What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Tail light internal LED issue.

A

Anonymous

Hello all!

Just off the phone to my garage (MOT time) and they've informed me the cars failed it's MOT because the led strip within the tail light unit isn't working. They've tried to find the fault but can't so are going to order me a whole new tail light unit at £550!

First question is do the led lights really constitute a fail? I'm under the impression it's not but hearing conflicting stories.

....and as this is a 2011 build I'm the second owner, bought in 2016, I took out an extra warranty to cover breakdown/faulty parts. Having read some of the comments regarding other LED light issues do you think I stand any chance with having this covered in the warranty or will they argue wear and tear?

There's no way to insert new LED Lights as far as I can see unless anyone knows different?

Cheers in advance!

renegade79

Reaction score
Peugeot Ireland wouldn’t cover my faulty breaklight one year out of warranty. I reckon you’ll get the same response but it’s worth a shot!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the warranty will not cover “consumable” parts which will include the likes of brake pads, bulbs (including led’s) etc.

As for mot failure, I once had a car fail because of a lighting feature that didn’t work (something to do with lights staying on or going off (I can’t actually remember) when the ignition was turned off. The point being, if the car has some lighting feature, it has to work to pass the mot.
If as you say the led strip is integral, I seem to remember having looked at mine that this is correct, then it will mean replacing the entire unit.

Have you checked EBay, there are often RCZ’s breaking on there, & it’s possible you might find a cheaper replacement there.

ianGT156

Reaction score
Hi Caledonianrcz,

I think the wiring/electronics guru Plecodoras would be worth asking. He swaps bumpers and whole electronic gizmos before breakfast.

Ian

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Just a quick thought, you haven’t replaced the brake light bulb with an led have you?

As explained in another thread, I recently had issues when trying to replace my brake light bulb with an led that was “canbus” only, it wouldn’t work with my car - when I had it in, my led strip didn’t work. When I swapped it for a replacement the led strip was dim and flashed, so I gave up & went back to a normal replacement bulb. LED’s now working ok again.

Swapping brake light bulbs is a bit cheaper than swapping the entire unit - worth a try.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
DKZ is correct in what he says about the back lights, especially in Peugeots. For some crazy reason they have weard and wonderful ideas where it comes to electronics in this area.

( Ian GT156 thanks for the encouragement :thumbup: )

For example,

in my old 307 if a number plate light failed and as normal there were two one either side, then just to aid the driver the corresponding rear light would also not work !! WTF I hear you say, but I kid you not. So you could be driving around with no outside rear lights because yes the bloody right hand side number plate light had failed, and this was meant to "help" you in determinating a fault.

I don't think the friendly copper ( mmmm ! ) believed my knowledge on the 307 but luckily all I got was a lady medusa!

Unfortunately despite Ian's kind words, I have no familiarity with the rear led light cluster, if the unit is sealed like a resin block, then there is no chance of repair. If the unit can be split, depending on what type of led has been used and the methodology used, there is a slim chance you could repair. Put it this way for £550 I'd be exploring the repair first.
But ultimately, second choice would be DKZ's and sourcing a secondhand unit from fleabay.

Unfortunately, for all of us who own a rcz, manufacturers see that there is little chance of a profit to produce pattern parts due to the low numbers involved, so we are at the mercy of Peugeot.

Hope you get it fixed, and keep the thread updated for everyone else and any member who succumbs to the same fate.

:beer:

rczgod

Reaction score
Hello all!

Just off the phone to my garage (MOT time) and they've informed me the cars failed it's MOT because the led strip within the tail light unit isn't working. They've tried to find the fault but can't so are going to order me a whole new tail light unit at £550!

First question is do the led lights really constitute a fail? I'm under the impression it's not but hearing conflicting stories.

....and as this is a 2011 build I'm the second owner, bought in 2016, I took out an extra warranty to cover breakdown/faulty parts. Having read some of the comments regarding other LED light issues do you think I stand any chance with having this covered in the warranty or will they argue wear and tear?

There's no way to insert new LED Lights as far as I can see unless anyone knows different?

Cheers in advance!
I had same problem on n/s
It was brake light bulb