What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Suspicious car....

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Bit of a story here...I've been looking for an RCZ for a few weeks, really absorbing everything about them, what quirks and features they have, the possible issues etc.

I focused on one in particular that was priced reasonably low and looked ok on the face of it. The one thing that stood out though was that the owner stated it had an engine change due to what the owner says was an oil leak and the engine seized.

Now my personal view is, normally as soon as I hear that, I'm out. But, knowing the issues these 1.6T engines can have, I was willing to continue finding out more and lets just say, I did.

I got a pre-purchase inspection and the report came back that the car is 'not-recommended' considering the list of issues found, stating it was only suitable as a restoration project.

One of the major things found was that there was a number of places with accident repairs carried out, albeit poorly, with overspray and paint runs quite evident.

This got me thinking...with the engine being changed and several areas of accident repair, perhaps the story about an oil leak wasn't true at all, and that it was in a significant front end accident that required a new front and engine.

So following that line of thinking, this is where I need some opinions because after comparing multiple RCZ's to this one, I can see several interior parts that appear to have come from a 308 and are not in fact RCZ specific where they should be.

Firstly, in the car in question, it has a steering wheel that looks to me like its from a 308. If you look closely to the first pic, you can see there is no 'RCZ' embossed in the lower metal accent, and there are metal accents in the thumb recess areas that are not present in an RCZ steering wheel (see second pic). Conclusion? The airbag was deployed in an accident and since the 308 is very similar interior wise, they simply sourced a 308 steering wheel for the replacement.

RCZ - steering wheel 1.jpg RCZ - steering wheel 2.jpg

Secondly, in the instrument cluster of an RCZ there is that central screen which is a particular width. In the car in question, you can see the central screen is actually half the width (first pic) compared to the cluster screen in every other RCZ (second pic). Conclusion? After the accident, they replaced the instrument cluster with one from a 308.

RCZ - cluster 1.jpg RCZ - cluster 2.jpg

The question I have for the experts is, am I right that the parts I'm pointing out are in fact from a 308?

Flanners

Reaction score
it sounds like a POS? surely you're not even contemplating purchasing it? would not waste anymore time or money on it.........

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
it sounds like a POS? surely you're not even contemplating purchasing it? would not waste anymore time or money on it.........
Not at all. At this point, I'm just satisfying my own curiousity

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Small screen is auto afaik, the wheel is just spec thing isn't it?

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's one for sale in the UK

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
First of all the first steering wheel is an RCZs and so is the 2nd photo of the steering wheel as the standard one and the other is a gt steering wheel and that's the one with chrome only at the bottom and says RCZ.....
As for the clocks large centre one is if sat nav fitted and the other is the one without all are standard no mix and match...
Hope this helps you out
Drive safe and stay lucky
Les n Co

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Small screen is auto afaik, the wheel is just spec thing isn't it?
That might be true in the UK that the smaller screen is there in a certain version but that doesn't look to be the case in Australia, as every RCZ I compared it to is an auto and they all had the bigger screen in the cluster except his.
Australia doesn't always get every model variant or options that other markets get, so seeing the smaller screen in the UK wouldn't be something unusual.

I still think the reason for the small screen in this one I'm asking about, is because it's from a 308.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
First of all the first steering wheel is an RCZs and so is the 2nd photo of the steering wheel as the standard one and the other is a gt steering wheel and that's the one with chrome only at the bottom and says RCZ.....
As for the clocks large centre one is if sat nav fitted and the other is the one without all are standard no mix and match...
Hope this helps you out
Drive safe and stay lucky
Les n Co
Thanks mate. You might be right about the steering wheels but the center screen in the cluster isn't quite right. Here are interiors from two 1.6T autos in Australia right now, one with satnav and one without, both have the large center screen.

RCZ - satnav fitted.jpg

RCZ - satnav not fitted.jpg

lfe

Reaction score
Maybe they changed it, cars with navigation and a big screen, have a round navigation button on the center console near the spoiler button.

If it doesn't have it, it's because they changed the small screen for the big one.

Pedro

Reaction score
Mines a 2013 Sport & its has a flip screen with side controls but no console button & it may be the case there are no extra plug in sockets in the dash on the fixed screen unit for the extra buttons ?