What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Strange metal "Grinding" Noise

A

Anonymous

Hello all,

After getting my rcz serviced by a dealer - to weeks later when driving, breaking or moving off from hills i get a metal grinding noise - took it back to the service center they wanted to charge me a small fortune just to take a look!

After i made a big song and dance about their service to their ceo - they finally agreed to look for free!

Thy came back with - "We know there is a noise - we can hear the noise - but we cannot locate this noise!".

This is driving me up the wall - up until i took it for servicing everything was fine with he car.

I want to take it to an independent garage - as i will get them to pay for any repairs - but before i get ripped off by another garage (Already been to 4 and they all wanted over £1k to fix - even though they don't know whats wrong with it!)

All the usual has been checked - brake pads, rotors etc... all fine...but problem still presists!
Can anyone help me with this - has anyone experienced this?

My rcz is very well taken care off and only has 11k miles - at this stage should not have any problems.

Please help before the problem escalates to a more expensive repairs in the future - the service center has told me to ignore the noise - but i cant as they are happening more frequently and wouldn't want anything else to fail while driving!

Many thanks for any input!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi sorry to hear your having problems with your brakes :thumbdown: where do you think the noise is coming from? Front or rear one side or both?
There have been some posts a while ago relating to a noise when hill starting but you say just driving you get this noise?
I once had a squealing intermittent noise from my rear brakes and all it was was a sticking pad! Where the pads fit into the rear calipers can corrode and it stops the proper movement of the pads. If this is the case just clean up and a new set of pads will sort it.
If a pad has been sticking the disc may have heated up this can be possible to identify by the edge of the disc being a red colour rather than the normal rusty brown.
Hope this helps.
Keep us informed of how you get on :beer:

tianorth

Reaction score
Re: Strange metal "Grinding" Noise

Is it possible to give us an idea of the noise, to record it?
I take it the noise only happens when you are moving, so in theory can be 1 or more of four corners.
Put the audio clip on somewhere like youtube and post the link.

Daft question have the springs been checked for a snapped one?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

The noise is coming more i would say the front/rear driver side, and happens when its moving or when i'm moving off!

According to the "experts" I took it to my brake pads have been checked and apparently still new! So nothing wrong there! (So they say!). Bearings have been checked so no issues there either.

I have no idea about cars - I'm a lone female and when i make any suggestions (that i have researched online) it quickly gets dismissed and they just want to sell me an expensive repair i can barely afford!

I will try to find the closest noise possible on YouTube - but its very hard to catch the noise while driving as its intermittent.
Best way to describe the noise is metal on metal grinding against each other.

Really seems that I will need to fork out some money - but I will have to go with a male member of the family - if anyone knows a good mechanic in London area that won't rip me off please let me know.

Many thanks.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Your brake pads may still have as much material left on them to be like new but if they’re sticking in the calliper they can make a similar noise when I replaced the rear pads on my car I had to file metal down on the pad backing plate so it moved in the calliper,this movement is slight but is important to make sure the pads don’t stick.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Having heard the noise on your link, I think you may be experiencing the same issue that I had.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10564&hilit=+Flywheel

My entire clutch assembly was replaced under my extended warranty completely free of charge (should have been @£1600)

I experienced the noise mainly when setting off from a standing start, although it was intermittent it did seem to be increasing in frequency, and it had started to do it quite often when moving off in reverse. The service manager said his wife’s 308 occasionally did the same.

I haven’t had the noise (touch wood) since.

Maybe you should show your dealer the above thread, I certainly don’t seem to be the only one who has experienced this.

howardf

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Having heard the noise on your link, I think you may be experiencing the same issue that I had.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10564&hilit=+Flywheel

My entire clutch assembly was replaced under my extended warranty completely free of charge (should have been @£1600)

I experienced the noise mainly when setting off from a standing start, although it was intermittent it did seem to be increasing in frequency, and it had started to do it quite often when moving off in reverse. The service manager said his wife’s 308 occasionally did the same.

I haven’t had the noise (touch wood) since.

Maybe you should show your dealer the above thread, I certainly don’t seem to be the only one who has experienced this.

My Rcz is going in next week for what may be the same issue as DKZ5745's.
My noise is only when setting off and is not the hill assist.

:eusa-think:

howardf

Reaction score
My RCZ went into the dealers on Tuesday to investigate the noise.
Had a call from them on Friday to say it needs a full new clutch and flywheel, so it appears it is the same fault as Petes.

All will be covered by the Peugeot warranty, only trouble is the parts are on a minimum 2 week back order
So in a basic 308 diesel courtesy car

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Howardf,

though the parts are on 2 week back order, pleased to hear that your issue has been found and that it will be covered under the terms of your warranty.
So bummer gotta wait but hey it's all covered :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hope this cures it and it'll keep your clutch good for another 4 / 5 years !!
Cheers

howardf

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Howardf,

though the parts are on 2 week back order, pleased to hear that your issue has been found and that it will be covered under the terms of your warranty.
So bummer gotta wait but hey it's all covered :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hope this cures it and it'll keep your clutch good for another 4 / 5 years !!
Cheers

Yes in the grand scheme of things the wait isn't an issue, like you say it makes the clutch good for a good few years once replaced :thumbup:
Looks like it is becoming an issue with the Rcz,s, can't believe Peugeot would be paying if they didnt have to! Fair play to the dealership though for sorting it (hopefully).

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Hmmm, the service manager at Evans Halshaw Wakefield told me his wife’s 308 does it on occasion too, so it does seem that it’s some sort of issue that they are aware of.

As I posted, the dealership said they found no damage on any of the parts they removed from my car, but they replaced them all, including the clutch plate, under warranty.

It is a bit of a strange one. :eusa-think:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Well something that we all need to look out for, but hey thankful that this has been covered on the Forum, and just goes to show the usefulness of the site, that as more members post issues, we all become aware.
Just feel sorry for the RCZ drivers who for whatever reason don't know about or care about the forum, that they are driving Z's around with issues that they have probably been fobbed off with, which could have been resolved if only they were educated by the Forum.

In short a big thumbs up to the forum ... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers...

A

Anonymous

Thank you all.

I have taken it to a highly recommended reputable mechanic and it was determined that the cause of the noise is definitely the clutch, which will need to get replaced.

My car was perfect before the servicing and i now will have to get the service center to pay for it...at only 11k miles there really shouldn't be problems like this.

Many Thanks All!

howardf

Reaction score
I collected mine from the dealership today, they tell me they have changed the clutch, slave cylinder and dual mass flywheel, all under warranty. They said the technician had spent 10 hours labour on it !

It felt a little bit "different" which may be down to me now being used to the 308diesel and there was a bit of a smell of burning oil which I hoping is some spilt fluid getting hot.
Only driven it a few miles so fingers crossed all is ok.
Good look with yours .....iH