What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tensioner

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yes you can, but I think it’s always advised to change the full kit, if the tensioner are worn, there is every chance your chain could have stretched, and even a slight amount could make a difference 🤔

Steve 1962

Reaction score
Cheers no probs yet with either just trying to be pro active but if there is a updated tensioner maybe I should fit ? 25000 miles 12 plate

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I don’t think there is a major need to second guess the tensioner. From what I’ve read here, you will know when/if it starts slipping, the dreaded tractor rattle on start up.
Once this starts, that’s the time to look to replace the lot. The new parts are an updated version, so in theory, that will be the first and last time they need replacing.
The phase II RCZ’s 2013 onwards (facelift models) had the updated parts fitted from new, and there have been very few cases of their tensioner failing.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! But if your car hasn’t had a chain and tensioner kit then it will need one eventually when? Who knows but most MK1 cars needed replacement pretty early mine at 17K but I’ve heard of cars under 10k having to be replaced! And as for MK 2 cars I know of one R owner who have had two chains replaced under warranty.
The key is to use the best quality 0-30w oil and keep the level on max.