What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Still deliberating...

A

Anonymous

Hi folks,

Currently driving a Citroen DS3 DSport THP 155, but very tempted by a RCZ - most likely a diesel, as I'm reluctant to risk another THP until PSA sorts out the THP's chronic power loss problems...

Low_Rider

Reaction score
What "THP's chronic power loss problems" are you mea?

I have no ideia of that, and like to know :eek:

A

Anonymous

gar074 said:
Hi folks,

Currently driving a Citroen DS3 DSport THP 155, but very tempted by a RCZ - most likely a diesel, as I'm reluctant to risk another THP until PSA sorts out the THP's chronic power loss problems...

Great looking cars, the ds3 but not in the same league when it comes to the "wow factor" of the rcz.

A

Anonymous

Low_Rider said:
What "THP's chronic power loss problems" are you mea?

I have no ideia of that, and like to know :eek:

There are several posts on here in the technical section about this, and loads on the Mini & DS3 forums (and on the forums for other Peugeots that use the the THP engine).

There are several issues with the THP/Prince engine. The timing chain / chain tensioner problem is the chief problem - the tensioners fail, causing the timing to go AWOL resulting in intermittent limp home mode and consequent dramatic power loss. Fuel pumps are also prone to problems. The PCV pipe leaks oil into the air intake, which causes the valves to stick. And on my DS3, the entire VVT unit had to be replaced after 18k miles. It's a great engine when it's working properly, but a right b*tch when it goes wrong. The warranty is your friend - but I wouldn't run a THP-engined car out of warranty!

A

Anonymous

cb00ppm said:
Great looking cars, the ds3 but not in the same league when it comes to the "wow factor" of the rcz.

I'm sure you're right, although the RCZ needs a wider colour range imo (my DS3's yellow & black, so it sure as hell gets noticed!)

A

Anonymous

gar074 said:
cb00ppm said:

I'm sure you're right, although the RCZ needs a wider colour range imo (my DS3's yellow & black, so it sure as hell gets noticed!)

It will get noticed but for different reasons to the rcz ;) The ds3 is a fashion fad car hairdressers junior's car :lol: just like the fiat 500 its aimed at the younger generation i have even read that a new model the ds3 prestige plus is coming out at £24,000 :eek: :eek: I am rcz driver though not its greatest fan but the ds3 is miles behind in design and aint built as good into the bargain even if they do share the same engine and you will be correct with engine faults/complaints but these you mention are very rarely heard of on this forum so far

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the welcome, but I'm not a hairdresser, nor am I a member of the younger generation !!

Doncha just love busting stereotypes?!

A

Anonymous

I almost bought a DS3 DSport HDi. My head was saying DS3 but my hearts been saying RCZ ever since they were released. I had a 207 Hdi, hence why I was drawn to the engine and spec. Sometimes (although not very often) I still think I would've been better with the DS3 ... like when I'm trying to park it, or need to go into a multistorey carpark :)
Is it the diesel DS3 you have? The RCZ is so much faster, obviously, and returns a decent mpg - I'm nudging 50mpg now with 4000 miles on the clock and I'm 'just' doing the daily half country/half suburban commute. I'll be really pleased to get 50mpg with my 'wee red sports car' :)

A

Anonymous

gar074 said:
Thanks for the welcome, but I'm not a hairdresser, nor am I a member of the younger generation !!

Doncha just love busting stereotypes?!

I WAS stereo -typin the car dude and dont these cars come with GSD'S AS STANDARD :lol: I have only stated the obvious as far as the ds3 is concerned AGAINST THE RCZi f you want one just buy it or better still test drive the rcz i would go for the 200gt as the rcz is heavier than the ds3 for a real comparison then come back and let us know your honest thoughts or test drive the demon juiced derv version as your not a fan of the thp engine :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
dont these cars come with GSD'S AS STANDARD :lol:

Sorry old bean, I don't understand your banter. GSD? German Shepherd Dog, perhaps?

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:
Is it the diesel DS3 you have? The RCZ is so much faster, obviously, and returns a decent mpg - I'm nudging 50mpg now with 4000 miles on the clock and I'm 'just' doing the daily half country/half suburban commute. I'll be really pleased to get 50mpg with my 'wee red sports car' :)

Hiya!! No, I've got a petrol DS3, which is pretty quick (155 hp) but only does 41 mpg - pretty good for a pokey petrol, but with a 150-mile daily commute, a diesel looks more & more attractive, even allowing for the higher pump price!

A

Anonymous

gar074 said:
Hiya!! No, I've got a petrol DS3, which is pretty quick (155 hp) but only does 41 mpg - pretty good for a pokey petrol, but with a 150-mile daily commute, a diesel looks more & more attractive, even allowing for the higher pump price!
The diesel engine is simply amazing :thumbup: You could do a lot worse than buy a 2.0HDi GT.

A

Anonymous

The write-ups seem very positive, so I'll certainly give the diesel a try, although I'm a petrol-head at heart so it will be quite a wrench.