What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Test Drive Coming Up (and some questions)

A

Anonymous

I've booked a test drive of an RCZ on Wednesday next while my 407 saloon is being serviced. Any thoughts on what I should be looking out for?
I'm almost sold on the RCZ even without the test drive - we can afford one, we rarely carry the grandchildren in the back of the 407, and the measurements of the RCZ boot indicate that it's almost the same size as the boot on the 407 saloon. If I've got to have another Peugeot (!) and the one with the ££ says it has to be a Peugeot then I'd rather have something with a bit of class.
I'm thinking of the GT with the diesel engine, I don't really care about the colour, although I'm tempted by the red.
I'd want the NG4 for its media centre capabilities, but I'd really like to move my Trafficmaster Satnav into the RCZ for its real time updates - any thoughts on that?
Any ideas on current delivery times?

A

Anonymous

nice choice of car. With the RCZ there is not much to worry about just enjoy it, drive it how you want to drive (to a point), what I found when I test drove my RCZ (I bought the one I drove) was that it was more how the car made you feel than anything else. If the car makes you feel like a million pounds (or in my head James Bond) then it is worth every penny. I would say this kind of car you will never buy with your head but with your heart which if it says you should buy it, then buy it.

I can't see anything wrong with moving your traffic master satnav into the RCZ and the traffic master satnav will work better than the NG4 system you are on about getting in the RCZ from what i have heard about it. (guessing the traffic master is a portable sat nav not built in)

lead times I am unsure of the lead times but if I recall last time I checked which was early this year it was roughly 3 months (i could be wrong) but probably best to ask the salesmen and he/she should give you an honest answer to that one.

A

Anonymous

Not sure were to start. "I'm almost sold on the RCZ even without the test drive - we can afford one," So from this I assume that you like what you? So you are more than half way to being an RCZ owner. I have never owned, driven or taken any notice of any Peugeot prior to the RCZ. I had a Vauxhall Astra TwinTop, it had every extra available and was a good looking economical car. I bought it new and liked it as I have any other new car.
However parking it alongside an RCZ at the Pug dealership it looked old and dated. I was at the stage that I think you are currently at right now. I had a short test drive around Scarborough returned to the dealership and then the salesman offered let my bestest have a test drive too. Well we had only gone along to take a closer look at a car that I had seen pass me on the road, that had taken my eye. It was a Sunday afternoon thing. Well the car returns. she gets out and exclaims "you must buy this" Any chance of price negotiation was gone!
But the handling and the look of the car inside and out along with the performance sealed the deal. This car comes with "the RCZ effect" dictionary definition of which is You cannot walk away from it without a backward glance. Some owners take to peering out of the windows to view the car on the driveway :thumbup:
The media system is a must for looks alone. Sports pack is very desirable (£350) smaller steering wheel and gear stick. Believe me once tried, you WILL want it. The vision pack is a great option too as it transforms the headlights and improves night time driving 10 fold. I have the 2.0 HDi GT and find power and performance more than adequate. My first RCZ averaged 51.7MPG whilst this one is running at 47MPG with 4500miles on the clock. So they are good on fuel. £160 Road Fund Licence (from memory)
This car feels as though it runs on rails. It handles like nothing I have ever driven. It is the most fun car that I have ever owned. The best looking car on the road by far and you must buy it in Pearl White because that is the colour of choice :beer: the RCZ looks amazing, however in Pearl White it just seems to take on that extra dimension. The pearlescent simply glistens off the cars curves. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

:O Ron, are you from Scarborough? Whereabouts?!

Back on topic:

Petrol vs Diesel If youre doing lots of short trips, you may be better with a petrol engine, as you may get problems with the particulate filter on diesel engines which are famous for clogging up and costing a fortune! Between the petrol, the 200hp provides a bit more power over the 156bhp engine, and also comes with firmer shocks and larger wheels as well as uprated brakes. However if you like a smooth soft ride beware that the larger wheels and shocks will let you feel every bump in the road!

Colour, i have pearl white, it was either that or the Black, but white just looks awesome, especially in contrast with black wheels. Purely personnel choice.

Sports pack I may be wrong, but im under the impression if you get the GT you automatically get the sports pack? If i am wrong, get it, the smaller steering wheel etc is much better as well as more aesthetically pleasing!

Full leather interior something i wish i hadnt wasted my money on, very hard to tell the difference in models with or without.

Carbon roof if this replaced the standard roof i would have bought it immediatley, it doesnt, it fits on top. So extra looks vs a bit more weight and £1k. The choice is yours!

Black mirrors/grill completely personnel preference, i prefered mine without

Vision pack Must have, adaptive lighting and xenon lights as well as a tyre pressure sensor. really improves night time driving (obviously not the tyre pressure sensor)!

Onboard WiFi Not worth it, its basically a usb dongle in the boot, bad reception because of its location and unless youre driving in areas of strong signal, doesnt provide what it should.

JBL Sound Pack I have this, the quality is very good, but may require refitting. the issue it has is you get a lot of vibration from the door panel due to bad fitting, which stops you playing it loudly (if you even want to)!

Twin exhaust - looks good, provides no additional benefits, power etc.

Feline stickers - purely aesthetics, boy racer or not boy racer, that is the question?!

