What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

steering too light

A

Anonymous

Hi all,
Is it just my car or do all rczs drive the same, as mine is the only one i have ever driven. But i find the steering tends to wonder a lot even when on mototrways when in lane one and the road road surface has hgv grooves in tarmac. :shock: I was exiting the motorway yesterday off slip road and wheel suddenly lurched to left in grooves, even noticed this when driving in towns, i know having 19 inch wheels does not help this situation as i had an audi a4 with 19 inch wheels which did wonder a little but no where near as bad as the rcz.Or could there be an underlying problem with steering? :thumbdown:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Not noticed this with mine but then I " only" have 18 inch wheels.

I did use to find this a big problem with my Mini. It felt that you were constantly fighting with the steering wheel. It wasn't a relaxing car to drive and gve me shoulder pains.

A

Anonymous

You mention that the hgv grooves were an issue to you, so it could be this. However I would state that my car steering is excellent. No wandering at all. Will drive around corners at higher speeds than I would ever have attempted in any previous car. Most people on here describe the steering "as if on rails" and with that statement I would totally agree. So if your problem persists get it checked out as it is not a complaint that has been aired on this forum

A

Anonymous

I've noticed that under heavy acceleration the steering can become twitchy but I would expect that.

A

Anonymous

xzibit206 said:
I've noticed that under heavy acceleration the steering can become twitchy but I would expect that.
Well I wouldn't. Not in a RCZ as the steering is very well balanced

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Is this an example of 'tramlining'? That is, the wheels wanting to follow grooves in the road.

Remember, we have 235 tyres (same for both wheel sizes), so it's quite a big contact patch. The tyres are this wide to give the grip and handling. If you think back to school and remember Newton's Third Law of motion, you can see how forces on the tyres can be felt at the steering wheel.

In this cas it would appear that y7wag is feeling the tyres wanting to follow the HGV grooves, and having to apply corrections.

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
Is this an example of 'tramlining'? That is, the wheels wanting to follow grooves in the road.

Remember, we have 235 tyres (same for both wheel sizes), so it's quite a big contact patch. The tyres are this wide to give the grip and handling. If you think back to school and remember Newton's Third Law of motion, you can see how forces on the tyres can be felt at the steering wheel.

In this cas it would appear that y7wag is feeling the tyres wanting to follow the HGV grooves, and having to apply corrections.

Yes Pete. You'll always get this problem on cars with wide and very low profile tyres. It's the profile that is the biggest cause of it because the tyre is so 'thin' there is virtually no room for it to flex and adapt to the changes in the road surface. You will find that it will pull you all over the place in a badly rutted motorway lane because the track of a car is narrower than that of a truck, so you end up with the tyres in one side, but on the other side it's riding the edge of the rut. The only proper solution is to fit larger profile tyres, but the RCZ would look like a tractor with a 50 or 55 profile. :lol: