What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Suspension coil replacement

stig rotax

Reaction score
I will shortly put a procedure in here to help those who have to, or want to replace their coils/springs. They can break due to material wear and at the latest need replacing when it comes to inspection time. Best to do both sides of the same axle. As said, a procedure will follow soon.

Larryb

Reaction score
Hi just had mine break front driver side. Hell of a bang when it happened , grinding noise then damaged the tyre. Wondered what the hell it was! I was only travelling slowly and was planning to travel on the motorway so could have been a lot worse.
It had been changed 2 years ago 5000 miles only
So as you stated normally checked on mot but mine not due for 2 months. Unlucky maybe but still abit of a concern and for all you out there be careful.
Interested in your thoughts on quality and preferential manufactures. The original Peugeot springs lasted 10 years, unsure who makes those though.

stig rotax

Reaction score
That was a lucky break that you weren‘t on the motorway. Somebody was taking care of you up there :).

The Saab 9-3 had this problem and it was a serious one as you never knew when the coils were going to snap. It can be dangerous as you found out, ripping the tyre to shreds. Bearing this in mind and Saab‘s reputation, I opted for a renown manufacturer for my Peugeot as opposed for a cheapy and bought it from a parts dealer rather than via internet. Using Peugeot as a dealer „should“ be good enough.

Why does this happen in the first place? There is more than likely a relationship between the spring and suspension strut and how much stress the spring has to deal with. Bad quallty means trouble.

I opted not to lower the car even though internet searches took me straight to suspension lowering. The inspection here is bi-annual so we have to rely on the quality of the parts we get and also think twice about changing the configuration of the car. I would have had to go through paperwork and acceptance tests plus the costs of getting it all done.

However, back to your question. You are quite right to query the quality of parts. Let‘s see what the others think.

Oh yes. I did the job but have to check it all again as one side is rattling now. I also had the joy of the bonnet cable loosening itself so can’t open the bonnet. Now I have to take the underside apart to get to the catch. Wonderful! Never a dull moment. When I think our little 206+ has never had these faults …..

Bye for now
Paul

Pedro

Reaction score
On the Z you should always change the top mount's with the springs as it makes life easier