NG4 Media Centre Firstly, it really improves the looks of the interior, the media capability of the Sat Nav system isnt the best at the moment, although I think we are all hoping for a software update that should resolve some of the issues (this is hoping, there has been no indication that one is coming). I'll quickly cover the parts that are incorporated in the NG4:

Parking display- the parking sensor/display front and back is invaluable, im fairly tall (6'3") and have trouble seeing what clearance I have.

Music interface - the radio is great and no dramas with finding, storing stations etc.
Bluetooth - works great with the phone, clear, easy to talk and hear hands free etc. Only gripe is it doesnt support media streaming from iPhone 4s, I believe the non satnav version does.
Jukebox - 10gb storage, i have slight issues as to its user friendliness, it wont search by artist/album etc, and really in this day and age it should. Only plays by playlist and has to be MP3a format. It really should recognise others such as AAC (itunes) etc. its a pian in the ass at first, but works fine once you have it all sorted, less the play by album/artist issue.
Sat Nav - works great, easy to use and understand, only issues are it is set up for european postcodes, not UK, so you can only enter the first 5 chars. In addition it has no speed camera POIs, leaving you to try and download them from French websites.
video display - lets you watch films in traffic jams or when parked or queueing if you really want to. size is small but clear, however can only be watched whilst stationary. If you switch the engine off, the car goes into economy mode after 15 mins, which will turn the media centre off!

Everything else is pretty much bog standard on whatever the car you go for. It isnt the fastest car in the world, but it is amazing to look at, fairly reliable (especially for a peugeot) and has good mpg and storage space.

Hope this is of some use to you.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all your thoughts - you are confirming my impressions of the RCZ as being a great choice.

(BTW The Trafficmaster satnav is a hard-wired GPS / Satnav / Safety Camera alert / Tracker / with the capability to receive mobile phone calls, and to contact their control centre for assistance - all at a moderately hefty annual subscription. It was a 'deal' we got with our last but one Peugeot (a 407SW), so it is movable. It would supplement the NG4 - particulalry for the camera alerts, which are invaluable!)

A

Anonymous

mines a gt ,no sport pack but has the vision pack ie- directional xenons and tyre sensors.its in amber red,best colour check it out on the forum, quad exaust a must. now done 21,000 trouble free miles and averages 55mpg.

A

Anonymous

Bee the last couple of lines of my reply was written tongue well and truly in cheek and with you in mind. bee happy bzzz

A

Anonymous

yes just 1 piece of advice try looking for an extremely low mileage demonstator with ie 3-6k miles on it these will be full of extras you want or dont need but will save up to £8k over a new 1.i have seen a 156gt 11 plate 4k miles, satnav, pearl paint, vision pack for £19,999 now thats a bargain :thumbup: and there plenty others on the internet diesels,156gt,200gt's.................shop about basicly :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
yes just 1 piece of advice try looking for an extremely low mileage demonstator with ie 3-6k miles on it these will be full of extras you want or dont need but will save up to £8k over a new 1.i have seen a 156gt 11 plate 4k miles, satnav, pearl paint, vision pack for £19,999 now thats a bargain :thumbup: and there plenty others on the internet diesels,156gt,200gt's.................shop about basicly :thumbup:

uncle arnold clarck are selling brand new 163 fap gt for £21,000

A

Anonymous

Well we had an hour in a diesel GT (in charcoal) yesterday morning, thanks to Robins & Day - of Narborough Rd Leicester.
I took it up some really rubbish surfaced country lanes, along a main commuter A road, The M1 between junctions 21A & 21 then along the first stretch of (the very quiet) M69, back up to the dealer via a long fastish A road.
First impressions were that it seemed lower than it actually was - my wife is awaiting a knee repalcement and found it really easy to get in out out of; the cabin is very comfortable, and rather like a cocoon without being claustrophobic. The controls are pretty much bog-standard Pug.
On the lane with the poor surface it felt 'tight' - much more comforting than my 407 which 'wallows' on this bit of road. Turning right out of this lane onto another busier bit of road, I accidentally gave it a bit of welly on the turn, and it grabbed the road, just as my buttocks were clenching. Very reassuring.
On the comuter route in traffic it poddled along happily at 20 - 30 without argument.
On the motorway the car came into its own - very easy overtaking in 5th, and extremely good visibility - again probably better rear quarter visibility than my 407. The mirrors are very good. There was a 'goodness me' moment when I realised I was doing 90+ without trying. The road noise (from the back?) is a lot harsher than I'm used to, but the engine is very quiet (I don't think this had the Sport Pack), and there was no significant wind noise. For some reason the Cruise Control feels smoother when adjusting the speed on the RCZ. I found the gear change indicator a bit stalinist, but I guess I will come to accept / ignore it.
I didn't try parellel parking it, but reversing it in the dealers car park up to a wall showed how well the reversing sensors appeared on the standard display.
The boot is longer, and wider than that on the 407 saloon, but not as deep/tall. The rear seats are not intended for humans as far as I can see. I didn't try wedging myself in the back, but we would only occasionally put a couple of grandchildren in there anyway (or they could fit in the boot).
I think I've talked my self into joining the RCZ owners club, and am waiting till the middle of Decmber (personal cooling off time). I will probably go for Dolfijn Blue (but the charcoal was nice) - I am having a Diesel GT but I'm really undecided about the NG4 unit - I want it, but can I justify it?

A

Anonymous

Please do justify the NG4 or you will kick yourself for evermore if you do not. It transforms the internal appearance immeasurably. You are probably aware that the door mirrors wwill dip on selection of reverse gear to aid you when parallel parking. Good honest review though.