What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Test drives

A

Anonymous

Hi guys and gals

I currently have a 59 plate octavia vrs and so am looking for a slightly more exotic body shape with similar performance...and the gt200 seems to meet this criteria..plus my missus likes the look of it which is always helpful.

but my dilema is no dealers in the north east seem to have thp200 engined model available for test drives. I would not really fancy putting up the money for a car I have never driven. Did any thp200 owners on here have this problem before they bought and if so how did they get round it!

A

Anonymous

I had this exact problem here in Swansea. No 200 to test drive. It took weeks to get hold of one but on the day of the test drive it was hammering down so i couldnt get a great feel for the car. I did find it a little bit of an harder drive than the 156.
In the end after doing 3 test drives in the GT156 i decided on that model, and for me it is well quick enough, it is still a firm drive but not as "hard" as the 200.
My previous car was an Astra Sri 140, this 156 RCZ is noticeably quicker 0-60. and has far more torque in higher gears.

A

Anonymous

Gingernick said:
I currently have an octavia vrs...and the gt200 seems to meet this criteria

You definitely NEED to have a Test Drive before you buy.

The main question to have in mind is whether you are prepared to give up the speed / fast pull offs / etc of the current car for the looks of the prospective new car.

I managed it - although still occassionally miss that ability to leave the crowd for dead :twisted:

As an absolute minimum, test one of the RCZ Models before you buy :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi there, :thumbup:
simple answer for you my previous car was a Mk5 Golf Gti and was superb,i now run a 200THP RCZ (sport),the RCZ has superior braking big 340mm up front,chassis is more developed on RCZ and is a real drivers car, low well spaced gearing better suited to RCZ as power band is on when changing gears and would match any GTI,but mid range to top end the Golf is slightly faster,but that should be rectified if or when a 210bhp is launched.
MY own opinion,i was sceptical of changing from Golf Gti to RCZ,but i will admitt the RCZ is superior :thumbup:
Hope that help's a little :shock:

RCZ1

Reaction score
I didn't have a test drive at all. I ordered before they were released. I've got the 156 engine and that gives me plenty of power for my needs. It my be worth looking at a few dealers further afield if you are dead set on testing the 200.
Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

dont know if its worth contacting peugoet uk directly and seeing if they can arrange something or at least give me some info wehre I can find a tester!

A

Anonymous

Well if it helps in any way, i didnt feel a remarkle difference in power between the 156 and the 200, but i did feel a difference in the actual overall feel of the car, the 200 in my opinion was a lot harder, every bump was felt, and both myself and my wife thought that the cabin noise was louder in the 200. We mentioned this to the sales guy and he commented that the 200 will feel "firmer and a little harder than the 156, and this may contribute to cabin noise".
I thought maybe the cabin noise was because they were running on different tyres ?
Also i didnt get to drive the 200 for more than half hour due to the awful weather at the the time.

A

Anonymous

I would definatly reccomend that you drive them both. I found the 156 quite slow, especially off the stops compared to even my diesel audi. The 200HP was a much better car, a lot faster with a firmer ride and much better cornering not to mention the brakes which are really powerful. The 0-60 maybe close on them but the mid range delivery is much much better on the 200. Best described as flying compared to the 156 which just sort of whines and the rev counter goes up and not a lot else!

The sports steering wheel also makes a big difference to the feel of the car.

The 200 is a little bit more of a drivers car whereas the 156 is a bit more refined and the diesel is a cruiser. I bought the 200 but will probably go diesel next time especially if they do a bigger engine. a 2.2 200hp would be perfect or even better a 4 wheel drive hybrid petrol. I would still have the sports pack on the diesel for the small steering wheel and beefed up suspension.

For me though the things that finished the car was having JBL, NG4 and nappa. It makes me smile everytime I get in it!!

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:
I would definatly reccomend that you drive them both. I found the 156 quite slow, Best described as flying compared to the 156 which just sort of whines and the rev counter goes up and not a lot else!

The 200 is a little bit more of a drivers car whereas the 156 is a bit more refined and the diesel is a cruiser.

I'm sorry but i totaly dissagree with your top comment about the 156 "just whines and revs" , i could hardly notice a difference in pulling away, maybe the 200 did have a slightly bit more pull around the 70 - 80 ish mark, but other than that i was left wanting a more out of the car and really wanted to notice that the extra 40bhp did make a difference, but i'm sorry it just did'nt, and it certainly did'nt warrant the extra £2000 or whatever it is !

I do however agree that the 156 feels a more refined drive as apposed to the hard drive in the 200.

