, so not adult which are three feet or more.
Much to someone's chagrin, I released the poor creature a little away from the house.
Cadena is, as far as I can tell, an informal name for them as the markings down their back looks like a chain; cadena in Spanish.
Our cleaner, who happened to be around at the time, opened her big gob and announced that the parents must be close and there would be more young.
That did not go down too well, so I had to resort to the pathetic defence of "what do you expect me to do?".
No answer, so let off the hook, even though I had let one go.
As some of you may have read in my previous WAFFLES, we have a selection of not too welcome creatures here, including three other types of snake and scorpion.
None of which would be life threatening, so I read, and the result of their attack no more uncomfortable than a bee sting.
Other insects are higher on the pain and distress level, notably, the Paper Wasp, which manages to cause me real pain once a year on average, and a bad tempered type of hornet that attacks when it thinks you are too close to its nest; this scary beast has been know to summon up its mates for a concerted attack and on one such occasion an oldie (who's talking) succumbed to the accumulated venom.
Most of the above can be avoided with care, but some ants are just the devil's work as they really are difficult to avoid and inflict small irritant bites with no provocation whatsoever.
Another critter, which has just turned up as it does at this time of the year is the Mammoth Wasp, the Lancaster of the insect world, and is unwelcome on two counts - it is pretty scary as it seems to whiz round at about knee level looking for dead tree trunks, of which we have many.
It is hunting the grubs of the Rhinoceros Beetle which is not exactly cuddly itself, but is sort of endangered and are fascinating creatures.
We see a few; those that have not been got at by the Mammoth Wasp that is.