What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Stereo folder sorting from USB

A

Anonymous

I am having some trouble with the RD5 Stereo and my 32GB USB 2.0 Memory stick.

I have laid my music out in 1 folder per CD album and i have 66 folders of music and appx 1200 mp3's.

Everything plays fine except for the ordering of my folders.

I have named my folders like this:

1. Album Name
2. Album Name
3. Album Name
etc...

However upon turning on the stereo it starts from

31. Album Name
46. Album Name
47. Album Name
48. Album Name
Goes in order for a while
11. Album Name
12. Album Name
and so on

It not exactly random and not exactly the order it should be.

How exactly is the sorting method functioning and how can i get my folders to play in order?

P.S I have checked random/shuffle and its disabled.

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Don't really know how that works. I have mine without any numbers and it just goes alphabetically. Tho i only have 8 albums.

Have you tried removing some? For the sake of experimenting, just use 5 or 10 folders and see if they still aren't in the same order or perhaps it works then. Maybe it's just too many and the system can't handle it.

A

Anonymous

I suspect this is down to the different way pc's and the Peugeot software handle usb sticks. Windows will always display a correctly sorted list regardless of the actual order on the stick. But Peugeot's software doesn't, it tends to work on the sequence the files/folders were added.

So if you have added more albums/folders to the stick since adding the initial ones this will stop the contents of your stick from being displayed correctly.

There is downloadable software which can force a physical re-sort on the stick. One example is Fat Sorter (so named because usb sticks use FAT32 file format) which you can find here http://www.murraymoffatt.com/software-problem-0010.html

Worth a try... Let us know if it fixes it for you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Well every song i've ever put in regardless of when always goes alphabetically. But i always make a proper name of them on the USB stick (fileinfo).

A

Anonymous

I found the same, with the album running order. By inputting 01, 02, 03 etc resolved the issue of tracks being played out of sequence.

A

Anonymous

stevebasshead said:
There is downloadable software which can force a physical re-sort on the stick. One example is Fat Sorter (so named because usb sticks use FAT32 file format) which you can find here http://www.murraymoffatt.com/software-problem-0010.html

I tried this site, downloaded: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

Opened it, loaded my USB stick and surprise the #1 in the list was the 1st one my Peugeot plays!!!

Resorted list and fingers crossed i think that may have sorted it, i will report back after i drive to work this morning but i am quietly confident this has solved the issue :)

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
I found the same, with the album running order. By inputting 01, 02, 03 etc resolved the issue of tracks being played out of sequence.

Exactly that^^

If you have over 100 you will need to number them:

etc..

As the order they are sorted into depends upon the first number in the sequence.

A

Anonymous

Numbering songs within a folder will certainly guarantee they are played in order within the album but surely numbering albums is a high maintenance option? Because if you add another album(s) to the usb stick later on you have to renumber all the albums that come after it alphabetically assuming you want them to remain findable in alphabetic order.

It may not be too bad with a small number of albums but a 32gb stick can hold a significant number of albums :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Some of those USB music boxes also validate the "last change" date of a folder or file.
When you add new content to the USB drive the system will consider it as "new" compared to the old stuff, even if the old stuff starts with letter A and the recently added content with letter Z.
A solution for that is to overwrite all folders with the same date stamp.

A

Anonymous

Neonic said:
stevebasshead said:

I tried this site, downloaded: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

Opened it, loaded my USB stick and surprise the #1 in the list was the 1st one my Peugeot plays!!!

Resorted list and fingers crossed i think that may have sorted it, i will report back after i drive to work this morning but i am quietly confident this has solved the issue :)

Thanks!

This worked! It was nothing to do with the numbering of the folders, after using this application to resort the folders they now play in order.

5 *'s for this answer!