It all depends what your looking for i guess, as for me pulling away from lights at speed and going into corners like Lewis Hamilton just does not appeal to me these days.

Obviously on paper and to someone else driving the 200, they may notice a difference, and will be happy paying the extra money, but for me, the diffence's, certainly in power were too close to call, well apart from the hardness and cabin noise of the 200, and that's just what i did NOT want.

A

Anonymous

I am well used to slightly stiff ride..and on paper the ovtavia VRS is less than half a second faster to 60 so there isnt much in it..power is near identical at around 200 horses

torque is roughly similar as well so I would expect them to feel pretty similar speed wise (at least at legal speeds) power delivery seems to come in low down with high torque available from below 2000 revs and both getting max power 5500-5800.

I just dont want to be losing out too much as I enjoy being a bit faster then the majority of road users, but without being daft..which is why I am looking at cars with similar power/figures

I simply dont need the big boot now or the back seats really, but still cannot bring myself to go the whole hog and get a 2 seater...I would prefer to have the option of a 2+2 if only for using rear sits as additional luggage space!

A

Anonymous

Jactac.......

Which is fine, you have expressed your opinion and I have expressed mine. It does not require you trying to convince me that me relaying my experience of conducting tests drives on all three versions is wrong. I respect the reasons you bought the version that you did. I felt that the version I bought did warrant the extra money as I would have been deeply dissatisfied with the 156.

People can read your comments and can read mine and draw there own conclusions. I am not trying to sell any particular model recommending that the potential buyer does drive all three. Please don't feel that I am belittling your choice. For the reasons you have stated it is a fine one for you.

I don't think the 200 is perfect either, it is still underpowered and slow off the blocks but it is a good compromise and has more nice touches that override it's shortcomings.

A

Anonymous

mr shiney...

Chill out m8, i'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that you made the wrong choice, quite frankly i dont care what anyone else buy's.
Or do you actually need convincing :eusa-whistle: ;)

The whole point of a forum is to express opinions and gather information.

I'm only interested in what i decide to do in life, not what other people do or buy, but if someone asks for an opinion, which is exactly what Gingernick, did then i'm sure he/she would like to read ALL opinions given to them. ITS A FORUM afterall, and like you i did have a few test drives, so like you i think i'm entitled to give an opinion.

Whether anyone takes our opinions onboard is another matter, i personaly dont care, but if it helps them out, then great, but at the end of the day at least it will let that person know that there ARE differences of opinions and that they need to explore All models for themselves, then decide what car, engine, spec ect ect is right for them.

Without opinions this site may as well close down tonight.

The choice you made was YOUR choice and the choice I made was mine, so that's fine !

I have given my reasons why i opted for the model that i did, and the reasons why i didnt opt for the 200 and i stick by those reasons.

You bought the 200 because you felt it a better engine, i thought there was no major difference in power and it was too hard a drive, simple, i don't have an issue with that .

I really do not have to convince myself i did the right thing in purchasing the 156, or apologise for giving my opinions when asked for them on the 156 compared to the 200.

Again, i agree the 200 does have it's faults, just as the 156 does, there are many threads on this site pointing out problems and faults on both models.
I'm also happy for you that you think the 200 does warrant the extra money, it would be a shame if you thought it did'nt, afterall you have already bought it havent you :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

Your post is way to long for me start picking holes in it. I shall merely point out that you have reworded what I said so clearly we must agree.

My opinion remains the same as does my advice.

A

Anonymous

Oh come on you can do better than that. Afterall you drive a 200 :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Oh come on you can do better than that. Afterall you drive a 200 :eusa-whistle:
K. have you missed one of your anger management classes again? I'll send you to the naughty step if you don't keep your attendance level up :beer:

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:
I would definately reccomend that you choose the DIESEL RCZ.
The 156 is not as good in my opinion

jactac said:
I'm sorry but i totally dissagree and say that the DIESEL RCZ is the only one to have.
The 200 is not as good in my opinion

Lads, lads.....Good Choice.
I wholeheartedly agree with you Both.....and if you'd have chosen Dolphin Blue...well :thumbup:

:auto-car:

:greetings-wavingblue:

A

Anonymous

:lol:

Gorwell you bad lad you, i've had a few cans but i'm sure i'd remember saying that !! :eusa-think: :beer:

A

Anonymous

sorry chaps, didn't mean to cause an argument

its like the diesel v petrol arguments on briskoda!

and don't even think about starting a colour argument..the race blue versus everybody else... :crazy: