What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Strange issue with Door Window drop

stagger321

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2014 'R', and been having intermittent issues with the window drop when opening/closing my Driver side door.
On occasion it does not work, meaning I have to slam the door to close it fully - not ideal and a little worrying.
Its been cold and frosty on previous mornings, and I had put it down to that - but now I'm not so sure.
Note: it does not happen just when there's frost on the car, and the normal window lower/raise works fine.

I have 6 weeks standard warranty left on the car and have raised a ticket with my local dealer. Trouble is when I was due to take it in last Friday it was working fine, and the mechanic understandably said he needed to see it broke to diagnose.

I have heard of gremlins/damp in the boot lock mech than can cause this and many other reasons, but in my case I am not after a possible cause, I want to nail it so I can def tell the mechanic the reason - if possible.
Ideally, as I have the warranty I want to get the garage to fix, so I do not want a DIY fix at this point, in case there are later related issues.

I have a OBD2 wifi adaptor (passive reader - not writer/resetter) I can plug into the diag port. Does anyone know if any codes from a faulty window drop can be picked up by these and into an android app, or are these mainly for engine codes and the like (which is what I orig bought it for - on my prev car)?

Ta :)

thornebt

Reaction score
Hi Stagger. You say that the mechanic understandably needs to see the fault to diagnose it. But you have told him what the fault is and that it is intermittent so shouldn't that be good enough for him? He should be able to investigate what might be causing the fault - you would think that there wouldn't be too many parts that could be causing it.

However, I guess that as you have raised the fault whilst it is still in warranty then it should also be covered outside of the warraty period.

Cheers. Bruce.

stagger321

Reaction score
thornebt said:
Hi Stagger. You say that the mechanic understandably needs to see the fault to diagnose it. But you have told him what the fault is and that it is intermittent so shouldn't that be good enough for him? He should be able to investigate what might be causing the fault - you would think that there wouldn't be too many parts that could be causing it.

However, I guess that as you have raised the fault whilst it is still in warranty then it should also be covered outside of the warraty period.

Cheers. Bruce.
OK, fair comment Bruce.
I agree they SHOULD be able to diagnose and maybe I was being too generous to the chief Mech I spoke to.
But intermittent electrical faults are notoriously difficult to diagnose, unless its bleeding obvious.
So in my case I am happy to help with the diagnosis if it doesn't mean taking anything apart (at this point).
Ideally I'd want it to fail first thing in the morning when I am working from home, so I can nip straight down the garage, but its not been that accommodating thus far.

thornebt

Reaction score
Hi Stagger. Perhaps you could use your phone to provide video evidence to show the mechanic. Cheers. Bruce.

stagger321

Reaction score
Yes, I thought of that, but he wants to prod around when it's broke. He knows that this can happen and has seen it before, but said he needs the car broke to be able to diagnose. He has agreed to leave the ticket at this point.
I can vid yes, but it would be even more useful if my OBD2 could throw an error. As others have seen this type of error can even eminate from a damp boot lock, which is nothing near the front door.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Does it occur on both sides? Or only the driver's side?
Have you or the Mech checked the door handle inside the car? I mean the chrome part you pull to open the doors. Because this is giving a signal to the electronics to lower and rise the window. I'd start there.

drdino

Reaction score
No errors that would be readable using a genetic obd2 reader unfortunately.

tianorth

Reaction score
Make sure you record the faults with Peugeot HQ customer service stating your warranty is coming to an end but fault prior to it coming to end so if happens after warranty expires they can still look at it.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think I read some time ago of someone on here with similar isssues, and it turned out to be water ingress in the boot lock. It doesn't mean of course you have the same cause, as someone pointed out earlier, it could be any number of things, but as it appears to have been a known cause previously, it has to be maybe a starting point, or at least worth investigation.

stagger321

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Does it occur on both sides? Or only the driver's side?
Have you or the Mech checked the door handle inside the car? I mean the chrome part you pull to open the doors. Because this is giving a signal to the electronics to lower and rise the window. I'd start there.
Just on driver's side. Issue apparent inside and out. Mech not checked anything thus far.

stagger321

Reaction score
tianorth said:
Make sure you record the faults with Peugeot HQ customer service stating your warranty is coming to an end but fault prior to it coming to end so if happens after warranty expires they can still look at it.
Good advice mate. Will do. Ta

stagger321

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I think I read some time ago of someone on here with similar isssues, and it turned out to be water ingress in the boot lock. It doesn't mean of course you have the same cause, as someone pointed out earlier, it could be any number of things, but as it appears to have been a known cause previously, it has to be maybe a starting point, or at least worth investigation.
Yeah, I read that too. I'll mention it when I see mech.